So what exactly IS the unforgivable sin...?

by Kudra 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bebu
    bebu
    So this is like when the JWs say that all the good charitable works that the churches of "the world" do -like run soup kitchens, blood drives etc- are driven by Satan...?

That's a possibility. Perhaps their take on it is that Satan is trying to confuse people, snagging people into 'apostate' churches by bribing them thru charitable-looking things. But if a person really believes that love, kindness, mercy and charity are at heart evil things, then I wonder how definitions could ever be corrected. If they reject love in its barest form, how will a more complicated presentation help them? All that is unmistakeably white is black to them.

It often takes a long while for people to process disturbing information about the WTS and make decisions based on what new things they find. The JW who has never come across any convincing argument (lived in a bubble, perhaps, and no internet) to leave the WTS is a completely separate case from one who sees and understands the undeniable evidence for abundant lies, deceit, false prophecy, and false teaching, and still defends these evil things as "the truth". That's a watershed, imo.

bebu

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    I was always told it was talking or acting against the holy spirit, but I have no idea what that means.

I think that's the key for 99.9999999999 percent of humanity. If one is clueless as to the offense, how can one be held accountable? I believe it is as simple as one who is given total knowledge (not belief) of the Holy Spirit and they reject it - then they must be held accountable. Kind of like looking at the Sun at noon and saying there is no light. I believe they are very few in number. For a person to be in that position, something extraordinarily "spiritual" must have happen. For most of us we must live by faith (not necessarily religious) - something that is fundemental to life. (my 2 cents)

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle
    The unforgiveable sin is a sin over which you do not repent. Really - that's the JW answer,

Seeker4, could you show me where the Society says this in their literature?

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I have very little JW literature with me, all of it is still at my ex-wife's house, and I don't have access to the cds. All I can tell you is that I taught at a few elder's schools and taught two Pioneer schools, and I researched this question pretty thoroughly. I explained this to a lot of people over time.

The reasoning is pretty straightforward and simple. If you truly repent for committing a certain sin, you're forgiven. If you don't repent, that grieves the Holy spirit, and you won't be forgiven for a sin which you do not repent over.

I don't know if you'll find that written that clearly anywhere in WTS literature.
    S4

• Kudra
    Kudra

Oh yeah,
    "grieving the holy spirit"
    forgot that phrase. Never knew what it meant. So- you're causing the "holy spirit" grief. Sooo- if the holy spirit is not an entity that can have feelings -as the WTBTS teaches- how can you cause it grief? I'm sure they have a way around that one.
    thanks everyone for your good answers...
    -K

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit