A Night In The Woods...

by Justice-One 80 Replies latest jw experiences

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

J-1, I appreciated your tale of your nights in the woods, and the fact that you confronted your fear (which is, in fact, a natural fear most humans have - being alone in the wilderness). I didn't think your measures for defence were at all "paranoid," and was shocked to see such a reaction to that by some people. A lot of folks just really arn't aware of the more primal dangers present in the wilderness. If only we lived in a world where bears and mountain lions were the worst predators in the woods. I lived for a while in a mountainous country with many pot farmers. They would often plant their crops deep into National Forests and WIlderness, where old logging roads were the only way in and out. I have come across plantations in various states of security, mostly as a teenager tramping around in the woods, not aware of the true danger. I have been ushered away by gunpoint, and threatened with violence in one instance. Those experiences gave me a gift for talking myself out of bad situations... but this only helps in certain situations.

There are the pot farmers who grow their crops in their backyard and who may be seen sitting in a lawnchair all night with a rifle across their lap - and then there are the true, hardened criminals who go out in the wilderness and hire goons with full-auto weapons at their disposal, setting insidious traps to warn off intruders. These are some of the reasons why going out into the wilderness in this part of the world is not a good idea unless prepared. I don't own any weapons (yet) but then again, I only go camping at capgrounds and hiking on well-worn trails in State Parks and such. I don't do much in the back country National Forests anymore like I used to when I was a kid.

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    So what is the appeal of camping if you have to be on guard against human predators, bears, cougars, snakes, mosquitos, etc? How can you enjoy yourself?

Well for one thing, going alone was just something I had to do because I feared it. I much prefer going with a few good friends. (ex military.) There is strength in numbers. Not to mention the scotch and cigars taste better with company. And how can I enjoy myself? Easy. Even when I was up there alone, it was something else to look up and see stars that were briliant bacause there was no city within 100 miles to wash them out. Also the shooting stars are always a treat. Not to mention just how clean everything smells. And there was always the chance that I could have shot Bigfoot, strapped him to the hood of my car, then spent the rest of my life on the lecture circuit, at thousands of dollars an hour.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    So what is the appeal of camping if you have to be on guard against human predators, bears, cougars, snakes, mosquitos, etc? How can you enjoy yourself?

In some instances, it is because of these dangers that attracts people. Also, most of the time, the danger is relatively low - you just don't want to go unprepared. Of course, it varies greatly with where you are camping - I mean you can camp almost anywhere, in thousands of parks in just California where I live. I personally enjoy camping and hiking because you can get closer to nature, enjoy the peace and quiet, engage in strenuous activity, see incredible views, breathe fresh air, feel the elements, watch birds, catch fish, the list goes on and on.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Good question Serendipity

I am a creature of comforts so I don't like camping that much. I want to be clean and sleep in a comfy bed. I do see the appeal in it though. Sometimes, it gets very quiet and peaceful and you are communing with nature and feeling the rythm of life and how it is all connected in some way. It can be a deeply spiritual experience. Humbleing also. Don't get the impression, because of the turn this thread has taken, that outdoorsmen are all out there constantly on guard with their fight or flight reflex constantly triggered, their rifle on the ready, waiting to be attacked. It's just that the rational mind understands and respects the fact that unexpected encounters can happen and takes the sensible precautions. Then you relax and enjoy nature.

Think of it as a person who understands robberies might occur in their neighbourhood. They lock their doors, perhaps get an alarm, buy some insurance, keep their valuables in a safe or safety deposit box. Then they relax and enjoy their home. They do not sit in fear behind locked doors, afraid to go out or afraid to open the door and let anyone from the world in. Well, actually, some do that because their fear and paranoia get the better of them. That's not what we are talking about here, though. Just understanding the risks and taking sensible precautions. That's what Justice was doing, and then he sat in the dark and faced up to and conquered any irrational fears or paranoia he might have. What an empowering exerience!

Cog

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    Don't get the impression because of the turn this thread has taken that outdoorsmen are all out there constantly on guard with their fight or flight reflex constantly triggered, their rifle on the ready waiting to be attacked.

Getting out in the woods is a way to be allowed to let go of that fight or flight reflex. The measures J-1 took I think were more than usual because he was specificaly confronting his fear, whereas a typical backpacker would not take those measures as he/she would be near others at night in clearly delineated campsites and on well-worn trails. I go camping and hiking in order to not worry like I do at home. There are infinite more dangers just driving to the store and back in a city. As far as bears go, it is not typically a good idea to set up a defence without actually getting rid of anything the bear might want. Bears in the wilderness are usually more timid than bears near a park, and will not consider invading your space unless you have something they can smell, for example and kind of food, canned or packaged, suntan lotion, toothpaste, garbage, really dirty laundry, diapers, etc.

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

Good to hear from you Dan. And I agree completely that the pot growers are the biggest threat by far in the deep woods. And considering pot is the biggest cash crop grown in the county I live in, it does give one pause. This is another reason why when I go into a new area, (mostly scouting for new places to hunt) I always try to go the first time in "squad size." In other words with at least 3 or 4 other well armed and trained friends. One of the FIRST things I was told when I moved out here, was do NOT go into the mountains alone. And yeah, I still had to do it at least once. And BTW, I even got some grief about this from my "Gung-Ho" buddies. I had called them up and told them not to call my house looking for me that weekend, as I had told my wife that I was out camping with them. Hell, do you think my wife would have approved of this? But I did take my PLB, and left a map on my desk notated with my exact position, and the time I was due back. Besides, I have my wife trained not to worry until Search And Rescue calls.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

It occurs to me, while participating in this thread, that many of us who live in cities or towns, work in offices or stores or other buildings, buy our meat and milk and produce from a supermarket and our clothes from Costco and Walmart, have lost touch with the land and our environment to some degree. Many of us have never slept outdoors under the stars, many have never milked a cow and drank the milk straight from it. Many have never dug our hands in the soil, toiling in the hot sun to water and weed and harvest our own food. Many have never had to kill our own meat, pour the blood out, skin it and cut and cook it over a fire and know that we have taken a life to sustain our own.

We are deeply connected to our earth, our environment and other beings human and animal. We have a relationship and interdependence that is undeniable, yet we deny it in a hundred little ways every day. Some brave souls, like to go out into the woods, or the oceans, alone, and remind themselves of this relationship, contemplate this connection. It can bring deeper understanding of ourselves and our world.

Cog

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    I mean you can camp almost anywhere, in thousands of parks in just California where I live.

And what a lot of people do not know, is that it is legal to camp anywhere in a National Forest or Wilderness Area. You do not have to be at an "approved" campground.

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    Bears in the wilderness are usually more timid than bears near a park, and will not consider invading your space unless you have something they can smell, for example and kind of food, canned or packaged, suntan lotion, toothpaste, garbage, really dirty laundry, diapers, etc.

Yup. I was perticulary carefull with my food. Anything I did not eat was burned. And my precautions are never done when I have my friends with me. Some of them are VERY light sleepers, and are very in tune to any threats. Must have something to do with recently being in a war zone.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    Many have never had to kill our own meat, pour the blood out, skin it and cut and cook it over a fire and know that we have taken a life to sustain our own.

And if i had to do it, you can be sure you'd have one more vegetarian! I know its hypocritical of me, but I am a softy at heart and hate to watch animals suffer, plus I can't stand the site of blood and guts n stuff.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit