Running my first 5K - Want to come and cheer me on? :D

by Elsewhere 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess
    Princess

I checked the website for your run and the winner finished under 16 minutes last year and faster the year before. Some people just fly.

Steve is usually waiting for me at the finish line. He says a lot of the really fast people cross the line and vomit. The shorter the run, the more people tossing at the finish. Gross huh?

My best time is 22 minutes and change for a 3.5 mile run, sub 7 minute splits. Can't maintain that for much longer than that though. My splits go to 7:30 for 10K, 8:40 for half marathon. I'm still working on running a full without injury. Shooting for Rock and Roll Arizona in January, with a finish under 3:45.

Best advice? Start somewhere in the middle of the pack. The people in front will just push you around so let them go first. Find your comfortable pace and have fun! You'll do great. Everyone I've talked into a 5K has run faster than they thought they could.

Rachel

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Best wishes, Elsewhere!!

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Those are great times, Princess. I would guess that Lori and I would be in the 25-29 minute range, though it's hard to say. She's in much better condition than I am, and younger, so she might be faster. We have a loop that we run through the mountains that is probably in the 2.5-3 mile range, and we do it in well under 30 minutes now.

The nice thing about running is you can really get better for decades. I was at a local 5k this summer, and it was run in under 16 minutes by the winner, who was in his mid-50s!

So, Elsewhere, have a great time!

S4

• Princess
    Princess
    The nice thing about running is you can really get better for decades. I was at a local 5k this summer, and it was run in under 16 minutes by the winner, who was in his mid-50s!

I love hearing that! I started running in 2002 and I'll be 37 in November.

Last March while I was running my sub 7:00 splits in the St Patty's Dash in Seattle, I was passed by a seven year old! He was running by himself, his dad and older (10 y.o.) brother were ahead of him. Everyone in the pack I was running with, were just blown away to be passed by this little kid. I'll have to go back and find him in the results. I'm sure his is a name we'll be seeing around the Pacific NW running pages.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

OK, I'm now confident I'm 100% ready for the 5k this weekend... I just finished running my first solid 5k at a local track.

I also did an extra 1/4 mile just to make sure I didn't miscount my laps... you know... as in 40 lashes less one, only this was plus one.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

All right!!

S4

• brutusmaximus
    brutusmaximus

Sorry I can't be there to cheer you on but I am sure you will do great

I ran a 10K here at the weekend now if I can do that you can do 5K no probs

All the best

BM

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I did it!

Granted, I didn't come close to competing with the more "pro" runners... but I did it! I finished my first official 5k run without needing to walk or rest.

When I crossed the finish line I didn't have the mental capacity to properly note my times , but they were something like:

Chip Time: Somewhere over 33 Minutes
    Gun Time: Somewhere over 36 Minutes

Chip Time is the true time from starting line to finish line. Gun Time is the time from the gun fire to finish... this is longer because of the fact that lots of runners are all clogged up at the starting line and you end up having to wait until the crowd clears out before you can start running.

I'm sure I will be mailed or emailed my formal times down to the second.

Since I broke 3 miles a few days ago I started to realize something interesting... when I run beyond 2 or 2.5 miles I develop an odd sensation as if I could continue running indefinitely. I haven't pushed myself to see just how far I can go, but I do wonder!

Now that I've done a 5k I most certainly will have to start training for a 10k race!

Now I'm off to have a nice cold beer!

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Ah Crap! I forgot and I really wanted to go cheer you on! Dang it I am so sorry Elsewhere. Damn it!

Well congrats. Now I have to get moving because if you can do this, I should be able to also. It has only been 15 years since I did this sort of thing. lol

• luna2
    luna2

Congrats, Elsewhere! Very exciting...good for you!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit