Family moving; Need input

by LtCmd.Lore 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Dawn
    Dawn

Going to college is an excellent piece of advice. When I was 17/18 I had no idea how easy it was to get school loans - I thought that since I didn't have the money (and my parents were certainly not going to pay for it) - then I had no option, so I didn't go to college.

I did eventually get to college (I graduate in 6 months) - but it took me years. If I had only known I could get funding for college I would have left right out of high school.

You can get information from any college on-line site (check out your state college) - or check out http://studentloan.citibank.com/slcsite/ - my son just got a loan there to help cover his tuition. It's low interest, and he doesn't have to make payments until after he graduates. Even then the payments are very low -only around $150 a month. Definately doable!

You have your whole life ahead of you - and in this current business world it is next to impossible to make a good career without that degree. In addition - you will be amazed at how much your mind is opened up to new ideas and views when you are exposed to other cultures, opinions, and experiences.

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

Dawn That's Great!

I didn't want to go to heavy on my sugestions. I graduated when I was 40. If there was one thing I could change : It would have been to start college earlier. My bro and myself both droped out of HS. My bro got a 10 year jump on me. He now owns a 20mil a yr co. I know he could not have done this without an education. EDUCATION BRINGS OPERTUNITIES and allows a person to make educated life choices.

THE MONEY FOR SCHOOL IS EASY TO GET !!!

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

This house thing might be a way to make you feel that you need to stay b/c they need your financial support. Don't let them burden you in this manor. This would be a sin!

• Quandry
    Quandry

Since you are asking for opinions, I'll give mine. I am over fifty and have certainly lived long enough to know that things don't always work out as planned.

Don't be hasty with decisions today about your plans for tomorrow. What if you want to move out but can't find a job? What if you find a job but can't find a roomate and can't afford to live by yourself?

Maybe if you are still "in" Dad might foot the bill for college.

Just don't jump out of the frying pan into the fire. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Look before you leap.

All old sayings but really good for letting you know to weigh all options, first. Time passes oh so quickly. Be patient.

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

Another Question

Do you work now?

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

LtCmdLore

Please don't, for your own diginity, work in a nonskilled capacity. If your parents need help financialy you stand a better chance of helping them if you yourself are financialy secure. And that does not come from the jobs, jehovah provides for his faithful, that of cleaning wordly people feces from toilets.

Trust me feces cleaning is for the uneducated. How many accountants do you know that clean toilets, carpets, or windows for a living?

PM me If I can help.

TIM

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I will offer up a suggestion as the mom of an 18 year old who will be moving out in 2 weeks. We are very crowded in our house also. If it had been possible for the kids to double up and be comfortable, I would have loved it, but our two boys are 13 years apart and my daughter is in the middle. It really isn't working, and a bigger house would be more burdensome, as much as we could use the extra space after he moves. Tell your folks that you don't really think you will be home for long after graduation and that you may make some choices that take you out of your area. (maybe they are dreaming of missionary/Bthel service)Since college is no longer a 4 letter word, that may be an option, but just letting them know you are willing to share and that you *may* be moving on is kind-giving them a heads up and being gracious about sharing. Don't know what your little brother will think of it though. . .Good luck on your future and DON'T SETTLE, go for the best life and don't get too romantically involved until you are financially and emotionally ready for it.(That screws everyone up-in more ways than one!)

Gosh, I sound like a mom!

• nelly136
    nelly136

try and save up some money of your own to fall back on before you even broach the subject of moving out or d'aing, at least enough to get yourself a place. and if you can get your education opportunitys sorted/combined even better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit