A Night In The Woods...

by Justice-One 80 Replies latest jw experiences

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    And what a lot of people do not know, is that it is legal to camp anywhere in a National Forest or Wilderness Area. You do not have to be at an "approved" campground.

Interesting, I didn't know this.

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    We are deeply connected to our earth, our environment and other beings human and animal. We have a relationship and interdependence that is undeniable, yet we deny it in a hundred little ways every day. Some brave souls, like to go out into the woods, or the oceans, alone, and remind themselves of this relationship, contemplate this connection. It can bring deeper understanding of ourselves and our world.

You do have a way with words. You really do. I sometimes forget that not everyone was raised on a farm like me, or spent countless hours hunting with their Dad....and then cleaning the days hunt for the pot. Not to mention all the other things that I did on the farm, that I forget not everyone has a clue about.

There is a line from the movie Red Dawn that always made me think of the things my Dad taught me......"We can hunt, we can fish. We can stay up here a long long time."

I really miss my Dad.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Interesting thing to confront a fear. Good for you. I have grown up in WA state and know that there be dangerous critters-not even far from home(On my way to the comissary I often come across deer in the road-and cougars are not unheard of) I have never been afraid of things that go bump in the night, my fear is my son doing something unwise and hurting himself or others. He is 18 and drives like a loon.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

At the risk of taking this threat into another controversial turn, I can't help but notice that most of the pot smokers I've met are rather mellow and peaceful types who enjoy nature and wouldn't hurt a fly. (and no, I don't smoke pot, at least not anymore ). Yet, so many of us are acknowledging the very real danger of accidentally coming upon grow-ops in the woods and the fear of resulting violence. Understandable, because there is huge money to be made and where the big money is, greed and violence usually follow.

So, just a thought to throw out there. How many think this problem might be somewhat alleviated by the legalization of marijuana. Then any medical users, or just mellow users, could grow a few plants in peace on their window sills and it would eliminate the market for grow-op dealers and eliminate the tax dollars needed for police to enforce the law and also cut down on the back log in our courts and free up a few much needed jail cells so we could give the pedophiles some longer sentences! Just a thought.

Cog

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    And if i had to do it, you can be sure you'd have one more vegetarian! I know its hypocritical of me, but I am a softy at heart and hate to watch animals suffer,

Same here. I hate to see animals suffer, and always go for the quick clean kill. I believe that most hunters feel the same way.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Hey Daniel

I'm with you. I wrote that but I have never killed or skinned or bled my own meat either. My husband does it for me. If I had to do it, I would be a vegetarian too because I am a big softy. I tell my husband, if you want to eat meat, then you better bring it to me clean and filleted and packaged up like you got it from Safeway! I don't think this is hypocritical, it is just honest about my own limitations! I want to be disconnected from the meat I am eating. I don't want to think about what it was or I tend to lose my appetite. But at least I'm honest about this disconnect. I don't think it's fair of people to trash the hunters of meat out there unless they are total vegetarians. That is hypocrasy!

We used to have witness friends that gave my husband a hard time for hunting. My husband has great respect for the wilderness and does not trophy hunt. Only for food. I would ask them if they ate meat. They would say yes, but that's different, it was raised for food. I would ask them if they think that was any consolation to the cow on his way to the slaughterhouse? At least the deer or moose my husband shot had a nice life before my husband downed it with one clean shot! You can bet the cow didn't. I hate hypocrasy!

Cog

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    Then any medical users, or just mellow users, could grow a few plants in peace on their window sills and it would eliminate the market for grow-op dealers and eliminate the tax dollars needed for police to enforce the law and also cut down on the back log in our courts and free up a few much needed jail cells so we could give the pedophiles some longer sentences! Just a thought.

Boy oh boy, this is a HUGE topic with many issues involved. First of all, those mellow, hippie types and college students who already smoke pot - many of them already have their own plants. Many municipalities allow a limited number of plants to be grown for personal use with a doctor's prescription. So I don't think it is this market that is driving those huge plantations way out in the wilderness. Let me tell you, there is a big difference between those with plants in their backyard and those way out in the boonies growing tens of thousands of plants. Each plant is worth anywhere from 3,000 to 5,000 on the street so you can see what a huge profit margin there is to be made. These are the exporting plantations, not just selling it to local folks. And really, there is no more stigma of smoking marijauna in many areas, especially in Northern California. Its not just hippies, and students, its everybody. So to get back to my point, those medical users already grow plants on their "window sills" (have you ever seen a canibus plant? too big for the window sill), and there are many illegal co-ops with crops of a few hundred plants supplying the local "medicinal users."

Second, several counties won't even pursue prosecuting marijauna growers, unless they get into the big time, since they are so numerous and would stagnate the local law enforcement and public attorneys, as you mentioned.

Anyway, in my mind, I think it would be good to legalize. Not so i can go score some, (I don't smoke anything), but because the government is creating the black market by outlawing - the same thing as the great prohibition. People are going to get what they want, legal or illegal. I think legalizing marijuana is really an inevitability, since the feds will eventually see the taxation potential in addition to the billions in taxes they recieve as a reward for their 300+ million a year in subsidies given to tobacco farmers. Anyway, this is offtopic... so I'll leave it at that.

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

Man Daniel, and to think we almost got off on the wrong foot! I'm starting to think you could watch my six anyday. My thinking on this drug thing has changed recently. I now believe it is none of the governments business if someone wants to "self medicate" themselves. They should however be held completely liable for any damage done to themselves or to others. The "War On Drugs" (another "war" that cannot be won) was nothing but a plot to take away more of our rights.

BTW, I have never done drugs, and have no desire to do them. But why should what other people do, as long as it does not interfere with my rights, be of any business of mine?...or the governments?

And manoman did you ever peal the right bannana with that comment on pot and Northern California! I smell the stuff in the air on a daily bases around here. And the Sheriff will not even respond to the report of "growers" unless there is more than 25 plants involved. As they say, the people have spoken, and they do not feel that pot is a big deal around here. Besides, whos to say who has a 215 and who doesn't?

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Thanks for the compliment, Justice. Now do you want to hear the funny truth? I was raised in the city, never went camping, fishing, hunting or skiing as a child. I think I visited a farm once. I am a book worm, and I don't like to get dirty.

My husband first took me hiking, and I whined about my blisters and heavy pack the whole way. lol. He also took me camping, cross country skiing, river and boat fishing, and taught me how to shoot target practice. He didn't take me hunting though, because he knew I couldn't really kill anything. (I am a awesome shot though.) I have a lot of respect for the survival skills this man has and feel safe knowing in an emergency he could probably feed us off the land and build us a shelter (he is a builder by trade). His parents and my mother were also raised on farms which I have visited and seen the cow milked and the chicken's neck rung and plucked, the hogs raised for market, and the hound dogs bring in the kill. These are hard working, strong people who have a lot of knowledge of the soil and respect for the land. I believe they deserve admiration and respect not criticism from us city slickers who have never gotten our hands dirty

Cog.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Hey you guys! I totally understand what you are saying dudes! lol. I live in BC. Home of the famous (infamous) BC bud. I was a nurse and I have seen paraplegic patients growing little plants in the window sill of the rehab unit no less! Yes, the police leave most of those people alone here, too. I do think everyone who is medicated (legal or not) and drives or hurts someone should be fully accountable.

I guess, I was just thinking that if everyone who wanted to could grow their own, then it would eliminate the market for the huge commercial criminal grow-up. Like with alcohol and prohibition, people who want it will get it anyway, so why not just make it legal and tax it or something and hold people accountable for what they do while under the influence.

I didn't really think about the huge international market though, that is really feeding these grow-ups. So yes, I guess it is a very complicated problem with no easy solutions.

No worries. Peace out.

Cog

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit