a shout out to the New World Translation

by streets76 19 Replies latest jw friends

• streets76
    streets76

I’m taking a New Testament class at a local four-year college. The textbook is The New Testament: A Student’s Introduction, by Stephen L. Harris.

Here’s a quote from a section that discusses various modern English and American translations:

“Some translations favored by many students need to be used with caution…Some doctrinally oriented versions, such as the New World Translation published by the Watchtower Society (Jehovah’s Witnesses), consistently tend to render controversial passages in a way that supports their distinctive beliefs.”

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    “Some translations favored by many students need to be used with caution…Some doctrinally oriented versions, such as the New World Translation published by the Watchtower Society (Jehovah’s Witnesses), consistently tend to render controversial passages in a way that supports their distinctive beliefs.”

Weren't we taught that this was called a 'version' and the reason why NWT was superior to KJV? Ours was supposed to have been recognized as a direct translation withOUT bias an impartiality to established belief - unlike the others.

-Aude.

• heathen
    heathen

And the WTBTS will refute that by saying they only restored the bible and that everybody else was tampering with it . I think everybody wants it to read the way they want it to.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    consistently tend to render controversial passages in a way that supports their distinctive beliefs.”

OooH I LOVE that!

It sure says it all......

• Atlantis
  • esw1966
    esw1966

I just looked for a new Bible.

I was trying to figure out which one to get. In my search I could find NOTHING good about the new world translation. I found that VERY interesting and I was actually 'surprised' to find that out.

I have a New American Standard Life Application Study Bible and I LOVE IT!

Have you guys read the Message Bible?!!! That is a lot of fun to read! It ALWAYS cracks me up!

I have the NASB, Message, NIV, and the KJV. Still have my nwt to see how they screwed it up and how to combat the old jw teaching.

• nsrn
    nsrn

I have a parallel Bible that has KJV, NIV, Living, and American Standard lined up evenly. I like the Message, too. I think I like NIV best.

• vitty
    vitty

What does NIV stand for ?

• Arthur
    Arthur
    render controversial passages in a way that supports their distinctive beliefs.”

This is pretty funny. When they use the wording "distinctive" beliefs; it is a nice, subtle, politically correct way of saying: "their bullsh*t beliefs".

• Ironhead
    Ironhead

*****What does NIV stand for ?*****

New International Version.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit