what a revelation!

by solo 29 Replies latest jw friends

• solo
    solo

This is my first post and what a revelation this site has been to me (excuse the pun) if only this had been available when i walked away from the "truth" in 1987, it would have made life a lot more bearable for me.

i was brought up a JW and was baptized at 14 because i thought it was the right thing to do, endured a very strict upbringing combined with the dreadful routines of worship, study and door knocking. We were deprived of any enjoyment (tv, friends, outings, fun, etc). Education was a bit of a disruption, having moved to where the need was greater our schooling was interrupted so many times we never made any friends. I managed to scrape some certificates but my education was not an issue and was never dicussed, no one was interested so obviously i pioneered having left school and took some crappy part time jobs to pay my keep. My goodness life was quite unenjoyable.

At 20 i married a JW as i imagined this would improve my quality of life. Well i was wrong, i married a pig who i just could not put up with. I told my Elder dad that i did not want to be miserable for the rest of my life so i was leaving my husband. I made a big decision to get divorced and dissassociate myself from the congregation.

I braced myself for the inevitable fact that my parents would shun me, but it was still a shock when my dad looked at me and said you know that we won't have anything to do with you, oh by the way you will have to find a new job and somewhere else to live. I was at the time working for my dad and living in a small house my mum owned. At 21 years old with limited social skills, no preparation for the outside world it was quite a shock.

But hey, stuff them I did it. I went on my way into the world, got a job, got somewhere to live and I survived. I missed noone from the Congregation because i had no friends there. After 3 years my parents contacted me and i am no longer shunned. But it has made me a very strong person. It took me about 10 years to realise that it is a cult and what they beleive a load of horseshit. But to find this site and to have it confirmed by everyone else here is fantastic, i feel inwardly vindicated.

some of the stuff i read here makes me laugh and laugh, some of it makes me want to cry but to find other people who feel the same way is such a relief!

• JH
    JH

Welcome to the board solo

Glad to have you here with us.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi solo, and welcome to the forum, I am glad you found us.

You will enjoy it here, it's a great place to be.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Welcome Solo!

I was in the Gloucester congregation from 1990 to about 1999. Im not from Gloucester originally but I love this area and wouldnt move back to Yorkshire now for anything.

• Arthur
    Arthur

Welcome Solo !

Glad to have you with us

• earthtone
    earthtone

So glad you joined us! I look forward to hearing from you around the forum.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Hi Solo!

• ferret
    ferret

WELCOME Solo

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

solo,

maybe you'd like to join us in October for the Apostacurry?

Here's the link http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/117203/9.ashx

• JimWood
    JimWood

Welcome. Hope to see you post, often.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit