Were you the only JW in your family?

by karen96 12 Replies latest jw friends

• karen96
    karen96

I was. Sometimes I think of all the pain I caused my parents when I left their home to pursue my bible studies. It happend right around the holidays and my father's birthday, and seemed to be such a slap in the face to him. He almost didn't come to my wedding, to walk me down the aisle, since I would not attend family functions around holidays and birthdays (he did walk me down the aisle; after I made some appearances but made it clear I was not celebrating).

Now that I am out, I am so glad I have been able to repair my relationships with my parents and siblings. One Christmas, we were all over my folks house (about 30 kids and grandkids), and my dad whispered to me "This is what it's all about - family being together". It really made me appreciate being there to share that for him.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

Karen

• Ironhead
    Ironhead

I was the only witness in my family. Although they weren't happy that I rejected the catholic faith, they respected my decisions. What used to annoy me, the society always saying that the brothers are your family. That was something I could never except. My high and mighty attitude could've destroyed my relationship with my mothers and brothers, but it became apparent blood is thicker than water. When I struggled with my health it was my fleshly brothers who came to my assistance not those in the hall.

• karen96
    karen96

i had many experiences like that too, where I would find myself in a jam, and my "worldly" family would be at my assistance in a heartbeat.

I'm glad you are back with your family.

karen

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I was the only jw in my family too, joining the borg at 21. I know my parents were hurt by me becoming a jw, but they respected my decision. I know the thing that hurt them most was my choice of career. They made sacrifices to help me through university, and when I got my degree I didn't really use it to build a worthwhile career, choosing to work part -time and pioneer instead.

I know they always hoped I'd come to my senses and get out of the jws, but my dad died a few years ago, when I was still a jw. My mum is very happy that I'm out though, and I do feel a little guilty that I put my parents through all those years of disappointment. I can't get them back, I only wish I could.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Karen,

You are so lucky!

Isn't it amazing how people/family of other faiths accept and respect the JW family members, but get treated like shit by the JW's. They expect to receive respect of all non-JW in their beliefs but never give what the expect!

• target
    target

Karen

You are indeed lucky! I was baptized the beginning of June, 1972, so of course I ignored Father's Day that month. Little did I know that it was the last Father's Day for my father. He died the following January. I still feel the guilt.

Target

• karen96
    karen96

(((Target)))

I'm so sorry! It must be really painful for you. I think of that constantly now that my father's health is deteriorating "What if I was still a JW, and something happened to him?" I am so sorry for your loss in so many ways.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Outside of my stepmom and stepbrother, yes. And I didn't meet her till the age of 19. By 21, I started studying.

None of my blood relatives are/were ever dubs. I was always told to stay away from them because they were wrong about everything. Ha!

There were many family members who didn't even know I was studying because I was embarrassed to tell. I still went to all the big Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and Easter dinners! Those were the times when we were all together.

• kazar
    kazar

I was raised a Catholic and attended Catholic school. At 17 I met Jehovah's Witnesses and converted. No other family members ever became Jehovah's Witnesses. They were a mix of atheists, Methodists and Catholics.

At Christmas time I always missed the comaraderie I had always felt that time of year with my relatives, 'though none of them (except my father) ever criticized my religion.

• sspo
    sspo

I was the only one that accepted the "truth" but my worldly family nevere rejected me for being another religion, always there for me in showing love.

My wife's family that were all in truth, large family of 30-40 of them, they hardly ever talk to each other because they all view the truth different and they all become overly rightous and not have anything to do with one another.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit