Tithing

by dothemath 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dothemath
    dothemath

The Society has always been against tithing..........a stand they took from early times and which hasn't changed...........

Do you think they now wish they had incorporated tithing, with all the money they seem to be requiring. (Ex.- every year the donation options mentioned prominently in the Watchtower)

Tithing has obviously worked well for the Mormons, what would happen if they now decided to include this "principle" today?

The donations I give are almost nill.......just a token.

• monkeyshine
    monkeyshine

I think that would be something they could not do no matter what. It's one of their main attractions and selling points. But there always is another way. ???

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

They'd have to be crazy to try and pull off titheing. But I think they will just concentrate on regular resolutions to send Brooklyn more cash. Also, make the property donation arrangement more prominent.

• heathen
    heathen

It is interesting how they ignore that old testament principal while everything else seems to have a modern day fullfillment or application . Not hard to find what the first christian church did in Acts of apostles , they sold everything they owned and shared equally from their supplies , tithing is not something commanded but the apostle Paul did say things that made it acceptable for him to take gifts .I am surprised at this point that they haven't encouraged the selling off all privately owned property and built compounds where they grow their own crops kinda like the Amish . Say the end is so close and you can't take it with you anyway ........

• Arthur
    Arthur
    It is interesting how they ignore that old testament principal while everything else seems to have a modern day fullfillment or application .

Excellent point heathen.

Had they not demonized college educations so much, many Witnesses would have higher paying jobs; which would make tithing more reasonable. No way will they ever institute tithing. Too many Witnesses are barely scraping by.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

They would never dare try to impose tithing, they couldn't get away with it. It would cost them more in terms of people who would probably stop attending than they'd make.

I'm sure they are trying to think of ways to bring in more funds, but I doubt tithing is one of them

• kerj2leev
    kerj2leev

Had they not demonized college educations so much, many Witnesses would have higher paying jobs; which would make tithing more reasonable. No way will they ever institute tithing. Too many Witnesses are barely scraping by

Higher education promotes free thinking which is exactly what the Org. doesn't want. The majority who are smart enough to get one probably won't be hanging around to donate anything!

• garybuss
    garybuss

Tithe . . . part of one's annual income contributed voluntarily or due as a tax, especially for the support of the clergy or church.

They are doing it now. Congregations tithe, maybe not a tenth, maybe more. Circuits tithe, heavily. Congregations pay a part of their income as a solicited "donation" paid to the Society for the support of the circuit overseers and district overseers. Circuits pay a part of their income for support of the Society [or church]. Circuits pay well over a tenth. Individuals are solicited, pressured, and courted to support the congregations and the circuits in their payment of due.

Districts pay 100% tax to the society.

I think the Society would not settle for a measly 1/10th, I think they want it all.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Good points have been made. I don't think they could institute tithing per se, it would cut against too much of what they've said in the past. But they use the "principle" to beat money out of the flock every chance they get. I'm with Gary, I don't think a tenth is enough for them.

• sspo
    sspo

Gary got it right

They don't have to impose tithing, but they can continue to raise the " voluntary " donation per publisher to take care of CO- DO -insurance-purchase of cars and so on.

I think it's funny in the yearbook they show how much they spent in taking care of Bethelites-CO-DO, it's the rank and file paying for all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit