WT says Don't look or hear news

by Patriot 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Patriot
    Patriot

I just got this from a witness who I bumped into yesterday. She is very disturbed by this announcement the congo. got on Friday at their service meeting:

"As Jehovah's people who don't get mixed up in Satan's political issues we see it best that we do not watch the news or listen to it on the radio because that is what Satan want's. He wants us to get mixed up in this and start to "side" with one of the parties involved".

This is as best she could remember the announcment. I believe that the WT is taking advantage of this tragedy and coming out with this "reasoning" to deter people from watching the news and therefore missing the Dateline special.

Has anyone else heard this at their local area hall/witnesses?

BTW, I have been rotated out of "Ground Zero" and since there are thousands of volunteers the coordinators are giving every squad a 1 day a week assignment, so I won't have to go back until Thursday.

Mav-

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

That's just some local nut case sounding off.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Hi Patriot, I know this is some much needed rest for you. After all you've done in the last few days. Just hope you can actually sleep. You deserve it.

Porkchop, sorry, but this is true. My JW niece called me from South Carolina and told me the same thing. Totally different states, but the same message. Maybe they're afraid some JWS might get an attack of conscience while watching. And actually want to help.

April

"Love never dies." Voivodul Vlad Draculea (from Bram Stoker's Dracula-1992)

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

I've been getting emails from persons I am reasonably sure are JW and they are all saying the same thing.

I am beginning to think that there is a hope..a slim one, but still a hope...that the WT post-disaster stance is going to backfire on them.

WT needs no help from apostates...they hurt themselves all by themselves.

dungbeetle...cleaning up the crap.

• Oldhippie
    Oldhippie

Nope...no announcement like that at our meeting.

• Seeker
    Seeker

Since it has been reported that Bethelites were told not to watch so much news, perhaps some elders in congregations have taken their cue from that, while other elders haven't heard about it yet.

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

dungbeetle - I couldn't agree with you more...

WT needs no help from apostates...they hurt themselves all by themselves.

.. putting down the blinds and telling the workers to carry on with their work...

.. don't watch the news, it's what Satan wants..

Just because they choose to block it out won't make the pain and suffering go away - their reaction (or the reaction of the majority)to this whole tragedy just makes me even more sure that they are not representatives of God or Jesus. Where is their compassion? Where is their empathy? Where are their Christ-like qualities? Did Jesus ever lock a door to someone facing adversity? No, he welcomed strangers with open arms and fed them, both nutritionally and spiritually. He never turned away anyone in need and yet it appears from all reports that this is just what Bethel did - locked their doors to keep the strangers away. They have a fear of man - they feared for their own safety - what happened to having a reliance on God?

I know that there are still kind and good hearted witnesses out there, although I feel that they are misguided by remaining in a loveless organisation. The attitude of the others leaves a lot to be desired and I can only imagine what God thinks of them...

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

and a PS to Patriot...

I cannot express my gratitude fully for all the work that you have been doing - I am filled with pride and admiration for you and all your fellow workers in the very difficult work that you have to do - I feel such a physical pain in my heart when I look at all the pictures on my television screen and I can only imagine the horror of the situation in which you find yourself working.

You have my deepest respect. Take care.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Partiot,

The org also says don't watch "R" rated movies and videos as well since this is part of the corrupt world of Satan. Huge numbers of JWs ignore that directive. I can't imagine many JWs heeding the call not to watch the news...its on all TV channels and since everyone is talking about the events I doubt many could stand not to watch.

I echo Individual's wife's sentiments and gratitude. You have my support and admiration.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• Winston
    Winston

Patriot,

You are an inspiration to me. I've only been out of the Organization for a short while and you help me see the need to be more self-sacrificing.
    Thanks.

How long have you LIVED and how long has God LIVED?
    1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 to .000000000000000000000000000000001
    Who is like God?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit