Was you ever an attendent or had an attendent in the family?

by jayhawk1 21 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

Any large gathering needs attendants, or ushers. Here's some links on how the Billy Graham crusade is run for comparison. I've noticed that the WTBTS does not have an 'altar call', no volunteer counsellors, or follow up to the appeal. At a WTS convention, people listen, clap, pick up their literature, and go home. I think the Billy Graham crusades do give a satisfying sense of purpose to the participating churches as trained volunteers have an opportunity to follow up with new converts.

http://www.wheaton.edu/bgc/archives/docs/haytxt.html

Q & A from the Billy Graham Crusade site:

Q. How do churches share in a crusade?

A. In some cases, through the addition of new members, but apart from this numerical benefit, they share through the participation of their members in ways such as:
    1. Counselors who are trained and motivated to help inquirers at the meetings and as they gain experience in spiritual counseling and leading small group Bible Studies.
    2. Choir members who rehearse and sing music which prepares the hearts of those in attendance to respond to the Gospel.
    3. Ushers who greet, distribute programs, collect an offering and serve as needed.

These and other opportunities for participation have made the rekindling of spiritual fervor in the hearts of church members one of the major accomplishments of the crusades. The backbone of a successful crusade is the gift of the evangelist joined with the gifts of local pastors and their people.

http://www.billygraham.org/mediaRelations/crusadeFAQ.asp

Usher application form:

http://www.billygraham.org/GGC_Usher.asp

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I did it lots of times - largely when I was young, because when i was married we used to work together as a couple in food service.

When I was doing it , I saw more of things the same way as Wozadummy, and certainly there is a need for order and direction. Even the most placid crowd could be a dangerous place if not directed .

Once I stopped doing it I sadly came to see it more like this quote

It all the power ! Its just like being a milk monitor in kindergarden..............

Too often instructions are applied in a draconian fashion and a sharp tone of voice used. Too little training, poor selection, any baptised male can do it and too many rules for them to apply..Sister BB has given them a sharp retort quite often

• lesterd
    lesterd

Yes, only I was to keep a low profile, myself and a few other brothers who has recently been released from prison were chosen and asigned for "security" in the areas the the GB moved through at the convention. We had just endured an ordea, some of up to 5 years, that prepared us, suspicius of everyone and looking for a fight to pick out outsiders looking to harm or distrupt the convention. How did we fell about it..Like Jehovahs protecting angels.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I was an attendant one time and I didn't like it. I did the count and it was extra easy. I just counted all the chairs before the sessions started and then at the time for the count, I just counted the empty chairs and in about 30 seconds I had the count.
    I felt uncomfortable out in front of all those people and I felt unappreciated. It must be kinda how a police officer feels. I did it one day and never reported back.
    The way I did that count, hell I coulda counted that whole building by myself in 30 minutes. They musta had 50 suits countin empty seats. After I was married I hated assemblies.

• aoxo
    aoxo

yes i was several times. a lot of the above mentioned feelings. there were a lot of jerk kids who would mess with you while i was standing up with the "please be seated" signs. i felt like a cop and i didn't like that. most people just ignored us. a lot of the brothers did have a high and mighty attitude, especialy the parking lot attendants. they were mostly of the ghetto attitudes and bossed people around the parking lots. i always hated those guys, especialy when there were young kids yelling "walk in da line walk in da line". im glad i dont go to those anymore, i don't miss all that crap.

• aoxo
    aoxo

also, there was nothing that represented the disorganization more than being an attendant. usually when we gathered for a cleaning assignment nobody knew what was supposed to be done. we stood around for about a half hour before someone told us what to do and then they were usualy belittled by the instructions of someone else higher in the chain of command. nobody knew what they were supposed to do. i hated volunteering because of that. of course there were others who thought they knew everything about the volunteering project but realy just wanted to be big shot and tell people what to do.

• Gregor
    Gregor

A few times at circuit assemblies. When I was old enough I started volunteering for foodservice, expediting, etc. Anything for a legitimate excuse not to be a 'middle man' trapped in a slick seated metal folding chair in the middle of an isle in the middle of a fairgrounds building in the middle of summer in the middle of California. With a necktie. Fairgrounds always have an abundance of flies too.

I think being an attendent had a lot of appeal for the above reasons.

• Forscher
    Forscher

yep,
    Did it a few times. No sense of power felt for me. About the only departments I haven't worked in were Admin. (have to be an elder) and accounting. My faves were expediting and the kitchen back in the days when we had hot meals in the cafeterias. I scrambled a many an egg and fried a many a chicken for folks back then!
    Forscher

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes I had this privilege on a number of occasions – that of being an attendant. Never thought I was better than anybody else.Alwys wished more would do the job privilege to lighten the load

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

I used to be in charge of a literature release station at every convention, so technically I was an attendant. I really enjoyed it, but then I was 16 and telling everyone what they could and couldn't do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit