Cancel Your Credit Cards Before You Die!

by Sad emo 15 Replies latest social humour

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I hope this reads ok when I post it! I couldn't change the formatting. Here goes!

Be sure and cancel your credit cards before you die. This is so priceless, and so easy to see happening, customer service being what it is today. A lady died this past January, and Citibank billed her for February and March for their annual service charges on her credit card, and then added late fees and interest on the monthly charge. The balance had been $0.00, now is somewhere around $60.00! A family member placed a call to Citibank: *and Family Member: "I am calling to tell you that she died in January."
    Bank: "The account was never closed and the late fees and charges still apply."
    Family Member: "Maybe, you should turn it over to collections."
    Bank: "Since it is two months past due, it already has been."
    Family Member: So, what will they do when they find out she is dead?"
    Bank: "Either report her account to the frauds division or report her to the credit bureau, maybe both!"
    Family Member: "Do you think God will be mad at her?"
    Bank: "Excuse me?"
    Family Member: "Did you just get what I was telling you - the part about her being dead?"
    Bank: "Sir, you'll have to speak to my supervisor." Supervisor gets on the phone:
    Family Member: "I'm calling to tell you, she died in January." Bank: "The account was never closed and the late fees and charges still apply." Family Member: "You mean you want to collect from her estate?" Bank: (Stammer) "Are you her lawyer?" Family Member: "No, I'm her great nephew." (Lawyer info given) Bank: "Could you fax us a certificate of death?" Family Member: "Sure." (fax number is given) After they get the fax: Bank: "Our system just isn't set-up for death. I don't know what more I can do to help." Family Member: "Well, if you figure it out, great! If not, you could just keep billing her. I don't think she will care" Bank: "Well, the late fees and charges do still apply." Family Member: "Would you like her new billing address?" Bank: "That might help." Family Member: "Odessa Memorial Cemetery, Highway 129, Plot Number 69." Bank: "Sir, that's a cemetery!" ! Family Member: "What do you do with dead people on your planet?"

• Dansk
    Dansk

Emo:

Is this really true? It's hilarious!!

Ian

• iamfreenow
    iamfreenow

Emo, that is very funny. I'll have to show it Trevor when I see him, to make sure he complies

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Sadly - I can well believe it. After my grandmother died (13-ish years ago), she was still receiving appointments to attend a hearing test. I kept calling the opticians (where hearing test was done), to inform them of her death....but the reminders continued as they hadn't removed my Nan from their computer (despite being asked to) ...

SO, I wrote a letter FROM my Nan to the optician (giving plot number, and Graveyard as return address), explaining the difficulty I was having in getting to my appointment due to my current state - but if they sent someone along, with a JCB, I'd be happy to attend.

Never heard from them again .

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Nobody knows if this is for real. I just looked on Snopes and they haven't been able to find out either but the email appears to have been circulating for a couple of years. I'd say it's certainly possible!

It reminded me of when my sister phoned to claim my mums life policy when mum died and the lady at the call centre asked my sister "Are you dead?"

• KW13
    KW13

haha hilarious

• greendawn
    greendawn

Banks can be legalistic like that, staff say it's our rules and have no authority to make even minor concessions when common sense dictates this. They could have said "sorry to hear about your relative passing away we didn't know we will not add charges for an esteemed customer under the circumstances"

• moshe
    moshe

A Goggle search for this shows about 100 hits- mostly under "Jokes". That's the trouble with some fictitious stories- they get ressurected on the internet to the true life stories category. My kids have a 93 yrd old great Aunt and I am certain they would never care what grave plot number she is burried in when she dies. The funeral director is the only one who needs that information to give to the grave diggers.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

moshe - my story is true, and I know the Plot number as I personally hold the deeds to my Grandparents plot.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Most banks and credit card companies will close the account if you send them a copy of the death certificate, I had my mom do this right after my dad died, thankfully he had some type of insurance on all his accounts so my mom didn't have to pay them off.

Although I wonder why he bought a new big screen tv just right before he died?????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit