Newbie needs help

by Kaytam 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Kaytam
    Kaytam

Hi, I need some help here, if possible. I have been depressed, drinking and just got myself in a mess. I know I can pull out of it, but feel that Spirituality is important to me. I don't believe the Witnesses are the answer and will just add to my problems. I have been wanting to go to a Church that was recommended to me by some clients. It seems really upbeat and fun and may just be the answer to help me. I guess the service is less than two hours half consisting of singing along with a live modern Christian band. This really sounds like something I could enjoy. Here is what I can't overcome...every Saturday I decide I am going to get up and go Sunday, but then I just can't make myself, because I think what if this really is wrong or the unforgivable sin, etc. etc. I have also just thought about getting a second and part time job to fill my time, but my current full time job is not really predictable and what ever part time job I got would pretty much have to let me be very flexible. I feel getting involved in a Christian Church would be my best answer but just can't do it. Has anyone out there overcome these feelings and how? Thanks for any input.

• KW13
    KW13

I found that there was a need to attend some kind of organized church thingy, i did it and for a while it fulfilled my purpose and i got myself out of a mess.

Do it ONLY if you think it will help you and your 100% certain its what you need, i started going to an anglican church and i made myself a lot of friends there and concentrated on being happy.

Now i don't even attend Church, its not a need i need fulfilling and i am happy.

i wish you all the best! hang around here, you might like it.

Once you make a decision, do your best to stick by it, find fun and simple things to do at the Church, ask the leader for some small responsibilities later, as you to know her/him.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yeah, it sounds like some old phobias are getting in the way. Check with your church friends. Many of these dynamic churches have bible study nights. They are usually in someone's home, only a half-dozen people. It is much more intimate, gives you a chance to recharge your spiritual batteries, and might prove to be a helpful stepping-stone away from old fears. Also, the good ones serve FOOD. AND you can ask ANY question you want.

A thought, anyways.

• Kaytam
    Kaytam

If I could just move past the thoughts that it is wrong to go to another church or organization.

• KW13
    KW13

i know how you feel, but you have to take small steps. dont think "i am going to a new organization" think, "i am going to visit church tomorrow" and slowly, make it a part of your routine (when and if it suits you).

honestly, make the jump! it will change your life, i know its hard when your in a place, that you think you can't get out of but once you commit yourself, it becomes easy and the damage done by the society is slowly undone.

• freetosee
    freetosee

The organisation concept was injected into us as jws. If you want to stay Christian, remember that Jesus said, when two come together in has name He is with them. The bible does not use the word organisation, it is the WTS and other cults that put so much emphasis an organisational membership. BTW, visiting another church does not make you a member. Paul, when preaching in Athens, took a good look at other religions and philosophies before giving his speech. Why not do the same? The first Christians may have felt the same way you feel when they left Judaism to become Jesus followers.

I think seeking professional help is good advice after leaving a cult. The fears and guilt is deeply rooted after many years of association. I’m not Christian, but I encourage you to read the gospels and find encouragement in the words you find regarding your relationship with Jesus –not organisations. fts

• KW13
  • freetosee
    freetosee

C T Russell would be disfellowshipped if he held on to his assessments of religious organisations like he stated in the early Watchtowers:

1893 There is no organization to-day clothed with such divine authority to imperiously command mankind...though we are well aware that many of them in theory claim that they ought to be permitted to do so. (Watchtower, Sept. 1, 1893, p. 266)

1895 Beware of "organization." It is wholly unnecessary. The Bible rules will be the only rules you will need. Do not seek to bind others' consciences, and do not permit others to bind yours. Believe and obey so far as you can understand God's Word today. (Watchtower Sept. 15, 1895, p. 216)

• poppers
    poppers

"If I could just move past the thoughts that it is wrong to go to another church or organization."
    Don't let yourself become a slave to thoughts. Thoughts are just thoughts, they have no substance. Beliefs are made up of thoughts too, so why become a slave to something without any real substance?

• Swan
    Swan

Welcome Kaytam!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit