Why don't JWs pursue hobbies?

by Gill 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gill
    Gill

Greendawn - Grapes are flourishing outdoor here in the Midlands - Believe me!!!!!

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I think it depends on what area you live in. One hall in Hingham MA is in a very affluent area. Many dubs played golf, went skiing every year (during the xmas and thanskgiving holidays), went on cruises with other dubs and persued other interests including horseback riding, painting, etc. Then I moved to another cong. while still living near the Hingham hall (pedophile issues) and they did not have as much money. My daughter was ostacized for taking an art class - after service on Saturdays. The elders thought she could spend more time in service. we went out for an hour then dropped her off. My hubby made her quit. My daughter is 14 now, she was around 12 at the time but has true art ability. I was furious. As soon as we left the dubs, I enrolled her in another art class.

• Gill
    Gill

Lovelylil - Good for you! Well done!

• undercover
    undercover

Most JWs that I know have hobbies that are easy to keep up with or require little investment. This way they have their hobby, but it doesn't interfere with "spiritual pursuits". Its when someone takes up a hobby that requires a lot of time and/or money that raises the eyebrows of fellow JWs, who have been indoctrinated to resist pursuing anything that takes away from Kingdom interests.

I have noticed that the occasional JW who really gets into whatever hobby they like, is usually either made fun of or downright harrassed by other JWs. A JW friend of mine loves golf. Golf is already an expensive and time-consuming hobby and a lot of JWs play (myself included, back in the day) but this one brother is what the other JWs consider "obsessed". He plans his weekends around playing and watching it on TV. He visits the pro shop every so often to see what new clubs and accessories are out. He gets a couple of golf magazines in the mail. Because of his love of the game, the other, more "level headed" brothers tease him about his "obsession" and a couple of elders continually counsel him not to let golf take first place in his life.

What most JWs don't realize is that his "obsession" is about normal for a true golfer. Because a lot of his time and energy are spent on golf instead of JW interests, he's the one that has become unbalanced in their eyes. In reality, he is the one that is closer to normal.

• Gill
    Gill

Your hobby is in a way 'you' what you want to really do and enjoy.

Once you let go your hobby - you let go of yourself.

That's what the Watchtower really wants .....TOTAL control!

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

When I was younger I was heavily into fishing (which might surprise some lol) and I remember being criticised for it because it took up whole days at a time; personally I thought the elder was a tosser so ignored him completely and in fact made sure he was around when I came home late on bookstudy night!

His line of questioning was 'so what spiritual advancement have you made whilst you have been out for the day?' (and I am being serious here too).

My response was generally 'well that much is obvious really considering I have been fishing all day....I must shower now!'

Idiots!

DB74

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

I just can't see the average JW male wearing a Casey Jones hat and running his model train around his layout...

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I think JWs are discouraged from having hobbies if it takes them away from study/witnessing. I know guys who loved to go camping, but when a couple of them made MS they were told that their camping was distracting them from witnessing and all things JWs deem righteous. So the guys stopped. I know some JWs that instead of taking a real vacation would "vacation pioneer", everyone was so "encouraged" by these. All I could think was their poor kids.

That being said my mother knits, cross stitches, sews, etc. She is really talented w/ that stuff. She makes all kinds of stuff for people in the hall as gifts. She also teaches any kids in the hall that want to learn how to do it. When I spend time with her, she always has all kinds of thank you notes from kids and their parents. So I agree w/ the poster that said it depends on the hall you go to. But even that said, I have heard JWs say that people need to learn hobbies of things they will need to know how to do in the new system ... so my guess is that wine making, gardening, sewing are deemed acceptable.

• moshe
    moshe

I kept quiet about my interests-

flying, shooting and reloading my own ammo, ham radio, handwriting analysis, leather working, computers, motorcycles, shortwave radio listening, gardening, metal detecting/treasure hunting. I was involved with all of these hobbies at one time or another from 1971 to 1988 while I was in Jehovah's Witnesses. Nobody at the KH was interested in anything much, except an invitation for a free meal and free beer at your home.

• Gill
    Gill

DB That line of questioning from an elder 'What spiritual advancement have you made while fishing' is just so typical....the stuck up arrogant attitude is incredible! That was a cool answer.

looking glass - I take it that as wine making is so acceptable....which it is....they're all going to spend most of their times totally pissed out of their heads in the New System!!

Moshe You sound like your picture looks!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit