Stay at home Dads and Moms

by jayhawk1 25 Replies latest jw friends

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

For those who read what I say, may know I am going to College Full-Time. What you do not know is I have had a role reversal that started today. My wife has taken a Full-Time job during the week while I work at a part-time job on the weekends. It seems like it will work out while I am going to school. However, it does leave me in a strange position. Until today, I was the breadwinner while she stayed at home. I am finding myself doing more dishes and laundry. I now am in charge of making sure my daughter's homework is done and getting her to bed. I also have more time to devote toward home and auto improvements, which is a plus. Before all of my free time was pretty much used up either working, or unwinding.

How do you guys do it? How do you stay organized? What do you think? Is there anything special I should do for my wife? For certain this arrangement will be this way for the next several years as I intend to become a Mechanical Engineer with a minor in Manufacturing Business.

Thanks,

Jayhawk, who won't be attending KU because they don't have an Engineering program.

• parakeet
    parakeet

***How do you guys do it? How do you stay organized? What do you think?***
    Don't ask the guys!! Ask the moms!! :-) We've been taking care of children and homes for generations!
    First, treasure the fact that you can spend more time with your daughter -- the experience and memories cannot be replaced.
    Second, get a notebook or use the computer for making a schedule and to-do lists.
    Third, get a book or two about housekeeping -- I recommend Don Aslett's "Is There Life Beyond Housework?"
    Good luck and enjoy!

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I will check out the book. Maybe the library has it. There is another book I am interested in. It was something like 30 Days to a Better Organized You (or something like that).

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

bttt

• serendipity
    serendipity

I wasn't a stay at home mom, but my mom was. She targeted certain days for certain chores. She did laundry on Saturdays, major housecleaning on Mondays, etc. She made us kids care for our own rooms, and there WERE inspections. She also kept things organized, she cleaned as she cooked, and decluttered regularly. She had a fixed menu, so we knew that we'd have meatloaf every other Wednesday. That simplified cooking and shopping.

As far as doing things for your wife, ask her what she'd like you to do, and what she wants to handle herself. Since you're going to school and working part-time, you have a lot going on as well, so take care of yourself - and make sure your wife cares for herself as well. You also need to be sure your daughter's needs are cared for. In my opinion, caring for your physical and emotional needs would take precedence over housecleaning. It would be better to spend early evenings cooking a healthy meal and going for a bike ride or walk as a family rather than scrubbing toilets.

It's better to have energy to enjoy each other and enjoy life. My mom kept a clean house, but was always grumpy. I remember her grumpiness a lot more than I remember how clean the house was.

• mama1119
    mama1119

I am a mostly stay at home Mom ( I work the family business from home part time). It is the HARDEST job I have ever had!!! You definitetly have to keep organized as far as what needs to be done. I set aside certain days to do things for example:

Sunday and Wed: Clean bathrooms

Sunday: Change sheets on all beds

Monday: Entire house (sweeping, mopping, vacuming, etc)

Paydays (every week) Grocery Shopping

Pay Bills every other payday (every two weeks)

I find that spending a few minutes every morning and every evening on picking up etc also helps keep the house from getting out of control.

The ONE thing my husband does around the house is the lawn, so I don't have that on my list thank goodness!!!

Have fun!!!!!!!!

• Scully
    Scully

The main thing is to have a ROUTINE. When I was in college full-time, we lived within walking distance of campus. At least once a week, I had a block of about 3 hours worth of spare time on afternoons when the house was empty. I'd scoot home, clean the whole house from top to bottom (2 hours total), put a chicken and potatoes in the oven for dinner, and then head back to my late class. When I came home, all I had to do was take the roasting pan out of the oven, make a salad and some veggies and dinner was ready.

After dinner, the leftover chicken would get separated from the bones, the bones would go in the slow cooker overnight with some water to make broth, and the meat would go in the fridge to make soup, chicken pot pie and sandwiches. The next morning I would have cut up celery and carrots ready to go in the broth the next morning and it would simmer all day in the slow cooker. At the end of the day in time for dinner, I'd just toss in some noodles or rice and some of the leftover chicken for homemade soup.

Working night shifts, I still use my slow cooker all the time to make soup, stews, roasts. I can take a pot roast out of the freezer in the morning and pop it in the slow cooker before I go to bed, add a packet of onion soup mix and a can of mushroom soup and have an amazing dinner ready when I wake up at 4:30 or 5pm.

We had a bedtime tidy up routine with the kids every day too. Nothing creates stress like clutter, so we made a point of putting toys away, clearing out piles of loose paper and straightening up every evening before bed. The kids learned that a little time tidying every day spared them a huge unpleasant clean up on the weekends when they really wanted to do fun stuff.

Multi-tasking is a great way to accomplish tasks while you're doing something else. Before I hop in the shower, I'll spray the bathroom mirror and sink with Windex, and spend a minute cleaning the loo. When I'm in the shower, I use one of those microfibre cloths to wipe the soap residue off the tiles - another couple of minutes while my conditioner is working - and then when I'm done in the shower, I wipe the mirror and sink down. It only takes an extra 5 minutes and I've showered and cleaned the bathroom. On the weekends the tub gets scrubbed and the floor gets washed, but overall it's always clean.

Laundry is my nemesis. I hate it. The only way I can manage it is to do a little of it every day. I can tolerate folding and putting away one basket a day (throw in a load of whites in the morning, come home and put it in the dryer and start a load of darks, fold the whites and put the darks in the dryer at bedtime) over doing a whole week's worth of laundry on the weekend. I'd rather shove wet bamboo skewers under my toenails than spend a Saturday or Sunday doing 7 days' worth of laundry for the whole family.

This is one of my favorite websites: www.flylady.net The site owner helps people create routines for housekeeping, and her "trick" is to take otherwise overwhelming tasks and break them down into 15-minute chunks. Even kids can do this - put on a timer and see whether they can "beat the clock" at a certain task. It even works when they need to do homework. Her motto is "you can do anything for 15 minutes."

• earthtone
    earthtone

Nice site Scully and kudos to you and all the other women who do this (kids,job,housework).

Personally I don't have any advice to give. My husband does all the housework ( laundry, and household cleaning). I might wash dishes everyonce in awhile but I just mainly cook. He does work partime(30hrs) and I work 40+. It a perfect arrangment since I hate housework. But we do not have any kids. But I think in the future this arrangement will continue. I think it will work for us. I'll ask him how he keeps the house so spotless (and I not exaggerating).

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Parakeet,I`m gonna send you to the "Birdie Glue Factory!"..LOL!.....JayHawk1,your wife is working.When she comes home have a nice bath and dinner waiting..Make sure the house is clean,and laundry done..If she takes a lunch,make it for her..Make sure the kids are up in time for school&home work done.Be sure they have breakfast and a lunch packed..The rest you can figure out as it comes up...OUTLAW

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I should add to this my daughter has a severe learning disability. She is seven, but mentally she might be about 4. She behaves very well and does what I tell her, but homework is a pain in the butt. The school has her in special education half the day too. My wife used to be the one who got to help the girl along, but now it is my turn. Well first night went about as smooth as one could hope for. My girl had a moment where she broke down and cried about not having her mom, but I know it will get better. Truth is, I miss her mom too. My wife will be home well after my girl and I go to bed, but there will be time in the morning to go over things.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit