What kind of personality does the organization attract?

by The wanderer 18 Replies latest jw friends

• The wanderer
    The wanderer
    Personality Types

What kind of personality does the organization attract? Would you say
    nice, gullible, under educated, naive? If there is a prototype regarding
    the type of individual the "truth" attracts, what is it?

Under Educated Masses

From my own point of view, the organization seems to attract "lesser"
    ones. In short, individuals who may have suffered misfortunes or who
    are ignorant and under educated.

Your Viewpoint

What would you say? Is there a stereotypical Jehovah's Witnesses person-
    ality? If so, give us a description of the kind of person that would be
    attracted to the "truth."

Respectfully,

The Wanderer
  • misspeaches
    misspeaches

I find that it attracts people with dependency and approval issues.

They can be extremely intelligent people but need someone to tell them what they can or can not do.

Or they are the type that are constantly seeking approval. They need someone to say good job, well done, keep it up. True - there is a lot of feedback in the org quite opposite to this however when it does happen it seems to make them forget all the bad.

My two cents

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, intelligent people are attracted to cults. Take Scientology for example or the Moonies and the WTS. Don't make the mistake of thinking that because someone does not have a university education that they lack the intelligence to spot a scam or that if they have a university education they are less likely to fall for a scam.

I find that cults tend to target people that have lost someone to death, had a family member with a serious illness, had a serious illness themselves, lost a job, gone through marriage problems even divorce, had family problems, people who are stressed or lonely, people going through changes like leaving school, people with low self-esteem, actually just about anyone at one point or another falls into one of these categories.

Cults actually target college students aggressively. I believe Steve Hassan (cult expert) was recruited when he was a college student.

Blondie

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass
    Under Educated Masses

From my own point of view, the organization seems to attract "lesser"

ones. In short, individuals who may have suffered misfortunes or who

are ignorant and under educated.

That would describe my mother, who raised me as a witness.

• uninformed
    uninformed

I find that it attracts people with dependency and approval issues.

They can be extremely intelligent people but need someone to tell them what they can or can not do.

Or they are the type that are constantly seeking approval. They need someone to say good job, well done, keep it up. True - there is a lot of feedback in the org quite opposite to this however when it does happen it seems to make them forget all the bad.

My two cents

Miss Peaches wrote the above:

I think you hit it square with that comment. My own life supports that. Always needed the 'pat on the back'!

A friend of mine too used to say that the WT attracted people that saw an opportunity to dominate others or 'be in charge', as many of them never were able to have that kind of station in life any other way.

Brant

• loli
    loli

From what I have seen personally, there are several personality types that are attracted. For one, there is the person who is desparately seeking outward approval. Next, there is the vulnerable person (isloated college student, someone who recently lost a loved one, etc.), there is also the type who won't make a success in the business/financial world that feels better about "keeping their eye simple", then there are the authority types who love the power trip of having a title and special treatment. Not only are the above mentioned people initially attracted to WTS, but sadly, many in the area that I am from are also highly medicated in order to stay associated.

• Sobeit
    Sobeit

When I was a child 70 years ago, there was an upper middle-class associated that really were not as active as the average witness is today, but they were more tolerant and kind. Then during the Depression, many of the working class joined. Heard some speak of their experiences in the Catholic Church as a reason. Many of the European born disliked what they saw in religion in the "old country" and now in America.

But today, I agree 100% with the thoughtful comments that have come from expereince and observation. But the second and third generation of J.W.'s have been so indoctrinated that their peripheral vision is nonexistent.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Have you ever heard anyone say....after going to the same doors year after year and the householder really shows no interest......

That their circumstances might change and they will hear the truth?

Sadly ......the circumstance is something bad that happened in a persons life. Vulnerable, confused, lonely, sick.....

I was told people with the right heart condition will be receptive to the truth.......I think it means when it has been broken, abandoned, or grieves is what they really should say.

purps

I

• JH
    JH

Followers who need a simple answer to life's complicated situations.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I agree that there are several types.

The JW's stance against big religion/nationalism is also highly attractive to people from unstable regions. I note most of the KH growth around here is from refugees recently arrived.

If I were to pick a personality type, I'd say the ESFJ fits in best, but I suspect just as many introverts are attracted to the society. The introverts just struggle more.

E=Extrovert as opposed to Introvert
    S=Senser as opposed to Intuitive
    F=Feeler as opposed to Thinker
    J=Judger as opposed to Perceiver

http://www.careerfulfillment.com/profiles/14_esfj_profile.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit