Kids under the age of 18 who get baptized...

by WTFBBQPWNT 18 Replies latest jw friends

• garybuss
    garybuss

I was baptized by Jehovah's Witnesses at age 12 and my baptism is not valid as a contract. Can't see why I'd need a law.

• WTFBBQPWNT
    WTFBBQPWNT
    I was baptized by Jehovah's Witnesses at age 12 and my baptism is not valid as a contract. Can't see why I'd need a law.

Because this could help eliminate your record with them. Clean slate.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I have a clean slate with them. They're the ones who are in deep shit with me.

• WTFBBQPWNT
    WTFBBQPWNT
    I have a clean slate with them. They're the ones who are in deep shit with me.

haha I know what you mean. My parents want to do the whole "shunning" thing with me, so I act like I don't care. (I actually don't.) They, in turn, start un-shunning me for this and want to know why I am making it out to be their fault? It's not that. It's just that THEY made the choice to shun me. They choose to belong to an organization that dictates how much or how long you can love your children.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I don't know your story WTF. If you are under 24, go slow. If you are dependant on your parents or any Witness for any of your basic needs, remember the golden rule, that is: (s)he with the gold, rules.
    From "The Game Rules For Life" by Doug Kelley page 157 . . . "FACT 1: It Takes a Lot of Money to Live."
    I'm 62, I walked away from the Witness life when I was 30. I was a believing walkaway for the next 18 years and I was 50 when I faced my parents.
    My advise to everybody is: Don't do anything to hurt yourself. If you want to do something that might hurt you, wait three days and if it still seems like a good idea, wait three more, repeat until sanity returns.
    If yer over 24, have NOTHING to loose, and have a million bucks in the bank, THEN crap in your own nest. :-)

(Doug Kelly's book is ISBN: 0-9671223-1-7)

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I wouldnt hold my breath waiting for that one. I remember back in the 60's and 70's being told Jesus didnt get baptized until he was 30 so dont rush it. I think the main reason I got baptized was to use the hall for a wedding you had to be baptized and I was pleasing my wife and mother in law.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS is not the only religion that baptizes people under the age of 18. Also in the US it would be an issue of freedom of religion. If you tried to get a law drafted that only targeted the WTS, it would not go anywhere; all religions who baptize people under 18 would have to be targeted. I don't see that happening in my lifetime.

Blondie

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

Let's not forget.... there is a world of difference between what JWs refer to as baptism, and what almost everyone else refers to as baptism. It's not just that the details vary, i.e. sprinkling vs. dunking, etc., but that the entire meaning of the ordinance is different with JWs.

I don't know of any other church that expects a baptized member to find all the answers for themselves from that point forward, like the JWs do. Can you imagine the Catholics expecting a newly baptized infant to be "mature in the religion" from that moment forward? Do other churches hold baptism over peoples' heads like a sword ready to smite them down if they step out of line, like the JWs do? None that I know of would even consider doing such a thing.

With JWs baptism is a matter of gaining added control over the individual. For most other religions, baptism is a way of the individual gaining added control over the powers of evil. There's simply no comparison.

Susan

• Mary
    Mary
    Why don't they follow the example of Jesus and only allow people to get baptized after they are 30 years old? That would solve soooo many problems.

Yes, but they know full well that their membership numbers would drop off even more dramatically and it would also deny them the Right of DF'ing people who question their authority. As far as I'm concerned, if a Dub gets baptized as a Minor, then they shouldn't be tried as an adult in a kangaroo court in the Second School.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit