OLD AGE - SOMETHING JWs BETTER GET USED TO!

by Dansk 18 Replies latest social humour

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Define "Millions"

Define "Now"

Define "Living"

Define "Will"

Define "Never"

Define "Die"

Thanks, Gary. I never realized how ambiguous it all really was. Shame on us for reading more into it than was there. Our selfish desire to live forever - where the heck did that come from?

• xjwms
    xjwms

With age comes pain

I ' m sick of getting old.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hi Xjwms:

With age comes pain

I ' m sick of getting old.

First of all, I hardly think 55 is old! Are you in pain at this moment? Your message conveys pain.

For what it's worth, in spite of all the maladies I ran through some months back - which seemed never ending at the time - I am free of physical pain, but I still get mental pain. I don't know if it's a mid-life crisis, but I keep thinking back to my younger days and how I'd do things differently. Trouble is, by dwelling on such things I'm robbing myself of the joys I could be having now. After all, I can't change anything in the past. I'll be openly frank, there are times I've posted here when I've been feeling down or fed up - but without letting on. I know others have undoubtedly done the same; probably far more than we realise. I remember one chap used to post here regularly - without letting on that he was dying! The first time I knew was when his daughter, I believe, informed the forum of his death and of how long he had battled. In other words, we all have our hidden secrets - which includes our blackest days. My best days are behind me, I know - and I feel robbed by Watchtower of the years in which I could have done better things. But I am also mindful of the fact that had I changed just one thing it would undoubtedly have had ramifications for other things, including people. Example, all but one of my children were conceived and born while I was a JW. Had I not been a JW I would likely have been doing other things than making my children. Who knows? The fact is, I love all my children so wouldn't change anything if it meant losing just one of them. Then again, being pragmatic, one could say that what one doesn't know one doesn't miss. But I do know! Life! Full of complexities. A journey of which we often seem to have no control over. I'm truly sorry if you are hurting. If you are, sometimes it's good to express yourself in writing. You can do it here openly or you can pm me, in the utmost confidence. I sincerely wish you many brighter days ahead - as I do everyone here. Ian

• garybuss
    garybuss

Some of Jehovah's people in times past presumptuously thought they would never die. As the light got brighter and new understandings flashed up, those sincere Christians revised their thinking to a more moderate understanding. Weren't those Christians guilty of "greediness" for life? How glad modern Christians are they do not fall into the snare of "useless speculation".

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Thanks, Ian. That was very funny.

• Dansk
    Dansk

An elderly couple are having problems remembering things.

During a checkup, the doctor tells them that they're physically okay, but they might want to start writing things down to help them remember.

Later that night, while watching TV, the old man gets up from his chair. 'Want anything while I'm in the kitchen?' he asks. 'Will you get me a bowl of ice cream?'

'Sure.'

'Don't you think you should write it down so you can remember it?' she asks.

'No, I can remember it.'

'Well, I'd like some strawberries on top, too. Maybe you should write it down, so's not to forget it?'

He says, 'I can remember that. You want a bowl of ice cream with strawberries?'

'I'd also like whipped cream. I'm certain you'll forget that, write it down?' she asks.

Irritated, he says, 'I don't need to write it down, I can remember it! Ice cream with strawberries and whipped cream - I got it, for goodness sake!' Then he toddles into the kitchen.

After about 20 minutes, the old man returns from the kitchen and hands his wife a plate of bacon and eggs.

She stares at the plate for a moment. 'Where's my toast?' Ian

• brutusmaximus
    brutusmaximus

I was walking through the park and saw an old man sitting on a bench looking rather glum. I said whats the matter there old fella? He said I have a lovely young wife at home, she has a great figure, she is a great cook and our sex life well if you were older I would tell you about it. I said so why the long face old timer? He said I'm sad because I can't remember where I live!! Boom, boom

It goes on for ages but I cut it down a bit

BM

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

At 50 your best years are ahead of you. You're old enough to know better, but get excused as eccentric if you dont

Some have the fortune of entering the "sea of forgetfullness" earlier than others. After all, if you can't remember why you wanted to remember something, it's all good!

• greendawn
    greendawn

In deep old age that's the lot of man though I know a few people over the age of 85 that are doing reasonably well, they had some operations but are not in chronic pain or discomfort and their mental capacities are at 100%.

As for the dubs they never really know whether obeying the FDS will get them a right of passage through a possible end of the world, they don't know where the GB is leading them to, perhaps to a place of punishment instead of paradise. alt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit