Kidnapped Austrian girl's first interview

by fullofdoubtnow 18 Replies latest social current

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Natascha Kampusch, who was held in what she described as a hen battery for 8 years, has given her first interview to Ausrtrian TV. It's quite a story. This was on Yahoo news.

Kidnapped girl only thought of escape

Wednesday September 6, 05:38 PM

• Email page
    • IM Page
    • Blog this on Yahoo! 360!
    • Print page

VIENNA (Reuters) - Austrian Natascha Kampusch said all she could think of during her eight year kidnap ordeal was how to escape from her "hen battery" and that she was afraid of sparking a killing spree with her flight, Austrian media said.

For the first time since her dash to freedom two weeks ago, Kampusch told Austrian magazine News and daily Kronen-Zeitung about the years she spent in a cell ADVERTISEMENT

"I asked myself again and again 'why among all the million people did this happen to me?'," Kampusch told News.

Priklopil had locked Kampusch in the windowless 6-sq-metre cell in his house in Strasshoff, some 25 km (15 miles) outside the capital, after abducting her on her way to school in 1998.

"I felt like a chicken in a hen battery," Kampusch added. "I promised myself that I would never lose the thought of escape."

"I always thought that I wasn't born to be locked up and to have my life ruined completely," she said. "I despaired about this injustice."

The details of one of Austria's most notorious crimes have kept the nation spellbound since Kampusch escaped from her abductor while he took a phone call outside his house. He committed suicide shortly after by jumping under a train.

A first television interview with Kampusch will be broadcast at 8.15 p.m. (1815 GMT) on state broadcaster ORF.

News and Kronen-Zeitung also were the first to publish pictures of the young woman at the centre of national soul-searching and an international media frenzy.

News shows the now 18-year-old with baby-blue eyes and a bright smile talking to reporters and strolling through the garden of the hospital where she is shielded from media and cared for by doctors and psychiatrists.

KILLING SPREE

Strands of her blonde hair were showing from under a pink and purple scarf, which advisers told her to wear to give her greater options should she want to change how she looks.

In the interview, Kampusch also recalled how Priklopil, who she referred to as "the criminal", had threatened to go on a killing spree if she tried to escape.

"I wasn't scared (for myself) -- I love freedom and for me death is the ultimate freedom, the redemption from him," she said. "But he said all the time he would first of all kill the neighbours, then me and then himself."

Kampusch said she had pondered for a long time about the right timing for her flight.

In another interview with daily Kronen-Zeitung she said she had tried one time to hop out of the car when they were driving through Vienna, but that Priklopil managed to pin her down.

She also recalled how she despaired when she heard about search teams looking for her body after her disappearance.

"I despaired when I got the feeling that they had written me off as a living person," she told News magazine.

"There was hopelessness -- I was persuaded that no one would ever again go looking for me and that I would never be found."

The young woman said she felt her captor's suicide shortly after her escape had been a waste.

"No one should kill themselves," she said. "He could have given me so much information."

"Now we need to reconstruct the very complex circumstances without him."

The ORF journalist who spoke to Kampusch said he was surprised by her confidence but also shocked by the interview.

"Who would have thought that someone who has been locked up for eight years would have so much self-confidence," said Christoph Feurstein in an interview with ORF radio on Wednesday.

"When she (talked about how she) stepped into that cell for the first time -- you could feel her fear."

While ORF has not paid for the interview, the broadcaster has sold international media rights, and all proceeds will go into a fund for Kampusch, her adviser Dietmar Ecker said

It seems almost unbelievable to me that someone could be held for so long without arousing suspicion. She seems to be recovering well, but not surprisingly after such an ordeal, is still receiving psychiatric care

• mama1119
    mama1119

Thats amazing. She sounds like a bright girl. I hope she can get past this and live a normal happy life.

• willyloman
    willyloman

She's a honorary ex-dub, having escaped psychological trauma that is similalr to that often reported by survivors on this forum. Granted, she also endured kidnap, rape and life in a cramped cell, so I am not equating what happened to her to what happened to some dub children, but I suspect there are many kindred spirits here who can identify with her current struggle to find her place in the world.

• under_believer
    under_believer

>She's a honorary ex-dub
    Please, give me a break.
    If anything, ex-JW's are honorary Natascha Kampusches.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

After all those years of imprisonment, abuse and mental torture, that she can string together a sentence is a miracle. That she is bright, aware, intelligent, cogent and self confident-WOW. I am in awe. Puts things in perspective, huh?

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

I heard an interview with her father last night on the BBC--apparently neither her mother nor her father are being allowed to spend any time with her. Her father said this was the decision of the psychiatrists. He, of course, was heartbroken.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

what a strong girl. I'm so glad she is safe now.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Sadly I think her ordeal isn't over. While her body is free her mind still has a lot to do. In the video I saw, there is little emotion. I suspect that when they do come back she will have a very hard time.

It sounds like she has some support (psychiatrist) and her parents are waiting to be reunited with her. I'm not sure why they would wait to do that unless they think it might trigger all the emotions in a flood. Her parents might also be getting some help in what to expect when she does come home.

• earthtone
    earthtone

After all those years of imprisonment, abuse and mental torture, that she can string together a sentence is a miracle.

Was she physically abused or sexually? I hope not sexually, she was a little girl when he kidnapped her!

• Kudra
    Kudra

Read the transcript of her statements to the media- there is definitely someting waaaaaay wrong there.
    Major Stockholm Syndrome.
    Her life is going to be holy hell when (or if) she ever comes to grips with the gravity of that situation...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit