Insurance news letter from January 2004 re:hiring JW's

by schne_belly 32 Replies latest watchtower medical

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

I have worked in sensitive areas around child sexual abuse investigation. It is SOP to sign Confidentiality Agreements upon hire.

HOWEVER, enforcing compliance or punishing violations is probably the weakest link. Taking an admin assistant to court for blabbing confidential information? I don't see it. Best not to hire JWs or anyone who answers to what they consider a higher authority.

There is also the concept of being a Mandated Reporter, another designation that is supported by signing a document. It means that if you, as a nurse or schoolteacher, daycare provider or anyone with access to children, suspect child abuse, you are obligated to report it to authorities, regardless of the confidential nature of the information. It would seem that JWs feel that they have a "Mandated Reporter" relationship with the congos - their jobs and confidentiality are superseded by loyalty to Brooklyn dictates.

Perhaps there should be a sort of reverse pre-emptive approach - wherein the WT hands down a ruling by means of an article in the magazine - "Workplace Confidentiality - How Should You View Your Choice of Employment?"

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Scully,

purps, I have to respectfully disagree with this approach, on the grounds that the one doing so is still allowing their behaviour to be decided by what the WTS teaches, not by the ethical standards of the medical profession.

I agree with you. I was just pointing out what the Society suggest on a wrongdoing.

I for one don't think it is anyone's business but the person that is getting the treatment. Why get involved? Are you helping that person? Was the rat really concerned about the person? It's private, confidential information. For all this person knew, the woman with the STD could have been abused sexually, raped.....who knows?

If a witness truley believes Jehovah will work things out then let him do it.

purps

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I was thinking further on this.

The person that divulged the personal information knows they are breaking a HIPAA law.

I would be fired immediately if i were to do this. I could cause great harm to the company I work for.

I think that anyone that would tell something like this should lose their job. No questions asked.....religious reasons or not.

I wonder if this lover of justice confessed willingly to her employer that she did indeed tell confidential information.

purps

• Forscher
    Forscher

Happens alot!
    A JW employee working in an area where they had access to personal information got their grubby little hands on my wife's medical records and gave copies to our elders when they noticed that she'd twice had a "spontaneous abortion." That moron and the idiot elders she turned the records over to didn't know that a spontaneous abortion is a miscarraige! My wife had suffered two miscarraiges during her first marraige. Only after the elders contacted the elders from that congregation and verified from them that the incidents were indeed miscarraiges was my wife let off the hook.
    There is more, but that is all I can say. The whole affair was disgusting!
    Forscher

• Sweetp0985
    Sweetp0985

from personal experience i feel you should distribute...

i had a procedure done once that nooo oneee knew about except people in the dr's office. One of the nurses/helpers was not a JW but her mom was and I also knew the girl but at this point in time i wasn't thinking about "oh hell she knows me". But I have no doubt that she probably told her mom about me getting the procedure, and mom probably went to the elders...but i was pretty much "out" at that time anyway...when time came for JC meeting my dr's visit was never brought up among all the questions but i feel they probably knew. edited to add...i didn't try to sue either..i didn't have proof she told anything...but i had that feeling...a strong feeling...

on another note...in my line of work i have access to confidential information on people. But never have I used this info to rat out anyone. BUUUTTT recently a prostitution sting in my area netted a JW- MS. It was on the local news and the newscaster said the names of all those arrested is on our website...I looked at the names and saw that one was a person a knew...this was not secret info but was able to be accessed by anyone...I told my mom about the person and she told my uncle that is a elder....The message given to me was beware of giving info like this because of my job....My job had nothing to do with this..anyone with a computer could have looked it up...my thoughts is that one of their own had been caught trying to pick up a prostitute and like always they wanted to sweep it under the rug...i haven't heard anything else about the matter cuz if they did investigate it any it does take a few weeks..but if he denies its him..what can i do...so many people have the same name and i guess he can lie about his date of birth...but they are such FBI/CIA agents when they want to be...i bet this goes no where...

• Jringe01
    Jringe01

What is that verse....it's in the new testament I believe...where Paul says to ---live quietly and MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS.

Strange in all that how they overlook this wonderful little piece of counsel.

• vitty
    vitty

Forsher

Now that's were the real problems begin.......................they cant see how their meddling is wrong. I know about a woman who was date raped and contracted a disease.................the elders found out, not about the rape but the STD. There was only one way they could have known about the information but they still wouldnt reveal who had told them. She had a JC, and had to tell them everything about the rape, even though she hadnt wanted to tell anyone. It was touch and go whether they believed her.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

" If your brother comits a sin, go lay bear his sin between you and him alone" That is the prtocol taught by the wts. The snitch did not do that first.

But there is another problem, medical treatment for vd is not sufficient evidence to establish wrongdoing unless the medical record contained other info and the snitch revealed that confidential information. But even then, it is still not sufficient because a doctor's medical opinion is not fact, neither are lab findings, nor do they establish wrongdoing and neither is what is written on a doctor's medical record. A medical record does not establish wrondoing and neither does medical treatment. Abortion is another issue. I am surprise that no law suit followed. I would have sued fo sure, the snitch and the doctor. I do not think that a jc would be formed on the mouth of one witness unless the alleged sinner confessed if aproached. There is not enough evidence here without a confession. But there is damage to a person's reputation and privacy if someone revaled confidential information to others. The issue here is that confidential rights were violated. The remedy, a Court judgement against the snitch and against the doctor's insurance company in the millions. Is this a criminal act too? Does anyone know?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    She had a JC, and had to tell them everything about the rape, even though she hadnt wanted to tell anyone. It was touch and go whether they believed her.

As if the rape was not truamatic enough. That right there just pisses me off, this will probably leave a scar worse than the rape.

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

This is EXACTLY why I advocate inspecting the JC files in the Kingdom Halls.

Simply get the mfr code on the filing cabinets they are stored in and request a copy of the key.

Do a little private "research" in the library and walk off with a dozen or so files every chance you get. Cross off the names and send copies to every JW you know or have addresses for.

This will literally put them out of business JC wise because everyone will be too afraid to divulge personal information to the elders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit