Can you completely change beliefs almost overnight?

by JH 17 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

I was talking with a person who was a JW for over 20 years, served in the Org, and then quits after finding out it wasn't the truth, becomes athiest almost overnight after reading many books.

Gee, thats a quick change...

• bavman
    bavman
    JW for over 20 years, served in the Org, and then quits after finding out it wasn't the truth, becomes athiest almost overnight after reading many books.

Sure it's possible. The above sounds like how it went for me as well.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

It didn't happen to me overnight, but I would say that within 6 months of da'ing I was an atheist. I didn't believe in god pre - jw and, 25 or so years later, I have gone back to my previous belief, or lack of it.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    then quits after finding out it wasn't the truth

Hi JH.....you really left a whole lot unsaid in writing this......

If this man was reading something like Crisis if Conscience that has solid proof of the WTS being phonies, or many other documented articles online that led him to the same conclusion....then it wasn't so sudden after all, right?

Granted, it takes at least six months for a JW to try and convince a "bible study" to leave HIS previous beliefs behind, but it doesn;'t hold true when one sees what trash the WTS prints somehwere down the line.

We all take things at our own pace and at times some minds are receptive to the real truth about the WTS sometimes it takes a bit longer with others.

As for the atheist end of things, I know some exJWs are so angry and disappointed with trusting the WTS to be their spiritual guides and leaders, they chuck it ALL when leaving the Borg. It hurts being vulnerable and digging in to the concept---living and breathing it 24/7......and then finding out they've been HAD by liars and schemers.

Thee are so many variables to consider in leaving the WTS that no one pattern fits all. It is a very complex path to travel.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

Everyone is different with what they choose to believe after leaving. And I think alot of it has to do with how long they were in, and how strongly they believed it was the "truth". Some may feel the need to do a 180! Some just leave and are just happy to be out. I myselft have not stopped believing in god. Simply cause I would like to believe there is more out there for me after I die! But, its all blind faith.

• luna2
    luna2
    becomes athiest almost overnight after reading many books.

Couldn't have been overnight, JH, unless he was a speed reader.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    I was talking with a person who was a JW for over 20 years, served in the Org, and then quits after finding out it wasn't the truth, becomes athiest almost overnight after reading many books.

Gee, thats a quick change...

You really asked about "changing" beliefs. In the case of your atheist, he dropped a belief. Changing might take some time, particularly if it's a religious belief which tends to include a lot of squidgy evidence that requires faith to hold on to.

But dropping a belief is a whole other thing. For instance, if you believe that paper doesn't burn, then see it burning, you can pretty quickly change your belief. If it was a deeply entrenched belief, you may need to burn some paper yourself. But once a belief is demonstrated to be wrong, it doesn't take long to stop believeing it.

And yeah, it was pretty much overnight for me, too.

Dave

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

As others have said it would be impossible to change everythign over night.

One thing I learned was that we rarely understand how deep the WT teachings go (or any belief for that matter) There are the basic/core beliefs but there are also deeper beliefs that we don't even think about until a situation arises that forces us to rethink the situation.

Recovery from cult life and beliefs requires a lot of exploration. It is a process and certainly not just a matter of saying "I don't believe whatever anymore" And even that is a lot easier to say what we don't believe than it is to rebuild a new set of beliefs

• ButtLight
    ButtLight
    becomes athiest almost overnight

I dont think he meant that literally. Just a saying. I have noticed that some people who put many years into it, seem to be more gung ho on either exposing the wt, or just completely disbelieve in any type of religion or god. I have been out pretty much since 18 years old, so it didnt affect me that much! (except the shunning) But even that isnt that bad for me, cause I lived so far away from all my reletives, that I didnt have contact with them anyway. For others, it has to really be hard.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Yep, how about in one morning? Friday, July 4th, 2003, we were on our way to the District Convention. I was still a true believer, but very frustrated with PEOPLE, not necessarily doctrine. I started reading Crisis of Conscience when we hit the freeway west of Portland. By the time we reached Seattle, I knew it was all lies and I wouldn't be going back. Two days later we made a token showing at the Sunday program of the D.C. (we were there for about an hour of program, and an hour of lunch break.) We haven't been back since.
    So yeah, I think your beliefs can completely change overnight, though as Dave (AA) said, it really is more about dropping beliefs that you have discovered are not true. I don't think a person can change ALL of their beliefs overnight, (or overnight-ish,) since it takes a bit of effort and self-evaluation to sort through them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit