What Good Are Watchtower Apologists To This Site?

by minimus 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Zico
    Zico

I think they are very important. When I first started doubting, I really wanted to believe the Organisation had the truth. I read anti-607 sites, but then I read pro-607 sites, and I was very confused, but leaned more to the side of the Pro ones, since they gave me what I wanted. However, when I actually saw 607 supporters debate their opinions with those who agreed with the 586/7 date, it became obvious that the JW apologists were wrong, as I saw them refuse to argue certain questions, and misrepresent facts, unlike the 'apostates' who took the time to go through each of their points and prove them wrong.

3rd Witness, Scholar and others will probably never accept what they are told, but I'm sure there are many Witnesses who read these debates and see that the JW apologists arguments cannot stand up to scrutiny.

• minimus
    minimus

What I mean is that we're seeing less "Fred Halls" and more so-called "Scholars" popping up. This, imo, is no coincidence. The Watchtower is trying a different tactic that they obviously would never share with the rank and file. It's all about "theocratic strategy".

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Got to agree with you Min..The time and effort put into these debates.3rd already admitted he`s got a crew,and could`nt posibly put up an arguement with out the WBTS publications..Makes you wonder...OUTLAW

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

For me they are critical - firstly to provide another viewpoint - I don't want objectivity I want both sides of each argument argued with passion! Secondly - they are the most revealing , doctrinally, of all threads as people like me don't have a lifetime of JW doctrinal experience but when each doctrine is discussed in minutea and from both sides it is absolutely fascinating.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings Min,

I hope they continue to lurk here. Ones like Dozy at least give us the inside scoop of what's going on. I also think that as time goes on and this site continues to swell with it's membership, it will continue to "smoke" people out. Hopefully ones I know.

Dismembered

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I like this site because it generally tolerates people of all persuasions.

However, it is usually blindingly clear that those with the weakest arguments resort to personal attacks and feeble jibes quickly. It has helped me see how to debate politely and how make a strong argument without causing an argument.

It seems to me that the JW apologists are usually (though not always) the rudest posters.

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

What kind of argument could they possibly present?

Apologist: "Blah Blah Blah 607 Invisible Jesus Paradise"

Me: "You guys would rather kill your own kids than disagree with some fanatical cult leader about blood transfusions even though they have a track record of comedic proportion, you also look forward to the day when 6 Billion people die in agony so you can move out of your garage apartment and live in my bay-front house."

Apologist: "Apostate Lies!"

• done4good
    done4good
    Like I said, I believe the WT. is sponsoring their being here to provide disinformation.

I dunno. But I tend to think the WT is too naive to understand the wealth of collective knowledge we have at this site, which could also be used to argue why they may be trying to use this method. They probably vastly underestimate the apostate's ability to present the facts, hence assuming that some bethel "wiz kid" could handle it. It probably wouldn't happen if Franz, (Fred), was still around, as most of the doctrine was his anyway, and he would probably fear the facts comming out.

j

• kid-A
    kid-A

I have no doubt about their entertainment value. Beyond that, I see little use in their presence at all.

One could argue that they bring arguments concerning JW doctrine to the forefront of the discussions. This is only partially true, and in a very circumscribed way. The only "theme" that is ever debated by these "apologists" (ad nauseum I may add) is the 607 date. This has been going on for years at this site, with the same inevitable conclusion: circular debates going round and round, the same evidence trotted out, the same predictable denials by the apologists. The problem is, 607 is such small potatoes compared to what the public really NEEDS to know about the watchtower organization: the murderous blood policy, hypocrisy vis-a-vis the UN association, protection of child molesters, destruction of families, and the list goes on.

My own perception? The apologists have been using the 607 bible-chronology masturbation threads to DETRACT from the far more serious issues at hand. Given the amount of energy and bandwidth devoted on this board to "607" versus real issues of life and death concerning the borg, they have been royally successful in this aim.

Beyond the 607 club, the vast majority of apologist posters are hit-and-run nut-jobs intent at voicing their rage at our evil apostate agenda.

The board would be just as innovative, would cover just as many issues concerning the outrages of the WTS and have just as much appeal in the absence of watchtower apologists.

• minimus
    minimus

The Watchtower regularly exhorts their followers to stay away from the internet for a reason. Once you try to defend JWs here-----FORGET IT! You're dead meat!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit