The WBT is a cult. Why can't dubs see?

by KW13 21 Replies latest jw friends

• KW13
    KW13

We watch the news, we read newspapers and stuff and we hear about nutters who are up to weird stuff. Sometimes we read about/hear about cults.

The Society is obviously one.

Can't read books/magazines if they disagree with the Society
    Can't go on websites that disagree with the Society
    Can't watch TV shows/programs that disagree with the Society
    Can't speak to people who disagree with the Society (also shunning ex-jw's or limiting contact)

Discouraged from voting, large gatherings, some celebrations, even spending time with worldly family. If something 'would bring reproach on Jehovah's name' then keep it in.

The invasion of privacy, making sure that folks don't go off the rails - even sometimes 'covert' operations to catch people out.

Its obviously meant to stop people seeing what its all about, which leads me on to my next question.

Why can't the dubs see, they are in a cult?
    Are some of the methods above, stopping them seeing?
    How far into the Watchtower Society would you have to go, before you met someone who knows its lies?

• blondie
    blondie

The biggest stumbling block to JWs seeing the WTS is a cult is that they think a cult has to have one strong personality running the show. The WTS no longer has that phenomenon with the dismantling of the board of directors in the 1970's and the institution of a many-membered "governing body." Up till then the focus was on the president as the controlling member.

Secondly, it is hard to get people to see the dynamics in their alcoholic and/abusive household. The WTS is an abusive family and its members defend it much the same as members in a literal abusive/alcoholic family living in the Land of Denial.

Blondie

• Dansk
    Dansk

Karl,

If you were totally blind, could YOU see?!

They need an eye cure first!

Ian

• KW13
    KW13

Good points, i know what you mean ian.

Its just so, ya know. Frustrating and sad. All these people, wasting life and potential, and its gonna hurt if they discover one day they could of had more of there life and had more fun, instead of being scared for most of it.

• KW13
    KW13

Delete me, double post.

• Dansk
    Dansk
    All these people, wasting life and potential, and its gonna hurt if they discover one day they could of had more of there live and had more fun, instead of being scared for most of it.

Karl,

How very true. As you know, I've had a serious disease and almost died. My daughter never got in touch in the past three years. Could you imagine what it would be like for her for me to die and then she found out she had been living a lie and I had been telling her the truth all along?!!

Ian

• K-Dub
    K-Dub

They don't want to see. They feel too superior knowing they're in the truth and ur not.

• KW13
    KW13

Ian Said:

Karl,

How very true. As you know, I've had a serious disease and almost died. My daughter never got in touch in the past three years. Could you imagine what it would be like for her for me to die and then she found out she had been living a lie and I had been telling her the truth all along?!!

----------

I know what you mean, its very very sad. IF i could use smilies in firefox, i would of given you a rose.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hi Karl:

IF i could use smilies in firefox, i would of given you a rose.

Got one (see my signature in every post)!

Ian->>>>>>>

• Mary
    Mary
    Why can't the dubs see, they are in a cult?

Ever read George Orwell's 1984 or see the movie? It explains it extremely well why most Dubs can't see they're in a cult, even when the facts are staring them straight in the face. When something is hammered into your thinking patterns over and ove again, you begin to assimilate, even if it's against your will. When you're born into a cult, it makes it even more difficult to break free because it's all you've ever known. In 1984, there were various tortures, both physical and psychological that were implemented to break the subject's mind. The Witnesses employ the same tactics "from infancy on up" until these beliefs are so deeply ingrained that your brain will not accept the truth, even when it's overwhelmingly obvious that you do belong to a cult.

For example, a Witness I know received a flyer in the mail one day that asked "Do Someone You Love belong to a Cult?" and it listed about 10 different points to look for. Even though the vast majority of the signs were all points that the WTS is guilty of, she ignored all of them and zeroed in on the one point that said a charismatic leader might have many sexual partners in the cult. That was enough for her and she said "well, we know that Jehovah's Witnesses don't practice that". So her mind simply ignored all the other signs that indicated she did belong to a cult, because the alternative was too horrifying for her to even consider contemplating.

The one positive thing is: at least with the internet, more and more Dubs are finding out that this IS a cult and they're leaving.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit