Insurance news letter from January 2004 re:hiring JW's

by schne_belly 32 Replies latest watchtower medical

• jgnat
    jgnat

The article is very well done; the reporter did some legwork that is for sure. Notice how the WT representatives talk out of both sides of their mouth.

says there is no policy forcing members to report sinful acts or divulge private information

The key word here is forcing. But no. It's just a strong suggestion, with a concluding sentence advising the JW that it is up to their individual conscience.

A 1987 article in the church's Watchtower magazine, which the church says is its most recent on the subject

Did he mention that every dedicated JW has a copy of this article on their handy CD? How many other churches have written ANY article about disclosing confidential information? By writing about it at all, the society indeed does control the "conscience" of every member of the society.

"We cannot ignore Caesar's law or the seriousness of an oath, but Jehovah's law is supreme,'' it reads.

And there is the clincher. Reporting to the elders overrides HIPAA.

Adam G. Linett, associate general counsel with the Jehovah's Witnesses, said employers shouldn't fear HIPAA penalties for unauthorized disclosures because sanctions in the act are aimed at employees.

But, obviously, if the employers are found to be negligent in their hiring practice...

Also, would a regular JW understand the implications of this statement? If an individual JW reports confidential information to an elder, they will be fined. And the society will let them carry the full load of the penalty. After all, they followed their own "conscience".

And, Mr. Linett said, he "can't think of a single case where this has happened and resulted in a lawsuit

He didn't look either, did he?

• Anitar
    Anitar

This guy is lying right through his teeth:

"The Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, the body that directs church affairs, says there is no policy forcing members to report sinful acts or divulge private information. That choice is up to members, according to Phillip Brumley, general counsel for the Brooklyn, N.Y.-based group.

"They should study the scriptures, and what they do is up to them,'' said Mr. Brumley. If there is a conflict, he said, a member should "think that through and decide what to do.''

What a typical Watchtower lapdog, using "theocratic warfare" at its best. I wonder if the people reading this article realize that if JW's lie on something as important as a medical confidentality agreement, then certainly they will lie to a reporter.

Anitar

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Minister Amos, there is a growing problem now with friends not wanting to reveal sinful acts to the elds because of privacy concerns as you have described. Some friends are oblivious to all and don't worry, but there are others that realize that if confidential information fell into the wrong hands, it would cause them injury. Another problem is that, (of course if you do not get into trouble you do not have a problem) friends do not want information on religious matters that they have volunteered and or church proceedings involving sins, recorded. There is a legitimate defense for not going to the eld but it won't keep you from being df. But it is a valid defense: "BRS, I have heard that many xelders and elds,and btlts and COs are on the internet going public with sensitive material, even wrtiing books. I also know that if I seek your help it will become part of my written record, That information can possible fall into the wrong hands as other material that is said to be available on the internet evidently has. If that was to happen with my privacy, I would be harmed. Sure, I could sue, but that cannot undue the harm that I would suffer. Perhaps you are able to personally guarantee that anything that we discuss on this matter will not fall into the wrong hands. I am seeking a 30 million dollar bond from every individual involved in this matter or any entity or individual having access to the information, If you are able to do that, I will cooperate."

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

While such privacy breaches by Jehovah's Witnesses are not frequent, "it does happen,'' according to Gerald Bergman, a former member of the society who has written extensively on the church's practices. He teaches biology and chemistry at Northwest State Community College in Archbold, Ohio. =================== Although we have no idea what Bergman specifically stated in his interview, this reporter came away with the impression that: "While such privacy breaches by Jehovah's Witnesses are not frequent, ...". How does Bergman KNOW that "... privacy breaches by Jehovah's Witnesses are not frequent"? What verifiable "scientific" evidence did social scientist Bergman have to arrive at such a conclusion? The very nature of "privacy breaches" yields an inability to quantify such. Many JW Elders may be stupid, but they don't go around divulging their sources and ratting out their rats. >>>Shelly thinks: Many who have been at Bethel or served on judicial committees or served as a overseer of some sort WOULD have access to such information having been a part of the ORGANIZATION, not having anything to do with science teaching at the community college in Ohio.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208
    "We cannot ignore Caesar's law or the seriousness of an oath, but Jehovah's law is supreme,''

That statement makes me just about vomit! These people should be denied any job other than washing toilets and windows... Disgusting!

• wednesday
    wednesday

in this area many jws work at the hospitals in many different positions. just b/c a jws is not a nurse or doctor etc, does not mean you are safe. there are so many positions in the hospitals that would allow a person access to patient records. any nurse /nurse aide/ unit secetary/ x-ray tech/ meal deliver/ Pt./ etc working on a unit will probably know what is going on with patients other than her own by means of the simple shift change report. we are also "blessed" with the bloodless programin our area. so personally, i am heading out of this area for any futher medical care.

• Zanniesmom
    Zanniesmom

I work as an RN in a hospital with a "bloodless" program. The three employees who are the administrators of the program are all JW's. So far we have not had a patient brave enough to buck the system, but I am sure it would instantly be reported. Elders who are not employees visit the patients daily and go to the chart to document their "pastoral" care. So if there is a bloodless program near you, be sure you think through thoroughly your choices, because if you are an active JW, you will have no privacy in this matter.

• LDH
    LDH
    I work as an RN in a hospital with a "bloodless" program. The three employees who are the administrators of the program are all JW's. So far we have not had a patient brave enough to buck the system, but I am sure it would instantly be reported. Elders who are not employees visit the patients daily and go to the chart to document their "pastoral" care. So if there is a bloodless program near you, be sure you think through thoroughly your choices, because if you are an active JW, you will have no privacy in this matter.

It would be a kindness to reprint this article and mail it to EACH of the hospital administrators. In addition, if it's a hospital with a Community board of Directors, each of them need to see it.

With a copy of the Doctrinal flip-flops on blood.

Sheesh.

• rawdata
    rawdata
    >>>Shelly thinks: Many who have been at Bethel or served on judicial committees or served as a overseer of some sort WOULD have access to such information having been a part of the ORGANIZATION,

Nope, sorry Shelly, it doesn't get around. After 28 years in the org. and serving in all three positions you list, this type of info is not shared in any form. In fact, my father was on a HLC since thier inception until about 4 years ago. I once asked him about this very thing and he said this is a subject (one of many) that they don't talk about unless you are directly involved. This type of information is, ironically, kept confidential. Also, this is one of those topics that the information is compartmentalized (with extreme prejudice) and even not all of the GB would be familiar.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Rawdata:

I do not know what you mean in your post but I know this. Any JC written record in kept in the a little room in the back in a SEaled (funny) envelope. Free for the looking to anyone tht has the key Sometimes, els do gossip to their wives and talk about certain things to other elds. An angry eld that leaves the wt knows alot of personal stuff about a lot of people. If a br leaves one h and goes to another c, a letter follows. Private information is in the wrong hands all of the time. Look how many els have left on this site alone. Look at all of the stuff that is floating around on the net. Also els that leave and or are angry can talk to others about what they know. But even els that do not leave need to tell other els to "assist bros". IT never goes away. Who wants personal stuff floating around? Who wants to feel like the repentant one for the rest of their lives having people smirking at em all of the time. Marked for life. There are benefits though, the wts will never betray you and you will always be under the l umbrella of the wts. The wts does need the info to help you in some cases,. Since the org is not perfect and not infallible admitedly people do get harmed by other imperfect people. Unless things have changed, again, anyone having access can read private info. If he comes in with a little camera he can take pics of any document he wants.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit