Kids under the age of 18 who get baptized...

by WTFBBQPWNT 18 Replies latest jw friends

• WTFBBQPWNT
    WTFBBQPWNT

Should be allowed to revisit their decision and either revoke or keep their baptism. This is too major of a decision to be placed in the hands of minors. The mental anguish that can result from it is something that kids should be protected against.

How would one even start the process of getting this passed as a law?

• earthtone
    earthtone

Hmm,

I don't think that is possible. The borg is a law unto itself!

• Zico
    Zico

Doubt it would be possible to enforce a law. Really, the Society should state though that kids at 8/9 should NOT be allowed to get baptised. It is ridiculous that an 8 year old kid can be disfellowshipped and shunned, and it is hypocritical to criticise infant baptism and push ones this young to do it.

I was baptised at 13, far too young. As if I knew what I was doing! And now I can't say anything, because I'm too afraid of losing my family... :(

It makes me so angry!!!

• WTFBBQPWNT
    WTFBBQPWNT
    Doubt it would be possible to enforce a law. Really, the Society should state though that kids at 8/9 should NOT be allowed to get baptised. It is ridiculous that an 8 year old kid can be disfellowshipped and shunned, and it is hypocritical to criticise infant baptism and push ones this young to do it.

CONTROL! That's what's most important to the Watchtower Society.

Nothing you can do about it. Absolutely nothing.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Anyone under the age of majority, which is 18 in the UK, is too young to make that kind of decision, knowing how things will go for them if they go back on it.

The wts won't adopt a policy to prevent baptism of pre - teens though, virtually the only people getting baptised in some areas are the kids of jws, and we all know how fond the wts is of those stats.

• hambeak
    hambeak

Actually a person who was baptized and not really aware of the commitment they were making at the time can go before the jc and let them know they don't believe their baptism was valid, therefore they want to be either rebaptized or initiate another BS or claim they were under pressure from family or friends. This happened in my cong. several times. I was baptized at 10 and rebaptized at 19

• WTFBBQPWNT
    WTFBBQPWNT

Actually a person who was baptized and not really aware of the commitment they were making at the time can go before the jc and let them know they don't believe their baptism was valid, therefore they want to be either rebaptized or initiate another BS or claim they were under pressure from family or friends. This happened in my cong. several times. I was baptized at 10 and rebaptized at 19

But the key question is: would they have let you out if that had been your decision when you were 19?

• south african beef
    south african beef

Why don't they follow the example of Jesus and only allow people to get baptized after they are 30 years old?

That would solve soooo many problems.

Zico, we are feeling your dilemna, but just to let you know that I have been out for over 4 years, my whole family are in and have been for over 50 years, but I personally am very very happy.

Regards

SAB

• restrangled
    restrangled

I may be mistaken here, but didn't Christ himself get babtized at age 30?

I was under such pressure at age 14 I couldn't deny it. I remember crossing my fingers behind my back as I stated my commitment out loud at the assembly. Infact I remember not saying yes, just mouthing it. But I am still considered commited at age 47. I am now being shunned for that little scenerio.

r.

• Apathy
    Apathy

I've gotten a lot of pressure lately to get baptised, and it's annoying as hell. Occasionally 'helpful' brothers will take me aside and ask me about my spiritual goals and tell me how baptism is so important. At a recent talk, the most 'helpful' of these brothers was giving a talk about how all the young people in our congregation should be getting baptised and said, looking at me, that the Elders "urging you to work toward baptism is not 'pressure', it's encouragement, and while the congregation would never force you to get baptised, you can't use the excuse that you don't want to be pressured into it." I was seething.
    O I've some stories about that 'helpful' ministerial servant. What a douche.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit