WTS "proofs" of Holy Spirit/God's blessing

by Lady Lee 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

under_believer just started a thread on the quick builds as proof of God's blessing. "Kingdom Hall Quickbuilds are only possible with God's Holy Spirit"

But it got me to thinking. What other "proofs" do they claim.

• Quickbuilds as above
    • I went to one of the last huge 8 days conventions in New York. Back then they served real food. The cafeteria was massive and fed thousands in a very short period of time. If I recall they also served breakfast. One of the things they used to claim as "proof" was that the army would come to see how well organized JWs presumably to "learn" something.
    • I'm sure most people here have heard of women being attacked by potential rapists and then praying or invoking God's name or even preaching to the attacker was proof of God's protection.
    • Of course there are also stories of people ready to die when a knock was at the door and two JWs were there to "help" them.

What other "proofs" have there been?

It might be good to put a list together and then find the reality.

Did the army really come in to watch the cafeteria? Or was that just more fiction?

• skyking
    skyking

I recall many a talk stating the brand new hanging rope broke and how the witch DR fell over dead after calling a curse down on a Witness

• blondie
    blondie

Actually the Amish have barn raisings very similar to quick builds...HS must be with them. I know of other nondenominational churches that have built their meeting houses in similar ways.

Here is the WT report on the army and the cafeterias.

w56 2/1 p. 93 The "Triumphant Kingdom" Assemblies of 1955 ***

Volunteer preassembly workers to the number of 250 gave the stadium, with its three grandstands east, north and west, and its concrete steps at the south for standees, a face lift, scrubbing the place out. Tenting was erected outside to the west to house a cafeteria capable of supplying 125,000 hot meals during the five-day assembly. There were two kitchens and serving marquees with a boiler on wheels at the dishwashing tent; also there were four marquees, each 205 feet long and with a total of one mile of tables for the eaters. There were eighteen serving lines to fill their food trays, and a good dinner was served at 2/6, or 35c. During the convention, at recommendation of the American army, which had inspected the cafeteria at Yankee Stadium, Major Faulkner of the British War Department came accompanied by his wife and inspected the cafeteria service. He said he could see that love ran the cafeteria here. Here, as at Vancouver and at American assemblies, the military or civil defense authorities inspecting were impressed with the general organization and efficiency.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Just the other day a JW was telling me how much the 'Jonadab Class' thing was a sign of Gods spirit because the organization was gaining members before Jehovah revealed to them what their hope was. Like the spirit acted first, then the WTS had to catch up. This of course is totally erroneous, but it makes for a great story.
    You can read the thread I started here.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Thanks for the post blondie.

During the convention, at recommendation of the American army, which had inspected the cafeteria at Yankee Stadium, Major Faulkner of the British War Department came accompanied by his wife and inspected the cafeteria service. He said he could see that love ran the cafeteria here. Here, as at Vancouver and at American assemblies, the military or civil defense authorities inspecting were impressed with the general organization and efficiency.

With his wife???? How official is that?

Being impressed is a far cry from coming to learn. How do we know this is even true? It's not like the WTS isn't above a little embellishment when it comes to the truth. The Major and his wife could have been studying with a JW and were invited to the convention just like any study.

skyking

I had NOT heard that one before

drew

I would think they would say Armageddon has been postponed so more people could come in

• jaguarbass
  • I'm sure most people here have heard of women being attacked by potential rapists and then praying or invoking God's name or even preaching to the attacker was proof of God's protection.
  • But I have also heard a story of JW missionaries being killed in the field by thieves. Why didnt God protect them.
  • Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    But I have also heard a story of JW missionaries being killed in the field by thieves. Why didnt God protect them.

The WTS has a spin for everything. In this case they were "giving a fine witness" by remaining faithful even if it meant their lives because they were going to a meeting or going to service.

Or maybe they were killed because they were off to a picnic instead of going to a meeting.

Whatever way the story goes the WTS will find a way to explain it.

Mind you these kinds of things happen to other people to but according to the WTS that doesn't count because they are not JWs

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Here's an interesting one, which thankfully I have not heard in many years. I remember hearing the speculation that God's HS was on the organization because there are no kids with Down's Syndrome or other special conditions being born in the congregations. I was probably half the age I am now, the last time I heard that. Even then I didn't quite believe it.

Like many other rumors, it was easily debunked. I thought of another little girl in another congregation who was autistic. A nice young man in the hall has Down's Syndrome. There's even an article on how to be encouraging to parents who take care of kids with special needs.

Come to think of it now, I'm angry that rumors like that got spread around. They are borne of ignorant and naïve persons, who have frightfully limited contact with other persons, even in the congregation.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

It seems the holy spirit is very selective in who it protects.

Does anybody remember back in the 80s when somebody planted a bomb in a Kingdom Hall in Australia?

I don't remember how many people it killed or injured but I remember an article in the mags about a sister who underwent many surgeries.

L

• Mary
    Mary

What other "proofs" do they claim.
    Quickbuilds as above

Answer: What about the Amish and their barn building?? What about the building of churches, mosques and synogogues? Are these all proof of God's Blessings? After all, mainstream Christianity, Jews and Muslims have far more buildings earthwide than the Witnesses do. I guess they could all use this as proof that God is blessing them.

I went to one of the last huge 8 days conventions in New York. Back then they served real food. The cafeteria was massive and fed thousands in a very short period of time. If I recall they also served breakfast. One of the things they used to claim as "proof" was that the army would come to see how well organized JWs presumably to "learn" something.

How utterly silly. Yes the Witnesses ARE well organized. I don't think anyone would dispute that. But this certainly is no evidence that they have God's Spirit......What about Soup Kitchens and Emergency Shelters for the Homeless? They're all well organized. Does that mean that they have God's blessing?

I'm sure most people here have heard of women being attacked by potential rapists and then praying or invoking God's name or even preaching to the attacker was proof of God's protection.

What about the women who are armed with pepper spray or kick the rapist in the balls? Is this evidence of God's Blessing and Protection?

Of course there are also stories of people ready to die when a knock was at the door and two JWs were there to "help" them.

Ya, I remember seeing a similar experience on Jimmy Swaggart's show many years ago. I also know of people who were depressed and considering suicide and were praying to God and the Mormons showed up. But of course, we'll just ignore that!

What other "proofs" have there been?

A favorite one of mine is where they give some experience of some Witness who found a large sum of money and who turned it in. The insinuation is that Witnesses are the only honest people on planet earth. Meanwhile, the news papers are full of stories of non-Dubs who are just as honest. Do they have God's blessing? Just about anything and everything. Dubs have used ridiculous things like jobs, being at the KH when disaster strikes (we'll ignore the sister who was killed in an accident on the way to a meeting), shopping, travelling......you name it. They can twist EVERYTHING to try and make it appear that they and they alone have God's blessings.

It's ludicrous when you think about it....

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit