I thought Babylon the Great had fallen

by beautifulisfree 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• beautifulisfree
    beautifulisfree

I swear the WTBS used to teach that 'Babylon the Great' had already fallen? And that 'false religion' was drying up? Is this what the society is 'correcting in their book? That it has not yet fallen...but anyday now it will be. I am so confused. How could current Jdubs not be?

So by 1919 Babylon the Great had fallen, opening the way for God’s people to be released and restored, in one day as it were, to their land of spiritual prosperity. (Isaiah 66:8) By that year, Jehovah God and Jesus Christ, the Greater Darius and the Greater Cyrus, had maneuvered matters so that false religion could no longer keep a hold on Jehovah’s people. No more could it prevent them from serving Jehovah and making known to all who might hear that harlotlike Babylon the Great is doomed and the vindication of Jehovah’s sovereignty is at hand!—Isaiah 45:1-4; Daniel 5:30, 31.
  • garybuss
    garybuss

"Evidently, Babylon the Great, although 'fallen', is still functioning"

(The Watchtower - May 1, 1989, p.5)

Like a Vegas hooker:-)

• Warlock
    Warlock

From what I remember, Babylon has fallen once in a spiritual way (with God) and is will fall in a physical way (destruction by God thru the U.N.).

Warlock

• james_woods
    james_woods

Pope on lifeline walkie talkie to Billy Graham (or maybe vice-versa): Help!! I've fallen and I can't get up!!!

Governing Body members mutter under their breath in glee, as they move in slow circles on their Hoveround home scooters...

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    6 So by 1919 Babylon the Great had fallen, invisibly

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

My understanding was that it is out of favour with god, but is still able to function until the UN steps in and destroys it.

• james_woods
    james_woods

"My understanding was that it is out of favour with god, but is still able to function until the UN steps in and destroys it." This was my understanding too, (of WT-speak), and that this happened in 1918. But, - But, - But, ----- when was it in favour with god? All the time before 1918? Anything wrong with this picture? And how come that many sectors of "Babylon the Great" are still growing while JW lose membership in US?

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    But, - But, - But, ----- when was it in favour with god?

Exactly! That don't make no sense.

They must have put false religion in the same section with the Corinthians. They’re just being really bad and need more guidance.

• blondie
    blondie

They teach that BTG fell in 1919 in the sense that it no longer controlled the WTS in being able to put the board of directors in prison and practically stop the WTS "preaching" work. They compare that with the historical aspect of original Babylon that "fell" to the Persians in 587 and the Israelites were released from captivity and returned to Jerusalem; Babylon was no longer a "world" power. But Babylon continued to exist as a city/entity for hundreds of years after that. At a yet future time (soon the WTS is saying again), BTG will be DESTROYED COMPLETELY which starts the GT which culminates with Armageddon.

The WTS has mentioned less and less and the waters drying up because many religions have had a surge in membership and activity. Since 1989 the WTS has avoided any comment on drying up.

w89 5/1 p. 5 Babylon the Great—Fallen and Judged ***

Now, 70 years later, we can see that in many parts of the earth, the influence of Babylon the Great has waned. True, religion still seems to prosper in the United States, where a more emotional sector of the populace is exploited by TV evangelists and religious psychologists.

Yet, even some of these materialistic charlatans have recently been unmasked and disgraced. Religion appears to flourish in the Republic of Korea, where Christendom’s churches have become deeply involved in politics. Evidently, Babylon the Great, although "fallen," is still functioning.

• sspo
    sspo

It fell in 1918 and since then it got up and doing quite well

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit