Concerning Watchtower Cash and Possible Changes

by metatron 58 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

If you've ever studied authoritarian regimes, you may understand that since access to honest truth is carefully rationed,

all sorts of "reasons" for doing things may appear, that take the place of hard fact. Even worse, the leadership may

come to believe their own nonsense, as with defeated Nazis who claimed that they "never wanted war, it was all the

Jews fault" ( !!). You could also point to mainland China, which enlisted the help of the American CIA to give them

honest figures on their own economy, soon after Nixon's famous visit!

The Watchtower is no exception to this. You can actually get into nasty debates with "higher-ups" in the Society

who persist in believing that the Society did away with food service to help the brothers , who were

overworked at assemblies! They will tell you "what a blessing" simplifcation was, letting these poor souls

sit down and listen to the program, instead of working in steamy kitchens ( which many of them probably preferred).

The fact is, food service at assemblies ended because it was a financial disaster, after the "voluntary

donation" arrangement took hold. How do I know? Because I was an account servant for many years and

witnessed the huge plunge in donations after this change took place. I knew Witnesses who ran food stands

and how people grabbed everything they could because it "was free"! I knew brothers in charge who expressed

dismay over the lack of contributions for food. Do I need to go on?

The Society dumped a 100+ year tradition of mailed subscriptions after their internal audits told them

that this would "balance the books".

The Society started printing paperback books - which Brother Knorr hated - because they knew down to

the penny how much money it would save them , per volume.

The Society dumped most hard bound printing because it costs more.

After they started the new arrangement, they got stingy with sending out free literature, even to people

stuck in institutions ( like prisons) to conserve cash flow. If you visited prisons with the "truth", this could

get embarassing.

The Society sent out "dunning" letters to congregations that didn't contribute enough. Circuit Overseers did private

studies of how much congregations should be sending in - or what might be inhibiting the friends from doing so.

( I knew one that did this).

They dumped half the Awake issues to save money. Don't believe any spin about it. If the Awake interfered with

"emphasis on the Bible", why didn't they dump it decades ago?

There's more I could go on about, but I wouldn't be surprized if they set up a separate entity to produce and ship

literature and magazines - similar to other religions like Adventists. That way, the "spiritual" aspect of

running things is separate from the financial. Sorry, sister, but you need to fork over 40 bucks if you want that

"Insight" book.

As to other matters, I think they see the internet as a minor irritation ( a foolish notion). They may also be adapting

to a future of low/no growth in which changes will be needed, cash flow wise. Unless some 9-11 event intervenes,

you're going to observe lots of spin ( and spin getting lamer and lamer) in the Watchtower's future.

metatron

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Wow puts the spin in perspective to see all their cost saving listed out like that.

• badboy
    badboy

YOU MEAN THEY BELIEVE THEIR OWN PROGANDA!

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Meta, nice comprehensive overview of the WT's financial troubles. It seems likely this "new announcement" will be something to further reduce the financial burden on them.

• Gill
    Gill

Aha!!!!! I think you have it there!

The 'religion' of Jehovahs Witnesses is going to be separate form the book publishing company.

The bros and sis are going to have to pay full price for the books and mags including taxes.

Then they're going to have to also make their usual contributions to the local cong and the WTBTS!!!!

Well done Sherlock!!!!!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Wow met!

It's been said that the bros and sis's wont't like the forthcoming "big announcement", and if you are right, they are going to hate it. Not much hurts a jw more than a blow to the pocket.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    The 'religion' of Jehovahs Witnesses is going to be separate form the book publishing company.

This is just more speculation (I know, I said it was a waste of time - but I cant STOP!! lol) but this does fall in line with the 2000 Annual Meeting where the GB was removed from the Board of Directors for the WT Society. Perhaps the WT Society itself will branch off completely and be used as a private contracting publisher, and everything else will be run under the "Christian Congregation of Jehovahs Witnesses." I could just see Legal finagling this deal... of course, the contracted publisher would mysteriously still be in-house, with access to free labor. I'm not lawyer, but it seems likley the would try to pull off something like this just so they could charge for literature again.

• lawrence
    lawrence

Based on the money grubbing tendencies of the Crooklyn pseudo-MBAs, I'd be willing to bet that the next "New Light" will include pledging contribution funds, WT funds, assembly funds, special project funds, book and magazine funds a year in advance (September to August) with credit card impressions taken by the faithful for the faithful. Then the WTS can eliminate cash and the money trail. At the meeting it will be stressed that Publishers and Pioneers must have plastic, and if they don't, the WTS will grant them WT credit cards at 42.65% interest rates. No one will be disfellowshipped until their pledges are paid. So much for "we never beg money like the rest of the religions."

• Gill
    Gill

Lawrence!!!!! - A Watchtower Credit Card!!! That's ingenious!

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    A Watchtower Credit Card!!! That's ingenious

I want the one with Babylon the Great on it... although I'm sure most will go for the "lamb beside lion eating hay."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit