Publishers

by moomanchu 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Publisher definition :

1. a person or company whose business is the publishing of books, periodicals, engravings, computer software, etc.
    2. the business head of a newspaper organization or publishing house, commonly the owner or the representative of the owner.
    3.One that is engaged in publishing printed material.
    4. a person engaged in publishing periodicals or books or music.

Never even thought of how stupid this title is until recently.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

I took me a moment. But you are right. that is pretty funny! Actually, very funny.

• badboy
    badboy

I AGREE!

PERHAPS SOMEONE SHOULD ASK ` SO YOU PERSONALLY PRODUCE THIS MAGAZINE'

DO YOU RECYCLE THE PUBLICATION?

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I never thought of it that way in all my years as a publisher.

Really, we weren't publishers at all, unless the wts wrote their own dictionary, (which they could have done - after all, they wrote their own bible)

We were just peddlers, selling literature on behalf of the publishers, the wts.

• crankytoe
    crankytoe

Elder response to this thread:

That's just the worldly definition of the word Publisher.

By reading the Watchtower, we can see that a true publisher would shun this apostate thinking.

And yes brother, I am touching myself. Hey do you still have those ultrasound pictures laying around?

• moomanchu
    moomanchu
    Hey do you still have those ultrasound pictures laying around?

vat is dis??

Crankytoe,

I hope that's not a self portrait, but if it is you should be the poster boy

for apostates.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I suppose they could call themselves "Distributors" but Avon already has that one sewn up.

W.Once

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    I never thought of it that way in all my years as a publisher.

I DID!

I heard this word used and asked way back when I was studying---HOW did they arrive at such a strange term? The answer was that a "publisher" was one who goes about announcing something important, like news, or something. It never occurred to my pea-brain to look in a dictionary, but to trust completely in the WTS explanation.

• juni
    juni
    The answer was that a "publisher" was one who goes about announcing something important, like news, or something. It never occurred to my pea-brain to look in a dictionary, but to trust completely in the WTS explanation

lol pea-brain Annie!! We were all that way at some point in trusting what the org. said. Don't feel bad.

Now we know and examine things more thoroughly in our lives.

Hugs Annie,

Juni

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Like many such strange terms the Witnesses derive their distinctive use of this word from their Bible version:

Acts 15:36 Now after some days Paul said to Bar´na·bas: “Above all things, let us return and visit the brothers in every one of the cities in which we published the word of Jehovah to see how they are.”

And notice how Paul asserts that he is publishing the good news of the true God, rather than being "a publisher of foreign deities":

Acts 15:18-23 But certain ones of both the Ep·i·cu·re´an and the Sto´ic philosophers took to conversing with him controversially, and some would say: “What is it this chatterer would like to tell?” Others: “He seems to be a publisher of foreign deities.” This was because he was declaring the good news of Jesus and the resurrection. 19 So they laid hold of him and led him to the Ar·e·op´a·gus, saying: “Can we get to know what this new teaching is which is spoken by you? 20 For you are introducing some things that are strange to our ears. Therefore we desire to get to know what these things purport to be.” 21 In fact, all Athenians and the foreigners sojourning there would spend their leisure time at nothing but telling something or listening to something new. 22 Paul now stood in the midst of the Ar·e·op´a·gus and said:

“Men of Athens, I behold that in all things YOU seem to be more given to the fear of the deities than others are. 23 For instance, while passing along and carefully observing YOUR objects of veneration I also found an altar on which had been inscribed ‘To an Unknown God.’ Therefore what YOU are unknowingly giving godly devotion to, this I am publishing to YOU.

It would be interesting to investigate whether their use of the term "publisher" predated the New world Translation, and whether any other versions use this terminology of "publishing" the good news in Acts.

Slim

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit