Help ... Any handy men/women out there

by looking_glass 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• zeroday
    zeroday
    I don't know, maybe it is the god's way of saying I should not use a microwave because it is not the healthiest option to cook w/.

After a hard days of work there's nothing like coming home to rub two sticks together to start a good ole fashioned fire to cook the grub for the family. Now, take that "not the healthiest option" and ask yourself, Do I have the time to hunt game, fish for fish and start a bbq in the back yard to feed my family. My self, I'd rather go to my local grocer and pick out my favorite Stoffers frozen food dish, pop it in the "EE GAD GOD FORBID MICROWAVE" oven and enjoy........

Take above said with a grain of salt......

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

No offense taken Z. If I took every obstacle as the "god's way" of telling me something, I would never get out of bed in the morning.

Ta - L_G

• mustang
    mustang

Uhmm, this is a tough situation.

I'm an Electrical Engineer and I know exactly what is needed to work on those; but as the previous commenter said, these are low-priced consumables.

Do the 'external stuff' first: check the outlets, fuses and circuit breakers associated with the circuit branch.

Then, I am going to give you some warnings:

First, these are NOT SERVICEABLE BY THE USER, unless you have considerable ELECTRONIC experience.

You will see a sticker/placard to that effect on the covers you have to remove. 'They' mean it and 'they' are DEAD serious.

Electrical, mechanic and 'handyman' experience doesn't count: the only moving parts are the fans. There are no 'intuitive' cues that the normally mechanically inclined person can use to figure these things out.

There is usually a simple but decent schematic pasted on a cover. This is for the service person, although they usually have their own books. This diagram is not meaningful unless you have extensive experience, as microwave ovens have a few 'shortcuts' in their design that you need to be familiar with. Those shortcuts keep the cost down but will surprise even a person with the proper credentials the first time they encounter them.

And: THE VOLTAGES PRESENT ARE VERY HAZARDOUS!!!! LETHAL is the term used here, but DEADLY will do as well.

Next, these things are small TRANSMITTERS; small but high powered, usually a kilowatt or so. That accounts for part of their danger.

The Transmitter aspect also means that you can do something illegal that will cause undue interference from radiation effects. Technically, you should be licensed to work on these things and you need extremely specialized instruments to check them out.

Radiation effects bring up other safety concerns: leaving a shield off can produce a hazard. Also, looking into a microwave feedhorn with power engaged can cause eye damage. The RF radiation here is invisible, but if you feel the 'infrared' heating effect, it is too late. The repair bill is preferable to eye surgery.

Ordinarily, Gregor's advice of 'throw it away and get another one' is best here; but you have built-in. You are stuck with the particular mechanics of your installation and lack flexibility. that limits your options and could make this expensive.

So, there are three choices here:

Call the Factory Service guy. This is the best in the long run.

Abandon the 'built-in' and get a 'general purpose' (undedicated) unit and use it elsewhere. They are cheap enough to consider this, especially for a temporary fix.

If your unit is 'no longer supported', get together with a good cabinet maker and pick out a current model. Have the cabinet maker do what he has to do to install your new selection. He should be able to do this without having to gut the unit. Avoid removing the exterior metal covers, even if you bury this thing in wood: THE RF RADIATION FROM THE INTERIOR WILL GO RIGHT THROUGH WOOD WITH NO ATTENUATION.

If you have to go this route, pick a major brand and tell them what you are up to; the idea here is to get something that will be supported as long as possible. The dealers may even have a model made specifically for this service.

And that last paragraph is your best bet: start with the dealers and tell them exactly your problem.

PS: "Magatron" is Magnetron. And yes, that is the most likely source of trouble, if there is significant age here; but Power Supply components could be gone as well.

PS2:

"It's the same reason you no longer see TV repair business, VCR repair, lawn mower repair. etc. etc. The labor and parts necessary for the repairs are often times equal to or greater

than the cost of a replacement unit. "

This is known in the industry as "Beyond Economical Repair"; BER for short.

• solo
    solo

mustang is talking nonsense, your microwave is clearly demonised, the best thing you can do is tear it out and burn the thing

use your stove and have a stir fry, it will be so much better for you

• mustang
    mustang

ROFLMAO @ Solo !!!!

You got me, So-Low :)

When I went to the school (that I got 'shepherding calls' for attending) on Electronics, they took me aside and informed me that all I would be taught was subterfuge to fool onlookers. I was given a Grimoire and taught some basic incantations for starters; these were to hold me until I got the 'deeper knowledge' on my own.

Yes, we spent great amounts of time learning the jargon & cover stories to disguise what you have uncovered!!!

I agree with your diagnosis and recommended treatment: you'll discover just how demonized the thing is when you see how much of it doesn't burn. You might want to use an acetylene torch.

Better yet, take it straight to you nearest BOE/eLDER's; they can DF it for you. They don’t let them do exorcisms.

Mustang

• solo
    solo

you make me laugh musty twang!

blind them with science, no one knows any difference so why should they question?

i was thinking a bl**dy great bonfire would do the trick, dowse the thing in petrol beforehand just to be sure

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

I would say your first problem is that you have a GE product. Your cheapest option is to buy a new microwave. Even though it's built into your cabinets, you should still be able to slide it out of the cabinet space. Have you tried that? If you can't, you might have to pry loose whatever trim is holding it in place. Can you post a picture of the microwave and surrounding cabinetry?

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Jeep - sorry for the late reply, I stopped paying attention to this thread after I realized I have to replace the thing. I was able to slide it out of the cabinets. I am now in the process of trying to figure out which microwave will be best suited for the space and for me.

• jgnat
    jgnat
    mustang is talking nonsense, your microwave is clearly demonised, the best thing you can do is tear it out and burn the thing use your stove and have a stir fry, it will be so much better for you

Solo, that was priceless! Thanks for the laugh.

• KennyC
    KennyC

Supplies:

75 yard roll Aluminum Foil

1/2 Gallon Hydrochloric Acid ( AutoBattery Fluid will suffice)

3 Balloons

Instructions:

Step 1) Fill balloons with battery acid and place in microwave.

Step2) Loosely create a large aluminum ball with foil and place in microwave.

Step 3)Put Unit on "High" position and close door tightly.

Step4) Push "Start" button.

If a large acid explosion does not destroy kitchen and all life forms in the house, then you should either replace the Magnatron or buy a new Microwave.

Step 4) Repeat steps 1 and 2 *

*Side Note: Do not repeat steps 3 and 4 after remedying the Magnatronic malfunction or replacement of unit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit