Did you,or anyone in your Hall come to Meeting Drunk?Anything funny happen?

by mama1119 12 Replies latest jw friends

• mama1119
    mama1119

We used to have this guy that came to BookStudy drunk and he would mumble all through it, and fall asleep and wake up yelling an answer. I never went to meeting drunk, but I certainly drank a few to get me through sometimes, took the edge off the continual damnation spewing from the stage. Another "sister" used put Kahlua in her coffee cup in service. Anyone else???

• south african beef
    south african beef

Yes indeed.

One of our circuit overseers wife quite often missed the meetings, no one knew why, we just presumed she wasn't very well.

One day I had to pick the circuit overseer himself up to drive him to the circuit assembly at Bowes Road, North London. He was not ready when I got there to pick him up, he couldn't find his keys and was acting in a strange manner.

Shortly after I left the org, I found out that he had to step down from his 'privilages' as both he and his wife were alcoholics!

• vitty
    vitty

One of the most colourful characters in our hall, always absolutely, stunk of booze on Saturday mornings. I hated working with him but looking back he was a great person, that our elders embraced thankgod. Although he was taken off being a servant, he was NOT an example but at least he was human.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

One of the elders in our kh is a heavy drinker, and he used to turn up sometimes on a Sunday morning obviously the worse for wear. He dozed off a few times during meetings, and had to be shaken awake by his wife.

• alienagent
    alienagent

Well, I never came to the Hall intoxicated on alcohol, however, I took a nice dose of pain killers before going a few times. I sat there during the public talk/WT drifting into pleasant, euphoric dreams. While the conductor rattled on about "dress and grooming" (WT buzz phrase) I was walking through a beautiful garden and having tea with a beautiful Russian blond. lol ... yeah, those were the days.

alienagent

• Mulan
    Mulan

Yes! We had a man in our congregation that was a former CO, in his 40's. Obviously he had major problems, but had a very zealous wife, a lovely woman.

He was often over refreshed at the KH, (I didn't know that) and usually sat at the back, behind the literature counter, in a folding chair. One time, he was leaning back in the chair, and fell asleep and the chair crashed over backwards. My hubby told me later what had happened and that he was quite drunk.

A few months later he and his wife divorced and she later remarried. He is dead now and she is still happily married to a really nice guy, elder of course.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Yep, I've been a little drunk, from the night before, bad hangover and threw up on the bathroom floor.

I also would go stoned. Very funny, but don't answer-up. You can never tell how long you've been talking for, or if you are 'still on subject'.

steve

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

The hall I was in had a small apt in the basement. An elder from another cong, his wife and his daughter were living there.

On e time during a meeting there was a knock on the back door and the elder's wife answered it. A man delivering a case of beer. From where I was sitting I could see the whole thing as could anyone else sitting on that side of the hall

• FairMind
    FairMind
    He dozed off a few times during meetings, and had to be shaken awake by his wife

That happens to me all the time and I'm a tee totaler.

• blondie
    blondie

I have known people to come to the meetings with alcohol on their breath. I did not notice that they were visibly impaired though. I brought a bible student to the meeting once and she pointed out 5 people she knew were on marijuana. I was in one congregation where a brother and sister were dealing drugs out of the restrooms...............

Too many elders are protected by the BOE from their addiction, and protected by their families. I do believe that it is one of the more serious issues facing JWs today, alcohol addiction of its members and sweeping it under the rug.

Have to keep the corporate organization image clean and bright.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit