Instead of going to the assembly.....

by Dawn 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Dawn
    Dawn

Last year I seriously thought of going to the summer district convention for a day or two just to listen to the information once again now that I've been out so long. I thought it would be interesting to hear it "as an outsider" - but I just could not make myself go. I found too many other things that I would much rather spend my time at during the summer months.

So I thought it would be fun to list a few of the things I have actually done now instead of going to assemblies, meetings, or field service:

• Boating/Water skiing
    • Fishing
    • Camping
    • Study Dance (I danced in my first public performance this past summer!)
    • White water rafting
    • Hangout in the back yard and play with the kids
    • BBQ with friends
    • Watch all the good Thursday night shows and drink whiskey & cokes with my hubby
    • Meet my girlfriends at Tony Romas every Tuesday night for dinner
    • Sleep in
    • Go to Denny's for breakfast
    • Yard work - ok, that one's not fun, but it's still better than assemblies, meetings, or field service

Ok - now it's your turn. Share some of the things you enjoy doing now with your spare time.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I always thought to myself ... what would I do if I were not at the meeting. But life is such that now I think to myself ..... how in world would I be able to get everything done in a day if I still went to all those meetings, studied, went out in service, yada, yada, yada. Instead of going to the meeting, I just live my life rather then sit in a room being told that I am not good enough and wondering how I can become better.

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

My spare time is now consumed with siplification ( getting rid of all the crap collected over the years)

The rest of my spare time is spent on relocation plans. USVI

UWUF

• earthtone
    earthtone

I think I'm going to take some finance classes. I got a feeling I will be supporting my JW mother and sending my little brother to college. I need all the knowledge I can get.

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

Well lets see, I started doing these things progressively more as I faded away and now I'm doing these things all the time

• Spend more time with my non-jw family
    • I read more non-jdub books
    • I associate more with my coworkers/neighbors
    • I am teaching myself more programs on the computer
    • I do more side jobs for cash
    • Exercise more / have a better diet
    • I joined a dance class to make more friends (meet 'worldly' chicks)
    • I'm back in college part-time (finally going to finish my degree)

Here are some things I plan to do by next year (As you can see, I don't have a fear of heights)

• Skydiving (one time... maybe twice, airstrip is in NJ and I will do this in the spring)
    • Scuba diving (Want to get my certification)
    • Hand gliding / para-sailing (Always wanted to try, there is this club in NY that goes regularly)
    • Travel to Europe for the first time (Summer vacation)
    • Ballooning (anyone from NY or NJ want to come with me, let me know... the place is in NJ and I will go this spring)

It is nice to finally do some of the things I always wanted to do, have the time to do it and not worry about what people will say.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

going to college.

taking on paying photo shoots

hanging with friends,

Going out of town without taking a Bible

sleeping in

kissing in early morning hours (or did)

reading

visiting on jwd

calling old friends

etc...I think I could go on and on.

did I say sleeping in?

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Theres to much to do in this life to waste your time sitting in a boring meeting.

• greendawn
    greendawn

There are fifty or one hundred things one can do that are not toxic to the human spirit as are the JW gatherings with all the subtle lying and manipulation. I would read a well researched anti JW book that exposes their real nature and objectives, or go swimming.

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

Moutain Biking on Sunday mornings

Karate on Thursday evenings

Tuesday evening is cheap night at the movie, so the wife and I go often.

Use my vacation time to go to the beach, mountain bike trips, visit family instead of attending assemblies.

• thepackage
    thepackage

Focusing on my Career, relaxing, watch TV

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit