My husband is smoking pot

by jurs 70 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

Slayer,

Why are other opinions "ignorant"? Someone says they were addicted. Why do you doubt them? Why do you defend your life style when the purpose of this thread was to help Jurs?

Can someone be addicted and no chemicals are ingested? How about gambling. Gambling is legal, there is no drug ingested and gambling can ruin lives. I won't call you ignorant in turn for you saying so about others. I will call your thinking simplistic and off the topic of helping Jurs. If you want to defend your beliefs, why don't you start another thread rather than detract from the help given.

AA and alcohol counselors tell the alcoholic not to take any other drug, including grass. What is your opinion, and if you disagree, with the professionals, what is your rationale for your desagreement?

• jurs
    jurs

Thanks for all the replies. Sometimes I feel like I'm at wits ends and I really have no one to talk to. Our marriage has had serious problems since I said " I do ".
    Perhaps I shouldn't have shared those problems to a bunch of people on the internet , what can I say ..... I'm a dork.
    Jurs

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Jurs!

(((((((((Jurs))))))))))

You are not a dork! You need support! You were right to look for some. It is out there. So many people know what you are going through and have been through it themselves. Those are the people who can help you. They want to hear your story and tell you theirs. It helps so much to share and to be understood and to realize you arn't crazy...your feelings are real and they count.
    I know how it is. I know how it feels. You are not alone!

--LisaBObeesa
    [email protected]

ps..I am so sorry that I played any part in the highjacking of this thread. :(

• larc
    larc

Jurs,

You would be a dork, it you didn't ask for advice. I think you should also ask for advice in real life as well, of a drug abuse counselor and Alanon.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral
    Well, ignoring any pharmacalogical aspects of marijuana, there is at least the smoke in the lungs part that is bad for the body.

Isn't this at least partly a function of the dose? I can't remember where I read this -- possibly at one of the pro-weed information sites such as yahooka.com:

To summarize, it was conceded that marijuana contains more bad-for-your-lungs stuff than tobacco, weight for weight. In other words, if you smoked as much marijuana as there is tobacco in a pack of cigarettes, you would have taken in more harmful substances than there are in the same weight of tobacco.

BUT: The $275/ounce question is: Could you smoke marijuana like tobacco -- 20 cigarette-sized joints or more per day, all by yourself? The joints I have access to area about half the size of a cigarette, and I can't finish one; an ounce lasts all the adults in our family for about six months. Four tokes, and me and God are makin' out in the corner.

GentlyFeral

• Deacon
    Deacon

Jurs

If alcohol or drugs are involved in any family problems...then they ARE the problem.

Being in the biz (medicine)...Ive listened to all angles of viewpoints re: the matter.

Bottom line is, generally it is not beneficial for anyone to abuse substances, and specifically not for individuals who cannot say no or who have no off switch.

My professional observation over 24 years of practice..there is no minimum or maximum as to what substance usage causes problems...for some it is as little as one drink, to others its 20 pints of beer or a bottle or two of spirits...one hit of pot or a pound of it...

If the reliance is there on anysubstance...then the problem is there too.

One thing I know for absolute sure. Whether is is drink or drugs...the individual is not reacting under their own mental capacity and rationality...you have no relationship with a bottle or a joint..and that is what you are dealing with.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Well, it's not really the topic of this thread, but I've said what I think re. jurs situation, so as to my thoughts about the wider issues - how about saying 'Just Say Know' instead of 'Just Say No'.

Drugs are unavoidable, so teach kids about them. Ignorance about drugs can be more dangerous than the drugs themselves. Also simplistic black/white 'drugs are bad, m'kay, because drugs are bad, m'kay?' thinking is plain dumb.

But I can understand how jurs who wants to, as she says, have a 'leave it to beaver' family (something which means zip to a Brit but contextually I take it to be shades of the Brady Bunch), and that's her right, and if I had an alcohlic husband who started getting utterly stoned I'd be p'd off too, if I didn't realise that it might be something to wean him of alcohol on.

I know several people who had drinking problems who smoke pot but are now 'normal' drinkers, having identified the negative nature of their personality when they were drinking. One of them is my best mate in the world. He however wasn't an 'alcoholic'.

However, the 'once you're an alcoholic you have to quit and never touch alcohol again' opinion held by many in the USA and indeed the UK (whilst it works for many) is perhaps a simplification; I think many European's think differently. My girlfriend's father was an alcoholic for a number of years, and has got it under control and can drink 'socially'.

Of course, this opens debate on whether he WAS an alcoholic, which highlights my point; alcoholic is a label, and can be mis-applied, or used with or without the general 'I have an addictive personality' mantra for abdegating personal responsibility.

Having said this, I personally feel pot is way more addictive <<for me>> than many give it credit for, but it's purely psychological - if it's not there, I don't jones or anything. I can go away on holiday for three weeks and not miss it.

However, if I have a bag of weed I smoke it. And I make sure I normally have a bag of weed. Is that poor self control, addiction, or just really liking it? I should mention, I have a job, have been promoted twice this year, blah, blah, blah.

If a substance is taken FOR pleasure, then you're being human. If a drug is taken AS pleasure, you run risks. If the consumption of a drug degrades your ability to function in society, relationships, the workplace, you are paying a heavy price for fun. If you take drugs for pleasure, and are fully functional in your life, whose business is it what you do?

Even if you are taking drugs as pleasure and are functionally impaired, to paraphrase Jesus, "The losers will always be with us".

What we need is a legislative framework that helps them rather than locking up over a million people in the USA for non-violent drug 'crime'; i.e., crimes of possesion.

• larc
    larc

Feral and Abaddon,

What is your advice to Jurs?

• ballistic
    ballistic

You haven't asked for my advice, but perhaps you shouldn't have mentioned the cannabis. This detracted from your problem because it is becoming more and more acceptable and is not addictive.
    You need to concentrate on the alcohol problem.
    There have been times in my life when I have relied heavily on alcohol, such as when out of work or in a stressful situation. I currently have no problem with it and have not had to give it up totally as some have suggested. But my experience with dope is totally different, done in an occassional social environment, never to excess and given up from one day to the next without a second thought.
    Concentrate on the alcohol, seeking professional help if required. This is where the problem is, not cannabis.

• ballistic
    ballistic

<<<< just going to get a beer!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit