How would witnesses respond to this quote?

by gumby 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gumby
    gumby

© 1991
    WATCH TOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY OF PENNSYLVANIA

Publishers
    WATCHTOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY OF NEW YORK, INC.
    INTERNATIONAL BIBLE STUDENTS ASSOCIATION
    Brooklyn, New York, U.S.A.
    Prior editions in English: 1977, 1979, 1981

This is taken from the "Flock Book" ( Elders Manuel ) regarding Disfellowshipped relatives.

As we all know, the 1981 articles on disfellowshipping that which in part deals with how to treat disfellowshipped relatives, tells us that one should only have contact with a DFed relative only if it is unavoidable such as a buisness matter, or needed family contact.

The below quote seems to contradict all they have said in the past about association with a DFed relative.

What's your take on a witnesses response were you to share this with them?

Below is the quote:

The principle set forth in Jesus' words at Matthew 10:
    34-38 has a bearing on situations involving disfellow-
    shipped or disassociated relatives.

Special and difficult problems may arise in relation to
    social gatherings.

Loyal worshipers of Jehovah will want to adhere to the
    inspired counsel at I Corinthians 5:11.

Normally, a close relative would not be disfellowshipped
    for associating with a disfellowshipped person unless there
    is spiritual association or an effort made to justify or
    excuse the wrongful course.

Gumby

• minimus
    minimus

They would believe that they COULD associate with their relatives if they were df'd but they would realize they couldn't be "exemplary".

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Most are shunning because of reputation rather than belief...

• gumby
    gumby
    They would believe that they COULD associate with their relatives if they were df'd but they would realize they couldn't be "exemplary".

Minimus, this is my take on the issue also. It sounds like to me in view of all the other material they have published on this matter that they are saying.." we won't DF you if it's a close relative you associate with as long as you keep spiritual things quiet and you don't carry the banner for the DFed one, but expect to be frowned upon by all in the congregation if you do". It seems to be they should have qualified this statement of their's a bit more clearly...however the above statements just above this seems to do just that. We have an Elder in my wifes congregation whose married daughter was just disfellowshipped and she's coming to stay with her dad and mom as she and the hubby must have had marital problems resulting in her disfellowshipping I assume. She is ONLY going to their home as she has nowhere else to go....but if she did, she'd go there. You'd think him being an elder and knowing of this allowance that the quote showed that he would not even think of any other option for her besides staying with him. Gumby

• minimus
    minimus

Since the congregation's "conscience" could be affected adversely, this elder will be sending a wrong signal to the others. He should be "dealt with" for helping out his disfellowshipped daughter, who decided on her own to leave the "sweet fellowship" of her family, both physical and spiritual. The elder and his wife should be "marked" and pissed on by all the others.

• gumby
    gumby

Minimus....your becoming so mean in your later years my son...and ya may need your arse spiritually wooped cuz the dubs say close kin can come home if'n they are in a bind doncha know?

The poor elders daughter comes in the hall with her head bowed with a guilt look and hurries to her disfellowshipped seat closest to the exit door.

Gumby

• blondie
    blondie

As to DF'd adult close family members, the WTS has said this:

km 8/02 p. 4 pars. 10-11 Display Christian Loyalty When a Relative Is Disfellowshipped ***

The

Watchtower addresses another situation that can arise: "What if a close relative, such as a son or a parent who does not live in the home, is disfellowshiped and subsequently wants to move back there? The family could decide what to do depending on the situation. For example, a disfellowshiped parent may be sick or no longer able to care for himself financially or physically. The Christian children have a Scriptural and moral obligation to assist. (1 Tim. 5:8) . . . What is done may depend on factors such as the parent’s true needs, his attitude and the regard the head of the household has for the spiritual welfare of the household."—The Watchtower of September 15, 1981, pages 28-9.

As for a child, the same article continues: "Sometimes Christian parents have accepted back into the home for a time a disfellowshiped child who has become physically or emotionally ill. But in each case the parents can weigh the individual circumstances. Has a disfellowshiped son lived on his own, and is he now unable to do so? Or does he want to move back primarily because it would be an easier life? What about his morals and attitude? Will he bring ‘leaven’ into the home?—Gal. 5:9."

Blondie

• uninformed
    uninformed

Blondie,

Good quote.

The elder who saw to it that I was disfellowshipped had a son df'd a couple of months earlier. The 25 year old kid moved back into the elders home, FOR CONVENIENCE, and as far as I know he wasn't removed. All I know is that he disfellowshipped me for not liking the WT/NGO alliance.

Brant

• Mary
    Mary
    Gumby asked: How would witnesses respond to this quote? "..Normally, a close relative would not be disfellowshipped for associating with a disfellowshipped person unless there is spiritual association or an effort made to justify or excuse the wrongful course..."

Most Dubs probably are only vaguely aware of this "rule", which is why so many shun family members who are DF'd. They may not think they have any option and naturally no one in the congregation will be bothered to enlighten them. The quote above is from the Elder's Manual and to me, it's basically saying: As long as the DF'd family member doesn't talk about "spiritual matters" with you, then there is no reason for the Witness family members to shun the relative.'

Minimus said: They would believe that they COULD associate with their relatives if they were df'd but they would realize they couldn't be "exemplary".

Ah yes, and above all things, we know that Witnesses must guard their reputations for appearances sake, even if it means treating your DF'd family member like garbage.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Normally, a close relative would not be disfellowshipped

for associating with a disfellowshipped person unless there

is spiritual association or an effort made to justify or

excuse the wrongful course.

My interpretation of this characteristically vague, winking, you-understand-what-we-mean-right? counsel is that if the elders get wind of the fact that sister or brother so-and-so is associating with a DF'd relative, that this isn't a straight-to-JC issue, but potentially a future one if the "wrongful course" is continued. To "justify or excuse the wrongful course" implies that the JW in question is going to be confronted and given strong counsel™ about the matter by a single elder, with the unspoken but understood implication of facing three if the counsel™ isn't heeded.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit