Time to criticize another religion: Islam

by SonoftheTrinity 20 Replies latest social current

• SonoftheTrinity
    SonoftheTrinity

Please understand I have nothing against Islam. I have something against alpha Muslim men.

I was walking my cute little chihuahua mix in the park the other day when darts off sniffing since I am using a retractable extension leash and I am not minding the fact that he comes up on a Muslim family and gets within a foot of them. The paterfamilias gives me a dirty look and then says something to his wife and I can make out the word "saif" which is Arabic for "sword." I was about to get all rednecky on him but my better angels prevailed, I gave him a screw you very much smile, and just walked. Mind you this is one day after Islamic State terrorists in Libya beheaded 21 Coptic Christian. So while I smile and walk away, my ancestors' crusader blood is boiling within me. I don't care if dogs are unclean in Islam. They are in my country, so they should conform to American conventions of treating animals.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Why would he be using the word for "sword"?
  • Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

When a dog comes up to me sniffing it makes me feel like just another piece of $hit.

Otherwise the Islamic faith needs to grow up just like all other religious faiths need to grow up. They need to realize the world they live in is not what their ancient ancestors thought.

• Simon
    Simon

Some of the language you use makes it sound like you may have had prejudices that colored your view of the encounter.

Is it possible someone just didn't like dogs?

Trying to judge people on basically 'nothing' doesn't help solve the problem.

• user100
    user100
    islam is the only true religion worshipping the only true god.. JWs are a close second.
  • SonoftheTrinity
    SonoftheTrinity

Simon, you have a point. Not everybody is a dog lover. And my prejudices were colored by the beheadings in Libya on that day. Hate begets hate. I have Muslim friends and I know not all Muslims are like that.

Anyway, Simon, for an immigrant to be fully accepted as an American, they have to like dogs. America is a dog centered culture. Just look at Cesar Millan, where would he be if he hated dogs?

Google Dogs and Islam. There are a lot of conflicts in Europe between dog lovers and Muslims.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Are you willing to blow yourself up for your GOD. Now that is faith. I would have a difficult time fasting. We did not have it so bad, we knocked on a few doors, we didn't have to pray three times a day and our women didn't look like mummies dress from head to toe.

• Simon
    Simon
    Google Dogs and Islam. There are a lot of conflicts in Europe between dog lovers and Muslims.

It's often worth looking at things more holistically as often times they are not so clear cut as to what is cause and effect.

Take dogs - there are something like 60,000 deaths caused by rabies each year which is a horrible disease and most of these occur in Asia / Indonesia (strongly muslim).

Maybe some people's aversion to, or lack of love for dogs (compared to our own) be down to such things?

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

I just received the following link to a very long article on ISIS in the Atlantic journal. The person who sent me the article said, "The similarities between ISIS and the JWs is unreal and left me feeling very cold as I read through this."

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2015/02/what-isis-really-wants/384980/

The heading of the Atlantic article reads: "The Islamic State is no mere collection of psychopaths. It is a religious group with carefully considered beliefs, among them that it is a key agent of the coming apocalypse. Here’s what that means for its strategy—and for how to stop it."
    Barbara
  • SonoftheTrinity
    SonoftheTrinity
    Simon you don't understand that Gulf Arabs hate dogs because Abu Hurayra (lit. Father of the Kitties) who was one of the Prophet's companions and wrote many of the Sunni hadiths, was a cat person. Cats are dirtier than dogs IMHO. He taught that if a dog is in your house the angels won't bless it. But this guy was a cat hoarder. His mosque was overrun with stray cats that he fed. He was also a misogynist.The Shia don't have a problem with dogs because they were his enemies, even the Maliki school don't have a problem with dogs. This individual I almost had a confrontation with was not Indonesian but rather a Gulf Arab Salafi. I speak Arabic, and familiarity breeds contempt. My neighborhood is full of Arab Christian refugees making the Salafi Muslim Arabs about as popular as the North Vietnamese were in the Vietnamese refugee community when I was a child. In any case they have to conform to our cultural expectations if they are in our country, otherwise they are just ungrateful. Multiculturalism must necessarily have limits in any nation. If you don't like Americans' dogs you don't like America.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit