If there was no religion

by KW13 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Damn, I miss John Lennon.

That was my thought too... but every time I hear that song I wish the same things as John did...

• juni
    juni

AMEN GOOD GIRL/BAD GIRL.

Peace to you,

Juni

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    AMEN GOOD GIRL/BAD GIRL.

Peace to you,

Juni

Thank you, Juni. Peace to you as well!

• greendawn
    greendawn

Humans are very imperfect and so will be the organisations they make up including religious ones. Is there any advantage in having organised religions with hierarchies rather than losely organised democratic wholes? There are apparently but I also think of losely organised wholes with no leaders no hierarchies and where decisions are democratically taken with everyone participating.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

The world probably would be a better place without all these religions, especially the more extreme, cultish ones.

Then again, if there had never been religion, we wouldn't all be on here taking the pi$$ out of the one most of us were in.

• done4good
    done4good
    Only a society composed of truly mature people can be improved by the absence of organized religion. Until then the illusion and hope that it offers may still be needed.

Interesting take. Even though I am an atheist now, I tend to agree with that statement. Slowly, I think we are getting there though, as it seems the worlds biggest problems today are caused by religion.

j

• delilah
    delilah

Only a society composed of truly mature people can be improved by the absence of organized religion. Until then the illusion and hope that it offers may still be needed.

Yup, Trevor, you said it. Until I read this, I was of the mind, that the world would be a much better place to be. Now, I've changed my thoughts on it. The world is so full of immature people...it would only be more chaotic, I think. Religion, does play a big role in how mature people, govern themselves and adhere to rules and laws.

• moshe
    moshe

I just watched a show about the Celts. The chiefs were finally able to control the waring tribes and clans when Christianity was introduced. The individuals stopped fighting to be number one.

Men of power and wealth have done well in Christian nations. As a belief system it helps protect the rich from being killed by the poor who are being oppressed by the rich. Without religion the rich would have to have paid guards to protect their property from theft.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    For all intents and purposes, Nazism was a religion,

Agree. Here, almost two hours long, is an informative and entertaining Google video: Part One .... Part Two

Edited to add: My sense is that the core problem arises when we transform our beliefs into our reality, and so dismiss what actually is real.

j

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I was thinking today, imagine if people had their faiths and opinions but no actual religion backing them up.

religion is

a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.

Once a number of people agree on certain beliefs it becoms a religion. People are social creatures who like to gather with like minded creatures. Religions kind of like a club where people can reenforce their beliefs. I think the communist tried or try to outlaw religion. But then people are that much more determined to get together. Its like when an authority figure tells someone they cant do something they become more determined to do it.

of course not everybody is social. Not everybody likes to get together with like minded people. So not everybody goes to church. I kind of think most people if not everybody is working an angle. So you have to examine what each person gets out of belonging to a religion. And it verys from person to person. You have shepard types and you have sheep types. Then some people go to a church just to hedge their bets to play it safe, have one foot in the door. They arent sure. Probably as some people get older and closer to death they want a little insurance policy. Young people might go to church trying to discover whats going on. It takes all kinds.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit