If these are the Last Days why didnt Jesus mention Global Warming?

by jwfacts 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

In a recent poll students rated Global Warming as their number one concern for the future. I guess terrorism comes in also at the top of the list. Neither of these are included as signs of the Last Days. We have gone well past the concerns of the first century.

Why didn't Jesus mention the destruction of the climate as a sign of the end?

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

maybe, someting about, "those destroying the earth will be destoyed?..

can't remember if jesus said that though.....

• JH
    JH

Maybe humanity went too far and went way past Jesus's predictions. In other words, God could be late with his kingdom.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Why didn't Jesus mention the destruction of the climate as a sign of the end?

Didn't you know that the right-wing punditocracy has declared that GW is a myth? So of course Jesus didn't mention it.

• moshe
    moshe

Jesus also didn't see Radio, TV, satellites and the Internet otherwise he would have known that "Rumors of Wars" would end with these inventions. Today governments can learn of a war within hours and verify it.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Not to hijack the thread, but I don't believe in it either.

But I'd like to point out that these "signs" of JEsus presence that are so often quoted come from a passage in Matthew and Luke - and in that same passage Jesus specifically says that his followers are NOT to be alarmed by things like earthquakes, wars, etc. because these things have always happened and always will happen - and are just a beginning compared with the trauma of the Last Days. He also says that people who follow these prophets of doom and gloom are being tricked.

CZAR

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Well maybe he figured no-one would understand it so best not mention it.

But that hardly explains Revelations does it?

But then again he did mention "bringing to ruin those ruining the earth", and that was probably thought of as an impossibility back then, that people could actually ruin the earth.

Im not an apologist, but im sure there are ways of explaining it if you are motivated to.

• Gill
    Gill

All the pollution that the human race makes in one year only equates to the amount of pullution created by one volcano going off.

There are other causes of global warming, not just pollution. Of those we have NO control at all.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

how about "the elements will be intensly hot bla bla bla"

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

But then again he did mention "bringing to ruin those ruining the earth", and that was probably thought of as an impossibility back then, that people could actually ruin the earth.

We assume that "ruin" refers to pollution and environmental devestation. People have made that association ever since these have become plausable in the 20th century. However, from my humble examination, "ruin" in the Bible never (that I'm aware of) refers to environmental devestation. The "ruin" I've seen in the Bible typically refers to war and its after affects. Since this has happened throught history and all over the 'Earth' the scripture probably was intended to mean that God will "bring to ruin (attack) those who are ruining (attacking and destroying in all parts thereof) the Earth".

The Bible is silent about environmental matters. If God were outraged at environmental irresponsibility he fails to teach this in the Bible. This scripture, if intended to address this future development, would be a single, isolated instance of his dissatisfaction over it. In other words it just doesn't make sense that God would reveal, in Revelation of all places, his standards for environmental stewardship. So with that in mind I think the 'ruin' John writes of is the ruin cited elsewhere i.e. Earthwide instances of destruction typically brought on by marauders.

-FW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit