Why don't JWs pursue hobbies?

by Gill 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gill
    Gill

In the congregation that we used to go to, and my parents and most of my relatives still do, very few had hobbies and interests other than being bound to the WTBTS.

Many made wine and brewed their own beer. Infact, all of my relatives are wine and beer makers. There are a few gardeners, but I'm hearing how they are trying to grow their own grapes and fruit so that they can make their own wine!

Apart from one other person, who was a bird breeder, in a cong about 20 miles away and two artists, I don't know of any one else who had a hobby that was worth talking about. Most people I know nowadays have some kind of hobby or interest that they actively pursue.

So....why don't JWs have hobbys other than making alcohol??

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

It is subliminally discouraged.

They say that on one hand 'a christian might want to seek a hobby or interest and whilst this can be wholesome, true christians should be careful to avoid allowing such hobbies to detract from spiritual things'.

In essence by all means you can have a hobby but if you are doing your hobby rather than spiritual things then this is not to be encouraged.

So if we take this into account and combine this with the fact that so much of their time is taken in so called spiritual matters it would difficult for any hobby or interest not to encroach on some aspect of their spiritual life.

DB74

• blondie
    blondie

I don't think that is probably a fair sample. Also, many JWs tend to keep any outside activities private due to other JWs criticizing them.

I know JWs that:

Golf

Sew

Bake/Cook for fun

Play the piano

Scrapbook (that's big one)

Woodworking

Write poetry

Exercise

Biking

Camping

Gardening

Photography

Genealogy

Birding

Rock collecting

Crocheting

Quilting

Aquariums

Hiking

Canoeing

Calligraphy

Dumpster diving

Card playing

Skiing

But like I said, they tend to keep quiet about it.

Blondie

• Gill
    Gill

DB! Hi! Yes, I know what you mean. It was generally not something encouraged. JWs don't go round asking eachother what their hobbies might be for fear of detracting time spent on their 'spirituality'.

But! Making alcohol! That's a hot topic at the KH's we used to attend!

• Gill
    Gill

Blondie - 'Dumpster Diving!!!' I think that might be my father's hobby - along with going down the bookies and the National Lottery. But he tends to keep quiet about them. Don't know why.

• Gilberto
    Gilberto

Hobbies are discouraged because if you have time for a hobby you could be doing more for "Jehovah". Not only that from my experience if you are an active JW there is actually little time to have a hobby.

Here are a couple of examples.

*** w04 8/15 p. 24 Tired but Not Tiring Out ***

. One married couple decided to eliminate some of their hobbies and nonessential personal projects. They actually went through their things and literally packed all the materials related to such projects and put them out of sight. Periodically, we can all benefit from taking inventory of our habits and possessions, putting off every unnecessary weight so that we may not get tired and give out in our souls.

w02 8/1 p. 31 Earnest Effort—When Is It Blessed by Jehovah? ***
    . The temptation is to give up in the struggle and become another casualty of Satan’s assault. He may use any of the means at his disposal, be it entertainment or recreation, sports or hobbies, careers or material prosperity, to achieve his designs.

I like this one from 1945 the danger of photography

w54 8/15 p. 508 Endurance Through Hope ***

Hobbies are so varied today that they range from the sedate stamp-collecting to the vigorous athletic exercising. By way of illustration we shall take the common hobby called "photography." A brother finds that this hobby furnishes him much pleasure. His camera records many delightful theocratic assemblies and personal experiences. His "own interests" tell him he needs to keep up with all aspects of this hobby. He buys numerous magazines and reads them. Soon he starts to read books on this hobby, spending more and more time on a "lawful" pursuit. Meetings may be missed to keep up with the latest "camera" magazine. He may even feel it necessary to associate with those outside the truth to learn more about his hobby. This brother’s "lawful" interest has grown to a point where it threatens to undermine his hope. If his "own interest" is not checked and put in its theocratic place, shipwreck is ahead.
  • Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

drinking seems to be a popular pastime with some

• blondie
    blondie

Aint the WT grand? First, we have what is in print and then what really happens privately behind closed doors. Yes, I know the official WT line but the fact remains that even "active" JWs have lots of hobbies. All but one of the ones I listed are hobbies of elders and their wives.

That reminds me I forgot a couple:

Flying

Boating

Snowmobiling

ATVing

Fishing/Hunting

Blondie

• juni
    juni

I agree with you Blondie. Most had hobbies, but just didn't broadcast it. They would show ones who they knew would have no problem with the hobby.

Dumpster diving

Now who could that be?

Juni

• greendawn
    greendawn

Many of the young dubs I knew were often playing bowling, but generally the dubs there were a grim lot.

Gill, can grapes be grown in the UK? Perhaps in the south in greenhouses? Otherwise I suppose it's too cold for vines.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit