Can the JWs really be called Christians?

by greendawn 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• greendawn
    greendawn

Given the jehovah centred approach of the JWs and the marginalisation of Christ at least as compared to mainstream Christian religions, the extreme reliance on the Old Testament and particularly the refusal of nearly all JWs to participate in the New Covenent, should they be thought of as Christians at all? Even though they like to call themselves at times: Christian (?!) jehovah's witnesses.

Using the name jehovah to begin with is strange since neither the apostles nor the Jews for a long time use it. Now talking about the Father and the old testament is natural and correct but it's the emphasis they got wrong.

Being the organisation of jehovah instead of the church of Christ and being, say, brothers and sisters in jehovah rather than in Christ just don't sound right. And if most dubs are not part of the new covenent then what are they?

• mouthy
    mouthy

And if most dubs are not part of the new covenent then what are they? Pharisee's& Sadducees---A Christian is a follower Of Christ. During the last supper Jesus said "do this ALL of you " wHere are the" ALL" doing it? Also he said LOVE thine enemies???? Do they??

• carla
    carla

I never thought of them as Christians (followers of Christ) and most people with even the slightest knowledge of them don't consider them Christians either. The ones I talk to anyway. They reject Christ and His work upon the cross. And if they are still holding that Michael/Jesus are one in the same, they sure got the wrong Jesus to begin with. The problem with the Jesus/Michael issue is that most jw's seem confused about that, another unity problem I guess. I never get the same answer from jw's or ex jw's about that, or any other issue for that matter. Look to the literature? haha, yeah right! Try keeping up with the flip flops.

Another point in which they are not Christians is where they confused Jesus and Satan and flip flopped on who was who! Sorry, I could never trust an org that can't even decide if Satan is Jesus or vice versa. A glaring red flag for me.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

greendawn,

I would think that a Christian is a brother/sister of Christ and therefore would be in the new covenant with him. But like you said - the JWs, the majority are told they cannot be in the new covenant. This is a basic requirement of being a Christian. I think the JWs are those who say in that day "Lord, didn't we perform powerful works in your name and expel demons in your name" and the Lord will say "I never knew you". Matthew 7:21. They think they are the only "true" Christians but sadly will most likely be rejected as such.

It is sad because they think they are following Jesus by going door to door but they are not in the new covenant so Jesus does not "know" them. (knowing denotes a personal relationship) By not partaking at the memorial they are not even accepting Christs sacrifice for their sins. I'm sorry to say this and I don't mean to judge but the scriptures are clear on certain basic things.

Of course greendawn, part of the problem for the JWs is the NWT translates John 17:3 as you must "take in knowledge" of God and Christ rather than "know" them to have everlasting life with them. So the JWs feel if they keep going to meetings and studying publications (take in knowledge) they are doing the right thing. This is done purposely I feel as the GB has seated themselves in Christ's position. They do not want anyone to go to Christ as they would loose their power. (same as Pharisees of Jesus day) They even made themselves the mediators of the so called "great crowd" which the majority of JWs are. By this arrangement, they keep everyone from thinking they can be in the covenant and that Christ is the mediator for them. All they have to do is approach him directly. Something the average witness will never do. Lilly

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I consider them christian in the strictest sense of the word. They profess to follow Jesus Christ. However, due to their denial of the basic beliefs of Christian doctrine, I do not consider them Christian nor a sect of Christianity, but as an apostate group of heretics.

• Geronimo
    Geronimo

Why of COURSE they can't be called Christians because THEY DON'T FIT YOUR DEFINITION OR YOUR SECTS DEFINITION OF WHAT CONSTITUTES A CHRISTIAN. Sheesh. G

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

When I was a kid and we were asked if we were Christian or non-christian, all the JWs I knew answered "Jehovah's Witness". We did NOT refer to ourselves as Christians(ever), yet NOW, if one was to say that JWs are not Christian, they would jump down your throat about it.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    Why of COURSE they can't be called Christians because THEY DON'T FIT YOUR DEFINITION OR YOUR SECTS DEFINITION OF WHAT CONSTITUTES A CHRISTIAN. Sheesh. ; ; G

Is there a reason why you must yell?

• blondie
    blondie

In the end if you consider yourself a "real" Christian, you know that it is Christ who will determine who his supporters are.

Blondie

• moshe
    moshe

From a Jewish point of view, they are Christians- But not very good ones, though when compared to others. A guy would starve trying to find a JW soup kitchen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit