Do YOU Still Act Like A Jehovah's Witness?

by minimus 20 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Some habits are hard to break. Many of us were raised as JWs and when people try to 'put you down', they might say something like, "You're still acting like a Witness". I wonder whether or not we sometimes do exhibit Witness "traits". Or are we at times narrow minded, petty, argumentative,black and white, feeling we're better than another, etc---- simply because that's just the way we are---whether we ever were JWs or not. What's your opinion, now that you are a former JW or one who has repudiated the beliefs of the Witnesses?

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i dont think i do. i'm more balanced now, when i first quit going i assumed all " WORLDLY" people were wild and avoided contact with anyone, now i'm more balanced and don't judge or even think of people as "worldly" anymore. i was humbled when i found so much more christian love in people , even atheists put me to shame with their kindness. it took a conscious effort to shake the JW out of me.. i hope i dont act like one anymore in conversations or anything.

• blondie
    blondie

Of course, being a JW is not monolithic.

The important thing is to examine what you believe outside the JW/WTS construct and see if you want to keep it. Not everything JWs believe or do should be rejected. Not everything they do or believe is exclusive to the JW/WTS.

Blondie

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Well, I don't go on the ministry, I don't smoke or swear - is that what you mean?

My mind set has changed totally though. I am far more tolerant of others. This board is great for teaching you that. The behaviours that I show now are my own, not those proclaimed in the WT.

I think that when you are a dub, there are those things that you do because you really feel it inside, and then there are the things you do because it is laid down by "The Society" and you do it out of obedience . Those are the things that you drop.

• minimus
    minimus

I see sometimes an ex can be judgmental, intolerant, very black and white. On the board I see this often. Can we blame this on formerly being a Witness or is this just the way some people are?-------BLUES, why do you say going "on" the ministry?? Is that a Brit thing??

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I wasn't raised as a jw, so the jwisms I had were learned as an adult and, though I still have my moments, I am rid of most of them now.

I suppose when you've had stuff like that ingrained into you from birth, it is harder to get rid of.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Do YOU Still Act Like A Jehovah's Witness?

In other words, do I still behave like an asshole sometimes?

Yes. It's tough to lose a skillset it took 20 years to acquire.

W

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings Minimus,

Re: Do YOU Still Act Like A Jehovah's Witness?

A resounding NO! For years now, I have gone, and will continue to go out of my way to make sure no EVER mistakes me for a dubass.

My wife & I just got back from Las Vegas trip with six other ex-dub family members. We gambled, smoked cigars, went to a burlesque show....... blah blah blah. (lthough some dubs do that too.)Hypocrites!

At one time all of us were at a Blackjack Table @ 3:00 am in the morning rasing holy hell. We told the BJ dealer we were all family members,and all former Joehover's Witnesses. Here's his question "Jehovah's Witnesses, are they the ones that believe in NOT having any furniture?" Needless to say the dubs in the Vegas area sure have fallen short of spreading their doom and gloom bullshit. They've failed miserably. Just another example of just how pip-squeak, meaningless, and a screwball cult they are.

Dismembered

• minimus
    minimus

Dis, sounds to me the dealer was stupid. Hope you all made lots of money off of him. He sounds like a moron. I hope you corrected and told him JWs don't believe in having pets or something. Or flags. .....FF, you are funny!

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

No I don't. I have learned to be tolerant of what others think, feel, believe, practice and say. I don't have a corner on the truth anymore, as The Watchtower use to teach us. I have learned to be a good listener not being preachy or moralizing others. What a diversified group of people we can learn from. This forum has been a big help enabling me to crack the watchtower encasement that they and only they have the corner on the truth. Minimus, your many post's and topics,and questions, gave us all pause. Your contributions that helped me to move on are much appreciated.

Blueblades

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit