I don't get it

by lola28 42 Replies latest jw friends

• lola28
    lola28

I need some help in understanding something that's been bothering me for a while, please give me some insight on this. I often see posts here where some take shots at elders and witnesses for working as janitors and window washers, and it's always bothered me. I mean does it really matter what they do for a living as long as they are making a living honestly? Please tell me why it is okay to take shots at ppl. who are doing honest work, what does it matter to you if someone is a pioneer and cleans houses to support him/herself, how does that HURT you? I'd really like to hear what you guys have to say about this.

Lola

• Gill
    Gill

Absolutely NOTHING wrong with being a janitor or window cleaner.

The problem with JWs is that they think it's some kind of badge of honour to be uneducated.

Have you ever been harrassed day after day, week after week, month after month, by these same janitor/window cleaner Elders, who want to know why you well educated, engineer husband is daring to work overtime, why you have a new coat and why you have a new TV?

Have you ever had these same ass holes come round while you were pregnant and tell you that you're going to die because you don't put the Kingdom First (meaning your husband is educated, and has a good job and you were pretty bright and got 10 O levels and 3 A levels) and that soon, you're going to die with your baby and children, because you don't put 10 hours a month in, and don't attend every single meeting.

They are jealous, uneducated, morons.

I've put it as simply as I can.

But with ordinary janitors and window cleaners, they're cool!

• Forscher
    Forscher

The objections are more specifically on the lack of education and/or training which folks who've always worked those kind of jobs have to hold the kind of godlike authority they wield over people's lives.
    Forscher

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

I agree. I don't think their occupation has anything to do with it. I think the issue is when these people start giving marital advice and pose as therapists and experts when they are not educated to do so. That really riles me up.
    tall penguin

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

lola, lola, lola.....

I often see posts here where some take shots at elders and witnesses for working as janitors and window washers, and it's always bothered me.

My Mama always told me remember when you're pointing your finger at someone else three are pointing back at you! It's more about them IMHO than anything else.

I think they are trying to make fun of the lack of education to get a more prestigious job, you know JW's don't go to college and all that. Funny thing is they don't consider the self education in running your own business and the freedom of being your own boss while all these ne'r-do-wells are working for the man. Umpt!

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

I don't think they mean it to be demeaning of the profession, actually you can make a lot of money doing janitorial work. I think the sentiment is more of a if the society hadn't discouraged higher education, there would be those that fulfilled their desire to pursue more of a secular education and pick a career that they enjoyed. I don't think any kid ever says as they are growing up, ooh, I want to be a janitor when I grow up and clean toilets. Even though I have a pretty well paying job, I would have liked to have gone to college and do something different than what I am doing now. But my whole life all I ever heard was "armageddon is right around the corner."

• hambeak
    hambeak

I personally resented being chastised for wanting to go to college. I really wanted to be an MD but was severely counciled against it so I went 4 years anyway and became an RN. Hated nursing so I went back and got a degree in business. Because I want to be in control of myself. By the way I put myself through college working as a Janitor and it is honorable hard work and low pay.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Lola,

From what I see, I think when ones make such comments, it is not directed at the ones job, so much as to their following blindly the advise of the organization. They are TOTALLY against education, and only put those on pedistals who are "sacraficing" a education for Jehovah. It is absolutely ridiculous thinking. I think many here including myself have at one time or another had such a job. Thank goodness I woke up and now have been educated in a feild that will always take care of my family if something happened to my husband. I have NEVER left or abandoned my love for Jehovah or Jesus by getting a education. In fact I will tell you I firmly believe he helped us get our heads on straight and helped us get a better job so not so much pressure was on us anymore to make ends meet. So.. when you see ones joke about the JWs menial jobs, I don't believe it is because of their type of job as much as it is their blindly following whatever it is they are told they must or should do without using the brain God gave them.

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• lola28
    lola28
    secular education and pick a career that they enjoyed

whose to say they don't enjoy their jobs?

Lola

• carla
    carla

I don't think anyone here has a problem with the jobs themselves. The problem is that these same men who have no education feel qualified to give medical advice, martial advice, counseling rape victims, abuse victims and on and on. If a loved one of yours was in need of an operation do you think the hospital janitor would be the best one to give the advice? If a loved one lived through the horror of sexual abuse would you go to the local window washer to help them heal? Elders are not trained in anything other than jw dogma, certainly not qualified to give advice of anysort to anyone I love.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit