Do you believe Jesus was married?

by gaiagirl 24 Replies latest jw friends

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

This is related to my question in "Entertainment" regarding "The Da Vinci Code". In the book and the movie, it is claimed that Jesus was actually married to Mary Magdelene, and that they had a child, descendants of whom survive even at the present time. So, my question is: Do you think any of this is true, could possibly be true, or is just plain wrong? Personally, I rather think it would have been unusual for a 30 year old Jewish man to NOT be married at that time and place.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

No, I don't believe Jesus was maried. There is nothing in the extant manuscripts that supports this thought. Interestingly, both Darrell Bock (conservative Christian scholar) & John Domenic Crossan (liberal Christian scholar) agree that there is no evidence to prove that Jesus was married. Since both of these scholars are diametricly opposed on so many issues it is interesting that they both agree on this point.

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

The Bible doesn't comment either way on the subject, this really isn't evidence either way. By "extant manuscripts" do you refer only to manuscripts of canonical bible books selected by Nicean council in the fourth century, or to ALL manuscripts from the 1st century which were used by various Christian congregations? i.e. Gospels of Phillip, of Mary, of Thomas, and of Judas (featured in recent National Geographic), as well as others.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

No.

• nutter
    nutter

You should visit Brighton. There are a lot of unmarried 30 year olds there. You are a nutter too. Do you work on a checkout? I am a nutter, but I do not think Jesus was married, and nor does Dan Brown. It is a story... Dan Brown is a novelist like Enid Blyton. I have a flying saucer, would you like to come for a spin with me? We can both enjoy a packet of peanuts whilst considering why the construction team built the leaning tower of piza at an angle. The Nutter

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    The Bible doesn't comment either way on the subject, this really isn't evidence either way.

True, it is an arguement from silence. However, the fact that noted liberal & conservative theologians agree on this issue speaks volumes to me.

By "extant manuscripts" do you refer only to manuscripts of canonical bible books selected by Nicean council in the fourth century, or to ALL manuscripts from the 1st century which were used by various Christian congregations? i.e. Gospels of Phillip, of Mary, of Thomas, and of Judas (featured in recent National Geographic), as well as others.

This statement is full of common misconceptions. The Muratorian Fragment (dated between 170-200 AD) lists all but two of the current NT canonical books. The two that are missing are missing because the fragment is missing the piece were these two books should be on the fragment. Marcion had a canon list, however being an anti-Semite he did not include Matthew, Mark & John. He did include Luke, but only after editing out Jewish references. I can go on and on with proof that Nicea established the Canon, when a mere cursory glance of history shows that Nicea confirmed what was already the nearly 300 year old established canon of the Christian Scriptures.

Secondly, there is not a Gnostic Gospel that I am aware of, that has been dated as contemporary with the accepted Gospels. This includes the Gnostic Gospels you mention.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I prefer to think of jebus much like I think of celebrity evangelist today! He was getting it on the side in copious amounts!

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

No. Jesus was not the only one not married, so were John the Baptist, the Apostle Paul, and members of the Essene community. In 1 Cor. 9:5 Paul speaks about the wives of the apostles and the brethren of the Lord and Cephas. If Jesus were married, it is truly strange that Paul does not acknowledge it. The words of Jesus from the Cross entrusts the care of his mother to John the Apostle, but not a word is said about his wife, if he had one. Finally, here is Jesus' view of celibacy: "Some are incapable of marriage because they are born so; some, because they were made so by others; some because they have renounced marriage for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Whoever can accept this ought to accept it." (Matt. 19:12)

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Kenneson great points. Over the course of this thread, I am sure that 1 Cor. will be written off since Paul hated women so much, and Matt. as an addition to scripture by woman hating clergy.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

You think if he was married his wife would have been in some of the portraits with him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit