If you had one day to spend in London...

by Kaethra 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Kaethra
    Kaethra

...and not a whole lot of moolah to spend, what would you do? My SO is leaving tonight to fly to merry ole England for business. He has free time tomorrow and part of the day Monday to spend in London. He's never been there before so I'm looking for fun (and not too expensive!) ideas for him. I've been before so I've told him about the usual touristy things...Tower of London, Madame Toussaud's (sp?) and so forth. Anyone from there with ideas? (or not from there! I'll take ideas from whomever!)

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Take a 'Pub' tour on the river and try all the various brands. The top it off with a good old 'Fish & Chips' lunch. Then get on one of those boxes in Hyde Park and give a speech about Jehovah's Witnesses!

Outaservice (Too Much Beer )

• Dansk
    Dansk
    ideas for him

Get on the first train to Manchester!

(Ha! Beat South African Beef!! )

Ian

• south african beef
    south african beef

Yeah, get on the train to Manchester if you like rain, poverty, old industrial, grimy, dansk (oh I mean 'dank') buildings and where they definitely don't speak the Queen's English - you wont be able to understand a word.

Oh they do have theatres - showing boring old stuff that has left London years ago!

Oh they do have houses - if you have more than one note in your pocket you could probably buy two! (Terraced houses with no front garden and an outside loo are a speciality)

Don't be put off by all the flat caps and every one taking a whippet for a walk.

Stay in London of course - one of the greatest CAPITAL cities in the whole world!

If time is short then one thing is a must - a trip on the London Eye. It's on the South Bank opposite the Houses of Parliament (that's where the whole country is ruled from). The views are spectacular, stretching from Canary Wharf in the east, up the Thames to the west, and all the glittering West End to the North.

I could go on for ever but I'll let others leave some more suggestions.

That doesn't include one biased northerner who doesn't know what he's on about - you know who you are!

• Dansk
    Dansk

Oi Beef,

And what city will you be in on 21 October!?

Ian

• south african beef
    south african beef

Actually I've heard that Manchester is a wonderful place - why do you think I've decided to spend the day after my birthday there?

Not my actual birth DAY - that I will be spending in London - enough said?!

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hey Beefy, LOL, I think we just hijacked another thread!

BTW, as it's your birthday virtually the weekend of the Aposta Curry you ARE aware of the custom of buying everyone a drink, I hope!

Ian

• south african beef
    south african beef

Typical stingy northerners - I will buy you all a drink ON my birthday, but the next day bad luck!

• Kaethra
    Kaethra

Thanks guys. Any other tips??? What about places to eat? I've had the fish and chips in England. It's good, but then I do come from a place with the best, freshest and yummiest fish in the world, so I wasn't hugely impressed, frankly! Where else is a good place to go for eats in London?? Come on...you must have some good food recommendations over there!

• mouthy
    mouthy

Cor blimey mate!!!!you cant go ome till you had a basin full of EEls & Pies. & parsly sauce....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit