Primetime--Ammish "shun" for 6 weeks only...

by crazyblondeb 10 Replies latest jw friends

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I'm watching Primetime on ABC. It's about the Ammish, mainly their problems with sexual abuse. The girl that is telling her story about her brother raping her says that they "confessed" in church to their elders. Their punishment is being banned from church activities for 6 (six) weeks!!! She says they few drinking alcohol as bad as rape. She left to try and break the silence.

Got to watch the rest.......

shelley

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

More crazies. Like Jeffs peeps and the fact that they cry foul and believe that they are being persecuted.

• ocsrf
    ocsrf

Shelley,

Check out this online book: www.amishabuse.com

I started reading and couldn't stop.

OC

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Crazy did you see the rest of the program. The stuff about the Family of Love (f/k/a Children of God). What is interesting is if you do a google search on the religion they do have forums like this and people group them w/ other fundies and pick their practices and beliefs apart.

I loved the part where the young chick who was a Family of Love member said "I was never molested and my friends were never molested" as if that was proof that no one else in the religion had been. Welcome to ostrich approach to bad practices w/i a religion. Very disturbing.

I wrote Dateline and asked them if they were going to do a follow up to their earlier program about sexual abuse w/i the JW faith. I never got a response, but I would love it if they did. It would rattle cages again and in light of Jeffs and this Primetime series, I think it would put heat under the feet of the WTBTS once again. I think all the constant heat the WTBTS can get for their practices as to sexual abuse (the 2 witness policy) would be a good thing.

• orbison11
    orbison11

hi shelley

yes i just watched it here on the west coast

i was so moved i emailed ms garrett, the author lady

directing here to jwd,,hopefully she will pop in here

it is all so sick:(

orbi

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I watched that last night too.

How heartwarming was that, when the guy from ABC asked the "modestly dressed and obviously very religious woman" with the small child in tow---if she knew where Jeffs could be found---and she shouted "go to hell" to him! It kinda ruined the whole "ain't I holy" picture!

And yes, the program was an eye-opener on every level.

• Mary
    Mary

The thing that amazed me about Dateline's segment on the sexual abuse in the Amish religion, is that Witnesses have absolutely no problem believing it. I spoke to my Dub sister about it. I asked her if she believed the stories about incest and pedophilia going on in the Amish faith, or whether Dateline distorted everything. She answered "sure I believe it. there's no reason not to. Why would Dateline distort it?" I then asked her why she insisted that Dateline distorted the facts when they were reporting on the pedophile problem within the WTS, or why she insisted "there's got to be more to it then that."

I never did get a clear answer.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I only saw the last half hour... but it was good.
    It's ironic though... JWs will watch this and slowly shake their heads... seeing these people as being misled and all... and yet... they cannot see it about themselves.
    Regards,
    Jim TX

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

"The thing that amazed me about Dateline's segment on the sexual abuse in the Amish religion, is that Witnesses have absolutely no problem believing it. I spoke to my Dub sister about it. I asked her if she believed the stories about incest and pedophilia going on in the Amish faith, or whether Dateline distorted everything. She answered "sure I believe it. there's no reason not to. Why would Dateline distort it?" I then asked her why she insisted that Dateline distorted the facts when they were reporting on the pedophile problem within the WTS, or why she insisted "there's got to be more to it then that."

and

"I only saw the last half hour... but it was good.

It's ironic though... JWs will watch this and slowly shake their heads... seeing these people as being misled and all... and yet... they cannot see it about themselves. "

Well, thanks for answering my questions Mary and Jim.
    Unbelievable.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

too bad, I am sorry I missed it. of course JWs believe any bad press they get is untrue because satan is behind it or something like that. throw evil forces trying to sully jehovah's name into the mix and they will never see their flawed logic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit