So what exactly IS the unforgivable sin...?

by Kudra 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Kudra
    Kudra

Nathan Natas- funny- You are always so irreverent... it's great.
    You told me on this other board, when I had not totally been able to see the JWs for what they were that "You have the No. 4 talk on Stockholm Syndrome".

I actually looked that up and thought about it... it helped me on the path to the normal world...
    -K

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

Outlaw,

So true.... So true...

• Twitch
    Twitch
    The unforgivable sin is telling someone that they have an inherited metaphysical defect that requires the intervention of imaginary superheros

:-)

• Kudra
    Kudra

I need the intervention of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
    Last night I was touched by His noodly appendage.
    heh heh
    ;)

• bebu
    bebu

A serious kind of answer...

In the context (in Matt 12 and Mark 3) Jesus had just healed a demon-possessed man who was blind and mute. The pharisees accused him of casting out demons by "Beelzebub, the prince of demons." They had just watched Jesus cure a man was possessed as well as blind and mute... and they called this compassionate act as coming from Satan. In other words, these particular pharisees equated the Spirit of God in Christ as Satan.

People can make a lot of mistakes and have a ton of misunderstandings about God, about Jesus, and about the Holy Spirit or whatever. Those are forgiveable in many ways because of circumstances--if we had better information, for example. But when God did something that was clearly good right in front of the pharisees, something that wasn't any kind of deep theology which they could make a mistake about (esp as they claimed to know and follow God well), they labeled what was (I think most would agree) pure good as evil.

That's how I understand it, anyway.

bebu

• Kudra
    Kudra

Very interesting Bebu,
    So this is like when the JWs say that all the good charitable works that the churches of "the world" do -like run soup kitchens, blood drives etc- are driven by Satan...?
    hmm.

• Arthur
    Arthur

For a man: leaving the toilet seat up.

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

People can make a lot of mistakes and have a ton of misunderstandings about God, about Jesus, and about the Holy Spirit or whatever. Those are forgiveable in many ways because of circumstances--if we had better information, for example. But when God did something that was clearly good right in front of the pharisees, something that wasn't any kind of deep theology which they could make a mistake about (esp as they claimed to know and follow God well), they labeled what was (I think most would agree) pure good as evil.
    That's how I understand it, anyway.

Bebu,

The answer is not complex and you gave a good and simple explanation. They knew they were wrong but their obstinacies and hate overcome what they knew to be true and now visually demonstrated before them. They acted on this and disregarded their consciences and wanted to remove this obstacle to their authority. With knowledge comes responsibility and such knowledge was originally obtained from one of God’s planned provisions for us prematurely obtained a long time ago. It is now a part of all our consciences. This was depicted for us in the Garden when the first human pair ate from the knowledge of good and evil.
    9 And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
    10 And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself. 11 And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat? 12 And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.

With this ability and knowledge came consequences and such consequences could not be deflected as Adam tried to do here. We are all responsible for what we do and if we support a lie like the ones the WT and others are teaching then we cannot deflect it to them when questioned. The lie and any punishment that results is ours to bear in the judgment.

Joseph

• greendawn
    greendawn

It was being extraordinarily evil and beyond all moral sense the Pharisees said that Jesus was making miracles by satan's power and not by Holy Spirit) instead of being pleased for them. They also blasphemed the spirit in the sense that they ascribed the miracles done through it to Satan.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

In the context of Matthew 12, the Jewish religios leaders attributed the miracles of Jesus to Satan. This is the unforgivable sin of blaspheming the Holy Spirit. It could only be done at that time. It has never occured since. All sin is forgivable by God through faith in Jesus Christ.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit