Kidnapped Austrian girl's first interview

by fullofdoubtnow 18 Replies latest social current

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

earthtone

Was she physically abused or sexually? I hope not sexually, she was a little girl when he kidnapped her!

I heard one report say it included sexual assault.

• under_believer
    under_believer

I don't believe that "Stockholm Syndrome" is an acceptable way to describe the mental processes of a ten year old child who is practically raised by someone for almost half their life.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

>After all those years of imprisonment, abuse and mental torture, that she can string together a sentence is a miracle.

She would listen to high quality radio, reading books. Natascha stated that she wanted to have a good education. She did not only "string together a sentence" but her language is brilliant - maybe a little artificial.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Please let me add one more thing: she wrote a public letter before the interview. In this she said something that reminded me of something that I heard from so many JW: she said that there were not only negative aspects in her being kidnapped. She explained that by means of that she abstained from cigarettes, alcohol, and bad friends.

How often did I hear that from a JW.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I've just been reading an update on this story.

Some doctors believe she is currently in a state of euphoria, having escaped after all those years being locked away. They feel that once the euphoria wears off, she will have to endure some traumatic times in the next few years, and will quite probably need psychiatric help for a long time to come.

I hope they are wrong, but I rather suspect they may be right. I would imagine she will have flashbacks to her ordeal, and I sincerely hope she is able to cope. She certainly deserves the best possible chance of a normal life after all she has been through.

• restrangled
    restrangled

To me, this girl represents the human spirit. 8 and 1/2 years in a dark room under submission and she has come out shining! She never lost her will to survive or escape.

Does this kind of ring a bell with anyone? Granted none of us were physically subdued, but mentally we were in this dark room being told what to think, what we could learn, what we could wear, what we could read, what we could watch, what we could feel, who we could associate with, what we could think, what we could do, what music we could listen to and on and on and on.

I applaud her determination and spirit.

May we all learn from this.

r.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

under_believer

I don't believe that "Stockholm Syndrome" is an acceptable way to describe the mental processes of a ten year old child who is practically raised by someone for almost half their life.

I agree with this. For the most part Stockholm Syndrome is applied to adults who experience captivity as a hostage. From the way I understand it these are also short term rather than years or decades. What this girl went through is more similar to what cult survivors experience - a long term authoritarian captivity. fullofdoubtnow

Some doctors believe she is currently in a state of euphoria, having escaped after all those years being locked away. They feel that once the euphoria wears off, she will have to endure some traumatic times in the next few years, and will quite probably need psychiatric help for a long time to come.

I totally agree with this. It is also common for people to come out of these experiences and just want "to get on with life." They often feel like they have wasted so many years and need to catch up with the rest of the world. Inevitably life begins to crash in on them because they don't have the skills to survive in the real world. She has victim/survivor skills now but she needs life skills as well.

I hope they are wrong, but I rather suspect they may be right. I would imagine she will have flashbacks to her ordeal, and I sincerely hope she is able to cope. She certainly deserves the best possible chance of a normal life after all she has been through.

She has some really positive things going for her. Professionals are already there, giving her the support she needs. She has family waiting to embrace her. As problems arise hopefully the professionals will continue to be there and support her. restrangled

To me, this girl represents the human spirit. 8 and 1/2 years in a dark room under submission and she has come out shining! She never lost her will to survive or escape.

I have worked with many survivors of abuse.The strength of the human spirit always amazes me. As long as there is hope they will find ways to survive. Many find a mental way of denying one special part of themselves that no one can touch. It will be interesting to see how the story unfolds

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Lady Lee,

She has some really positive things going for her. Professionals are already there, giving her the support she needs. She has family waiting to embrace her. As problems arise hopefully the professionals will continue to be there and support her.

I feel you are right here, she is going to have plenty of support, and for a long time to come. She does seem to have acquired something of a celebrity status in Austria at the moment, and the rival media networks are competing for her story. While that's what journalists are paid to do, I hope they hold back just a little and give her some breathing space. She seems strong, but they need to listen to the psychiatrist caring for her. I feel the last thing she needs now is to be pressured to write a "best seller", which her story will undoubtedly be if and when it is written.

I agree with you that it will be interesting to see how her story develops, so I will follow it and post updates as and when they happen.

Linda

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

If her doctor's are any good they will limit access to the media, which also might explain the delayed reunion with her family.

Once she is out of that safety blanket she now has she might find her instant fame will take its toll on her and her family

Most survivors never dream of getting this kind of attention

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit