What Is A Good Friend To You?

by minimus 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

To me a true friend:

Loves her friends unconditionally

Encourages her friends to be the people they are supposed to be

Is someone to call any time of the day for no reason at all ("I just spent $50 at the bookstore instead of reading that book you gave me about not buying so much stuff" LOL)

• juni
    juni

Sounds so cliche, but a good friend listens to what I have to say and makes me laugh. Makes me feel comfortable, is trustworthy and kind. Is interested in what I have to say. Also someone who overlooks my Ms Crankypants days.

Not afraid to tell me if they think I'm going the wrong way w/stuff- I will listen to those who I value as a good friend. A good friend is good for my soul.

Juni

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Good Girl:

Good points you make and I agree with the last two. However, (just cause I'm in a picky mood this morning), 'unconditional' love is unrealistic unless it is a parent's love for their child. It would mean "I love you no matter what you do." I don't even feel that way about Mr. Bee.

Certain 'conditions' are met when you decide that this is someone you want to be friends with, so if those 'conditions' are betrayed, I wouldn't necessarily expect that loyalty would continue. For example, finding out they are: a cheater, a thief, physically violent, dishonest, disloyal to you, etc.

• JH
    JH

When you care for another person as much as for yourself, then it's real friendship

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Good Girl:

Good points you make and I agree with the last two. However, (just cause I'm in a picky mood this morning), 'unconditional' love is unrealistic unless it is a parent's love for their child. It would mean "I love you no matter what you do." I don't even feel that way about Mr. Bee.

Certain 'conditions' are met when you decide that this is someone you want to be friends with, so if those 'conditions' are betrayed, I wouldn't necessarily expect that loyalty would continue. For example, finding out they are: a cheater, a thief, physically violent, dishonest, disloyal to you, etc.
    OK, bizzy, I see your point. I'll modify it then to this: Unconditional love with regards to my pursuits in life. Obviously a true friend expects and encourages one to be a good person, relatively speaking, but even if you mess up, they'd still be your friend. If I purposely did something that would harm my friend, I wouldn't expect them to stay my friend. But if I made a mistake and felt genuinely sorry for it, a true friend would still be there. If I wanted to be a JW a true friend would be there. If I wanted to leave JW's and never look back, a true friend would be there. So I guess those are my thoughts when I say "unconditional" love. I gotta go get me some coffee now.

• minimus
    minimus

Loyalty is the most important quality in a good friend. Too often, many "friends" are only friends if they party with you but if something negative happens in your life, they are rarely "there" for you.

• Peaches-n-Cream
    Peaches-n-Cream

Someone who I can trust. Who will love me for me ,and stand by my side even if they don't always agree with me. One that I can go to with my problems and my joys and they will cry or celebrate with me.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Loyalty is the most important quality in a good friend. Too often, many "friends" are only friends if they party with you but if something negative happens in your life, they are rarely "there" for you.

Yeah, and it often depends on who's paying for the party too. It's amazing how much free time I have now that I've stopped buying my friends. W

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

This I can total agree with!

• minimus
    minimus

My daughter used to think, when she was a teen, that having a lot of "friends" was what should be strived for. I always told her that if you have 1 or 2 true friends in your life---you're fortunate! A true friend is one that you can count on----no matter what!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit