Can the JWs really be called Christians?

by greendawn 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

blondie,

That is true that it is Christ who will determine if you are a true christian or follower of him. And never would I try to judge anyone individually as if I could make that determination. But, the JW's for the most part are not even on the path of following Christ because the WT society has diverted them away. They do not let anyone go to Christ, put faith only in him, or accept his sacrifice by observing the memorial. It is sad because the majority of the Witnesses if they knew the truth about Jesus and how really loving and light his load is and what freedom they would have, would readily drop the heavy WT load and embrace Christ. Lilly

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I accept that Jesus' parable of the 'wheat and weeds' make it possible that individuals would measure to the judgement standards he uses. I do not think any organization or church would or can.

I do suspect that not many would be 'gleaned' - but I think it prudent to leave the judging to the Judge. I always considered myself Christian while a witness - though I know now that I was far off the mark of what either Jesus or most people would consider that to be. I would hope and pray that He find some worthy of the tag - there are some mighty fine persons within that group, some of them family of many here. Most would not fit the calling - but I suspect some do and will.

Jeff

• blondie
    blondie

I still stand by what I say. I had too many years being part of a group that spent too much time deciding who was approved by God and who was not and not enough time seeing if they measured up to the same requirements as individuals. I find it counterproductive and figure it is better to set a good example.

Blondie

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

Is partaking of the eucharist really so crucial in determining one's Christian credentials?

Those who wish to expel the JWs from their definition of "Christian" have excelled in pointing out how aberrant are Dub beliefs, but have they factored in that JWs are modestly acquainted with the Bible? That JWs go from door to door in an attempt to carry out Jesus' commands? That more than most mainstream Christians, JWs have followed (too?) strictly Jesus' anti-materialistic way of life?

I'm not saying that these make them "good" or "true" Christians or whatever title you crown yourselves with, but I'm saying that these traits make it hard to see WHY they are NOT Christian.

Those who dismiss that JWs are Christian ought to remember that in the Gospels, the apostles who were jostling to be as close as possible to Jesus' seat of power in heaven were told off by their Lord.

INQ

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

JW's havn't 'rejected Christ and his work on the cross'. They profess full faith in Jesus and what he did. They only have a different version of it to most Christians.

"Using the name jehovah to begin with is strange since neither the apostles nor the Jews for a long time use it. Now talking about the Father and the old testament is natural and correct but it's the emphasis they got wrong."

It's ridiculous to say that using the name Jehovah (which is not what they would have used) is 'strange' considering that YHWH (Yahweh being the most probably pronunciation) is recorded 7,000 times in the OT. There is no proof that Jesus and the apostles didn't use God's OT name, at least occasionally, and possibly whenever they were quoting from the Hebrew Scriptures, despite the absence of the tetragrammaton in nearly all extant versions of the Septuagint. Over the past several decades many fragments of ancient Greek versions of the Hebrew Scriptures have been discovered wherein the divine name was found written, usually in Hebrew letters. This indicates that the divine name was used in some Greek versions until well into the ninth century C.E. Keep in mind also that the Septuagint is a translation into Greek of the Hebrew scriptures but it is widely believed that Jesus and the apostles spoke Aramaic, not Greek.

What do you mean 'the emphasis they got wrong'. Read the gospels again and ask yourself who Jesus put the emphasis on...himself or the Father?

JW's appear to have elevated the 'organisation' above Jesus Christ, but that doesn't mean they are not Christians. The argument can just as easily be made that the essence of being a Christian is to imitate Jesus, and certainly most Christians today are failing to imitate Jesus by the way they more or less ignore the Father.

• Geronimo
    Geronimo

EX JW 4 ever I'm not yelling. I use large font so I canread my posts. Sometimes its best to not pre-judge situations. G

• Sirona
    Sirona

Short answer: No

Longer answer: I don't believe they can be called Christians because they don't deify Jesus, neither do they allow worship of him. They warp the bible to suit their own "Jehovah is separate from Jesus" doctrine.

Sirona

• material BOY
    material BOY

do you know as my many years as a jw i never felt like i knew jesus at all!!

i found that there main concerns were bad accociation, being sperate from the world

armageddon. paradise. god.

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Jehovah's Witnesses as a body, by their very name are not witnesses to the glory of Christ, however..

...there are authentic Christians within the ranks of the Watchtower. They just haven't seen the true glory of Jesus yet.

Acts 1:8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you. You will be witnesses to me in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the uttermost parts of the earth."~Jesus

Revelation 5:12-14 Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing. And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever. And the four beasts said, Amen. And the four and twenty elders fell down and worshipped him that liveth for ever and ever.

When a JW realizes that Jesus is worthy, not just some recycled angel, they are changed.

Matthew Henry's Commentary;

v8-14 It is matter of joy to all the world, to see that God deals with
    men in grace and mercy through the Redeemer. He governs the
    world, not merely as a Creator, but as our Saviour. The harps were
    instruments of praise; the vials were full of odours, or incense, which
    signify the prayers of the saints: prayer and praise should always go
    together. Christ has redeemed his people from the bondage of sin,
    guilt, and Satan. He has not only purchased liberty for them, but the
    highest honour and preferment; he made them kings and priests;
    kings, to rule over their own spirits, and to overcome the world, and
    the evil one; and he makes them priests; giving them access to
    himself, and liberty to offer up spiritual sacrifices. What words can
    more fully declare that Christ is, and ought to be worshipped, equally
    with the Father, by all creatures, to all eternity! Happy those who
    shall adore and praise in heaven, and who shall for ever bless the
    Lamb, who delivered and set them apart for himself by his blood.
    How worthy art thou, O God, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, of our
    highest praises! All creatures should proclaim thy greatness, and
    adore thy majesty.

• chiddy
    chiddy

of course they cant , they are a mono atheistic sacred name movement cult, if they never pray to Jesus how can they be christians?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit