A Night In The Woods...

by Justice-One 80 Replies latest jw experiences

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit

By the way, I just reread your initial post which actually said you had blank firing devices (essentially noise makers to let you know that something that may be a threat was nearby) which were just to warn you. Like I said, I had a few drinks, so I guess I misread that for booby traps. I'm stupid so forgive me my ignorance. I actually like your ideas. And your fear was of camping in the woods, not just the dangers of the woods. So forgive me the "flack" if you will. I stand by my comments, they just don't really apply to you. They apply to whomever thinks what I thought you were saying, not what you were actually saying. And bears are f*cking scary.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Well River your next to last post did make some sense.

The last one was a little better.

Yep those few drinks kinda float my mind from time to time.

It takes a MAN to put your last post up.

Outoftheorg

• mkr32208
    mkr32208
    Yes four or five dogs can hold a grizzly off but even then the Griz. may kill one or two.

Yeah but I can always get more dogs...

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Going camping in the woods with your family and friends is one thing, but going by yourself takes a lot of guts, and I know what Justice is talking about, most "campers" go to campgrounds with toilets and showers and sometimes you get a visit by the park ranger, however another thing is going way out in the middle of nowhere, no bear boxes to put your food, no one to go get help in case something happens. The fact that Justice set up a safe zone for his campsite is a very smart idea.

A few years ago, I went camping in a KOA campsite, it was nice and with other campers about 50 feet away so it was not really the same experiance like Justice had, but I got a very rude awakening about 2 am my campsite was surrounded by bears, small ones but still to awake and find bears in you campgrounds always makes your heart beat a little louder, they were so close that at one point I had to grab a stick and hit a pan, when that did work I turned up my lantern and restarted my campfire.

I would say the only thing more scary is camping out in the middle of the desert, I take my 12 gauge and my 38spl with me as the last time we had a small snake problem.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I have huge respect for anyone who's done the appalachian trail or pacific rim trail or any of the long trails... To head into the woods alone or even with a friend for 6-8 MONTHS takes HUGE balls!

I'm surprised they can hike with balls that big! Or maybe that's how they chase the bears away!?

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

If you've read about our National Parks and the freaks they attract, you'd feel much better taking a firearm with you.

I have hiked and camped in Yosemite Park and twice had unexpected encounters with bears. One in the middle of the night where it circled me and my campfire for hours which was quite unpleasant, and the second coming down the trail from Half Dome and coming upon a mother black bear and her cub heading up the mountain.

I have no illusions that a pistol is going to stop an attacking bear unless it's one of the really big calibers. One hiker carrying a .38 managed to get off five rounds before he was killed and eaten by a bear. Only one of his shots even penetrated the fat layer. You're going to have to wait for the bear to get really close and try and get it in the face.

I took a class on hiking here in Dallas and our teacher, a prolific hike leader and a woman, often goes out alone deep into the woods on camp-outs. She always sets up a perimeter of brush and branches as an alarm in case "something" is coming down the trail in the middle of the night. The theory is the animal or person will step through the brush in the dark thus making a lot of noise and waking you up. Doing this has alerted her to large animals when they get close to her tent, and in one instance a large bear.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Two years ago when I was on the AT there was a woman in one of the shelters who had been 'camping' for some time. I walked past early enough that I didn't want to stop so it was no problem. I later found out that she was a murderer on the run and was hiding out there! Turns out she had killed 3 people and was caught after assaulting a hiker with a machete...

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    I submit that you have not. Are you still afraid of bears and cougars?

You are missing the point. I never have feared cougars or bears, but I have great respect for them and the power they have. The fear that I was attempting to overcome was the type that happens when you let your imagination go. I have a friend who just got out of the Army. He was a scout in the Third Armor Divission, and he told me about what happened to him late one night when he was out in an LPOP by himself. He told me told me that that night would have went a lot better had he not dredged up images of Iraqi soldiers sneaking up on him with a knife between their teeth. This is why I went to some of the creepest woods I could find, in "Bigfoot country." I wanted to test myself. I wanted to steal myself against fears that were not warranted. As for the tripwires, I still maintain they are common sense when you are out alone in the wilds.

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    It is not about going out there and hoping you will have an encounter and feeling you conquered an animal. It's about conquering your fear of being alone, surviving on your own, with out another living human being to help you.

Exactly!!!

Search and rescue sent out after lost hikers and campers and out of bound skiers who do not know what the hell they are doing is a regular multi-million dollar tax expense out here. Sometimes, if the families are lucky they find their bodies (or bones) in next spring thaw.

Hell, planes still take off out here from our local airport, and are never seen again. Just last year a hiker found the wreckage of a plane that had been lost for more than 40 years! Some just do not understand how remote some areas still are.

My husband went alone once and tripped on a slippery rock. He had to hike miles out by himself on a badly sprained ankle. So give Justice a break already! Sheesh!
    Thank you very much for your understanding. BTW, I would highly recommend that your hubby invest in a PLB. (Personal Locating Beacon.)
  • Justice-One
    Justice-One
    I know that conquering your fears is a very life affirming experience and really does empower you, I personally try to challege my fears all the time and it is amazing how much confidence you develop and how much sweeter life becomes. Kudos to you.

You are right on target with the above. I never used to be this way untill I read G. Gordon Liddy's book Will. Now there is a man who knows how to overcome fears!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit