Is it time for apostasy to get organised?

by nicolaou 19 Replies latest forum suggestions

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I like things the way they are right now. The Watchtower are never sure which direction the next 'assualt' will come from and we often get the jump on them. But I was wondering if, in addition to all the solo efforts, it might be time to set up something a little more permanent.

I know that my disfellowshipping is only a matter of time - perhaps months - and when it happens I'll have the freedom to act in a way that I cannot risk at present. For a long time I've thought of setting up a UK charity for the purposes of assisting individuals out of the Watchtower and to provide support networks for those who need it. A charity could also provide a credible outlet for information to the local and national media.

Of course, a UK charity could only operate within the UK but that's okay for me. The more I think about this the more I want to do it. Think of the effect simple ideas can have, like the 'Jehovah's Witness Recovery' line being listed immediately below 'Jehovah's Witnesses' in every 'phone directory.

I know that running a charity would consume much time and effort but I also know that I'm motivated enough to do this and my work patterns are flexible enough to allow it. Once I am disfellowshipped I believe even my wife would approve of this - her eyes have been opened a lot over the past few years.

I'm learning a lot about the protocol bit in truth I know little of running a charity and would welcome advice and suggestions.

Nic'

• KW13
    KW13

i think organized means practical, and more fit for purpose - its a very good and interesting idea!

• freetosee
    freetosee

Your idea is very good and worth developing. I’m sure there must be support groups in the UK. Every other city in Germany has support groups and government appointees to help people with cult experiences. And since 9/11 this problem is getting more attention, since the mechanisms of mind control are the same with all cults. fts

• free2beme
    free2beme

Anything you did would find an equal amount of approval, as it would find disapproval from the former Witness. Would lead to much frustration, and in the end you will learn that the former Witnesses are about finding their own help and not leaning on another organization to do it for them. We are a very stubborn bunch, by nature, because of the common road that lead us all to this point.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I think you are on to a great idea. I'd be interested in learning more. Please keep me posted.

shelley

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

free2beme

you are right of course but I suppose it's not always the stubborn and hardheaded who need assistance (and in many cases all the assistance most leavers would need is to be directed here). I often think of those who are disfellowshipped and don't know where to turn - we often forget that many households, perhaps even the majority of JW's households, still do not have internet access.

A directory listing and small ads in the press may be noticed by a despairing teen who has just been booted by his cong' and is being shunned by his family. Being able to talk to someone over the 'phone just to console them, to reassure them that they aren't on their own - surely it's worth thinking about?

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Hey, suicidal people have help lines. People who get tossed to the curb like yesterday's trash by the bOrg need that emotional support that they eventually return to the org. to get. Your charity could be the factor that helps people to escape and stay out. Godspeed, Nicolaou.

• searcher
    searcher

nicolaou

I would be interested in helping with such a charity, keep me posted please.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I don't know how much luck you'd have establishing a charity with the express aim of opposing a registered religion/charity, given the laws about such legal entities, but it's certainly worth investigating.

Good luck on your own extraction. I hope it bears fruit with your own family

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

I'd like the south east US franchise.

UWUF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit